Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

iPod PAL

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iPod PAL

Any body know if the iPod PAL works with a 09 Cobalt SS i took it to get one install at the dealership and there having troble getting it to work. Im going to drop it off on monday but they gave me my car back on friday and my radio has no sound they ran out of time.
Old 08-15-2009, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

I can look it up to see if it works on an 09, but for 09 you should have just gotten the radio with the USB port in it for the iPod. I have it in my 09 and it rocks!
Old 08-15-2009, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I can look it up to see if it works on an 09, but for 09 you should have just gotten the radio with the USB port in it for the iPod. I have it in my 09 and it rocks!
My car didnt come with a USB port on it, only aux

Last edited by brandnewyc; 08-15-2009 at 07:14 PM. Reason: typo
Old 08-15-2009, 09:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by brandnewyc
My car didnt come with a USB port on it, only aux
I realize that. I'm kind of saying you should have spent the money for the USB radio, even now as with parts and labor on this personal audio link that isn't working you could have had the USB.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Gene Culley
I realize that. I'm kind of saying you should have spent the money for the USB radio, even now as with parts and labor on this personal audio link that isn't working you could have had the USB.
Yeah well im not gonna pay Chevrolet dealer for the PAL unless it works. I bought the only Cobalt SS they had when i bought it. There not going to get any more 2009's
Old 08-16-2009, 05:07 PM

I had one installed on an 08... it required programming with a tech 2 in order for it to work properly. Did you do any of the install for the PAL yourself, or was this install done by the dealer from the beginning? In my case I installed mine myself, but had the final tech 2 programming done so I wouldn't lose my XM radio.

Bottom line: Yes, the PAL should work just fine with the radio as it sounds like you have the 08 headunit (no USB port). It requires removing a pin and wiring directly into the bcm. The bcm will need to be reflashed afterwards in order to retain XM, otherwise it will work just fine, but no XM...
Old 08-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
I had one installed on an 08... it required programming with a tech 2 in order for it to work properly. Did you do any of the install for the PAL yourself, or was this install done by the dealer from the beginning? In my case I installed mine myself, but had the final tech 2 programming done so I wouldn't lose my XM radio.

Bottom line: Yes, the PAL should work just fine with the radio as it sounds like you have the 08 headunit (no USB port). It requires removing a pin and wiring directly into the bcm. The bcm will need to be reflashed afterwards in order to retain XM, otherwise it will work just fine, but no XM...
The dealer started the install from the beginning they worked on it for 3 hours then they said i could take a rental home or bring it back on monday. I brought it home because i just bought the car im just hoping it works with my radio. They also said they never installed one before. When i ordered it they said the rpo code matches the kit but when i was leaving the guy in the sevice department told me it might not work. Thanks i hope your right.
Old 08-17-2009, 09:52 AM

Pulling the pin and rewiring is the hardest part (the BCM is located behind the front passenger panel, below the radio, in the center console)... It took me about 3 hours to do the wiring and position the PAL module (should be positioned below the radio, mounted to a flat metal plate that is back there) and about 20 mintues for the dealer to reprogram everything...

Since they have never done one before I think the 3 hours is fair - don't be overly alarmed yet. It sounds like they are having issues with the pin as well (it takes a special GM tool - looks like a special hook - or a lot of patience). However, if they take more than another hour on it I would inquire as to the problem. Considering they have all the resources (tools, tech 2, etc.) this would only be a 1 1/2- 2 hour job for a gm dealership that has done an install before (double the time for one that hasn't)...

What the dealership is saying that the PAL may not work on an 09 due to the 09 operating system (different than an 08)... however if that occurs it will only show up in the programming with the tech 2 and I highly doubt it will since your headunit seems to be the same as the 08...

If they are still having problems, let me know what the problem is and I hopefully I will be able to determine if they are giving you the run around...

The thing about the BCM is that there are a tons of pins and distinguishing the right one to pull is tricky... pull the wrong one and you will not have a properly functioning radio...
Old 08-17-2009, 08:01 PM

Originally Posted by Nakaiya21
Pulling the pin and rewiring is the hardest part (the BCM is located behind the front passenger panel, below the radio, in the center console)... It took me about 3 hours to do the wiring and position the PAL module (should be positioned below the radio, mounted to a flat metal plate that is back there) and about 20 mintues for the dealer to reprogram everything...

Since they have never done one before I think the 3 hours is fair - don't be overly alarmed yet. It sounds like they are having issues with the pin as well (it takes a special GM tool - looks like a special hook - or a lot of patience). However, if they take more than another hour on it I would inquire as to the problem. Considering they have all the resources (tools, tech 2, etc.) this would only be a 1 1/2- 2 hour job for a gm dealership that has done an install before (double the time for one that hasn't)...

What the dealership is saying that the PAL may not work on an 09 due to the 09 operating system (different than an 08)... however if that occurs it will only show up in the programming with the tech 2 and I highly doubt it will since your headunit seems to be the same as the 08...

If they are still having problems, let me know what the problem is and I hopefully I will be able to determine if they are giving you the run around...

The thing about the BCM is that there are a tons of pins and distinguishing the right one to pull is tricky... pull the wrong one and you will not have a properly functioning radio...
They installed it today it works great. The dealership ordered the wrong install kit they said. Thanks for your help.
Old 08-18-2009, 09:22 AM

no problem... I am glad to hear that everything worked out...