Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Issue Installing Headunit on Base 05 Cobalt

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Issue Installing Headunit on Base 05 Cobalt

Hello everyone,

Upon reading the DIY guides on these forums, I purchased a Kenwood KDC-108 headunit, Metra 70-2103 harness, and the Metra antenna adapter to replace my headunit. However, I have encountered many issues and was wondering if you could please help clarify some of my problems, as I have not done this before.

Upon correctly wiring the wiring harness wires to the Kenwood harness, the kenwood unit did not power on. I then noticed that the red Kenwood harness wire was not used, and saw that the Metra harness stated that a separate red 12V accessory wire needed to be connected. I tried connecting the included accessory wire to the wiper fuse on my fuse box and the fuse on my kenwood unit, however, the unit still did not power on. After trying several different fuses and connecting the red accessory wire to the red wire from the kenwood harness instead of the kenwood fuse, the headunit still did not work.

I can answer more specific troubleshooting questions later, however, this is my current situation:

The most I could get out of the Kenwood unit is I could hear gears turning when pressing eject; no display or audio ever functioned.

My wipers and power steering no longer work, and both of the fuses for those devices are fine.

Basically, how EXACTLY do I wire an aftermarket headunit, using the Metra harness? I thought it would work without the accessory wire and just using the yellow-to-yellow constant wires.

Thank you for your advice.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:09 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
no it wont work without acc. and the player will eject without acc so thats the sound ur hearing

do u have anything hooked up to the red wire in the metra harness at all?

what exactly is the red fusebox wire doing? (going from where to where with what connected, how were connections made ect)