Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

I've read the entire Sticky on putting in an aftermarket hu and am still confused...

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've read the entire Sticky on putting in an aftermarket hu and am still confused...

I have a 2007 LT, all I have is the regular factory radio, no XM, no OnStar, just the factory radio with an aux hole to hook up an ipod (which I dont really care about anyway)

I read that all I would need would be just a regular harness like you would use on any other car to put in an aftermarket h/u. Is this actually true? I went to a shop nearby and they said I'd need an adapter to not lose the factory door chimes and whatnot, which I've also read is false. Is all this information true on the 07's? I'd really like to install a new h/u myself, but I've only done one before and it was on a 92 Camry which was already super modified and had a million miles on it so I didnt mind messing around with the wiring and stuff, however, this is my first brand new car and I don't exactly want to go around messing everything up. Some help would be appreciated, and as I've said, I read the whole sticky thing, all five pages.

Thanks guys.

Okay, I've read tons of posts on this topic and still cannot figure out what the right answer is. Crutchfield's outfit my car says I need the Metra GMOS-LAN-03, but I dont even have OnStar....I really dont want to spend a bunch of money on a harness if I dont have to....

Does anyone know of a harness that doesn't account for OnStar and just the door chimes and stuff?

This topic is my very first post btw, I'm definitely a newbie here.

Last edited by BarbiesCobalt; 08-11-2007 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 PM

Hello.....I do believe that you have to have an adapter to keep everything working correctly. Without it your door chimes and air bags could be affected! I have an 01 Grand am and had Circut City install a new head unit, amp & speakers and they never told me anything about the adapter ( probably because it cost $129 for the Grand am ). This was back in 2002...about a year later my head unit was stolen and I had circut City put the stock unit back in. Just a few months ago the radio was acting up ( amp was bad ) and i was goingto get a new head unit with the HD radio but I was told the same thing about the adapter. I decided not to pay that much and just took the amp out and had the speakers re-routed to work off of the head unit. After I got the car back my door chimes worked & the radio played when I turned the car off untill I opened my doors which I didn't remember that car doing. Thats becasue it was hooked back up to the factory head unit and wasn't by passed. My air bags could have been affected also and I would have never known unless I was in a wreck. I believe that you do need the adapter if you replace your head unit in your cobalt as well!

Sorry about the long reply, just wanted to give you my first hand experience on the matter.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:30 PM

Hey dont worry about the long reply lol

Thanks for the info
Old 08-11-2007, 08:03 PM

hey

you will need a bypass module unit that wires between the aftermarket hu and your factory harness, the ss/sc and ss/na cobalts require a slightly different module because they have onstar and the other stuff. the reg LT cobalts require a very similar module which will keep your door chimes and such and cause no issues with your airbags either
Old 08-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Okay well,

I'm just having a local shop put in a new head unit for me.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mcoder77
Hello.....I do believe that you have to have an adapter to keep everything working correctly. Without it your door chimes and air bags could be affected! snip......
An '01 Grand Am is not a Cobalt, and the airbag thing is just hearsay!!

To the OP, with the '07's, you will lose your door chimes if you replace the factory head unit. I would imagine the expensive adapter box fixes that but I'm not sure. With the '05s and '06s the chimes were not affected by replacing the head unit.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:39 AM

I just got my system installed in my 07 G5 GT WITHOUT the gmos lan 04 ****. The only thing i lost is my door chimes. The only reason I lost those were because the file to "chime" the doors is imbedded in the cd player. The air bag harness has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the cd player. Infact, If you pull out your center console, you will see a silver box under the cd player(not attached). This is your Air bag computer. Just some info to finally answer some peoples questions.
Old 08-12-2007, 09:46 AM

Thanks guys for the replys! The guys at the shop are going to use the Metra GMOS-LAN-03 which is exactly what crutchfield says my car needs, so I'm good with it. They actually tried a different one first not made by Metra, I think it was made by Nuculous or something like that because thats what their computer said my car needed, but it wouldn't communicate properly with the speakers so I'm getting the Metra one at the other price which is nice.

I'm getting the Alpine CDA-9883. I'm excited, I've never had an Alpine before but I've heard such good things about them I decided to get one for the balt.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by black_bullet_gt
I just got my system installed in my 07 G5 GT WITHOUT the gmos lan 04 ****. The only thing i lost is my door chimes. The only reason I lost those were because the file to "chime" the doors is imbedded in the cd player. The air bag harness has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the cd player. Infact, If you pull out your center console, you will see a silver box under the cd player(not attached). This is your Air bag computer. Just some info to finally answer some peoples questions.

Agreed !!! I got my sound system installed in my 2007 G5 ( no onstar or xm ) and all I lost was the door chime. I don't really miss it anyways !!! lol Don't waste your money on stupid kits just for that. The airbags have nothing to do with it anyways.
Old 08-21-2007, 07:31 AM

Be careful of CA (Cobalt-Additions) HU. It clearly states it's designed for an 07 'balt, but after order'n it, I contacted Kenny. Tha bracket fits perfectly (same setup as 04 Malibu), but tha wairing harness is completely different. I'm still research'n tha Metra. I'd rather grab a plug-n-play adapter than splice/re-wire tha back of my aftermarket HU. And as previously stated, swapp'n out HU will not affect ur airbags....completely seperate controller, but u may lose chimes that are imbedded into tha factory HU.

P.S......welcome to tha forum
Old 08-24-2007, 09:22 AM

so you guys who installed without the adapter. is there another wiring harness u used? or did u just cut off the harness plug and just connected the wires directly?