Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

J. Rayth's 3k system install

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2008, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontiac.G5
isn't that more than 3'
Run a longer ground wire... You can get them as long as you want.
Old 04-02-2008, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by BradSi
Run a longer ground wire... You can get them as long as you want.
The shorter the better actually.

If your mounting your amp up there im sure you could ground straight to the rear deck lid, find a spot, drill a hole and bamm, done.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:09 AM

I'm going to say that a Wire to the battery from the amp there is going to be just as good as one to the Frame, If not better. The line to the frame is because it works and makes it cheaper then running 20' of wire back to the front of the car...(for front mounted batteries.) Anyway. You can ask at the audio place for any lenght wire of any gauge and they should be able to give it to you.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:53 AM

Oh I didn't realize he was talking about the top amps ground. We have 2 ground spots, the main one is in the spare tire bay, I am fairly certain he grounded the amp on the rear speaker deck, I just didn't look.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:06 AM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
The shorter the better actually.

If your mounting your amp up there im sure you could ground straight to the rear deck lid, find a spot, drill a hole and bamm, done.
Which is why my ground is like 2 feet ha.
Old 04-03-2008, 07:08 AM

cool
Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
when dealing with grounds its a game to get the lowest resistance... The shorter your wire the less resistance in the wire but you must also count resistance from your ground to the battery (the frame has resistance as well hence why u shouldnt just ground wherever)

With 4g+ sized wire IMO you will have lower resistance running it to the battery post then thru the rear deck. Batt isnt that far away.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM

so best chance is get 4g+ n run to battery
Old 04-04-2008, 06:50 PM

I have dual + and Dual grounds on my amp, I am running dual 4 awg's to both from the battery, I get a better ground this way then any point on the chassis near the amp.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:39 AM

I'm loving the system, but I am also already in the early stages of moving from the DD subs to Arc Flatline subs and upgrading the amps to some of the higher end Arc amps. With the current setup we are expecting me to hit around 140db (I'll find out in June when I compete in the local car audio competition), but now I'm building a total SQ setup. I'll create a new thread when all that work starts as the end result will be 4x Arc Flatline 12" woofers with 2x 8" Arc 8" woofers for midbass all set in custom molded fiberglass.

Anyway!!! I updated the prices on the USAmps, we are now selling both of the amps. They are amazing amps guys, so if you or anybody you know is in the market for 2000w of clean power, please check out my for sale thread (link is in my sig).
Old 04-10-2008, 04:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
hmm interesting... what all are you going to do with that zero gravity box?
Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
hmm interesting... what all are you going to do with that zero gravity box?
Still deciding if I am going to sell the box and subs or keep them to compete in SPL and SQ in June... But we were so impressed with the box that I will never use any other material (except for quick temporary sound test boxes out of MDF). Brannan is already getting a list of box designs together to have some in stock.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:35 AM

Been waiting for updates and new pics. Everything going good?
Old 04-10-2008, 01:52 PM

4 12" woofers is serious overkill for an SQ system. Your just pissing your money away, but if you are okay with that, go for it. You won't even hear what the 8" are putting out frequency wise with 4 12's in the car. 1 10" or 12" that can handle some power is plenty for SQ applications.

If your installer had a clue about SQ he would steer you away from that much bass. It sounds to me like he has his hands pretty deep in your pockets.

Last edited by Bumpin Balt; 04-10-2008 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-10-2008, 01:55 PM

Id didn't even catch that there were 4 12 subs. If so, I agree, not good for sq.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:40 PM

I assure you it has nothing to do with my installer, and it also doesn't have to do with deep pockets. At this point, my car is a guinea pig for the manufacturers to play with and display. I am working on build idea's for a few sponsorships, trying to decide which way to go. Funny how far this all came in a matter of months. I'll be sure to update everyone on which route I take, and most likely start a new thread on the new sponsored build at that point.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:47 PM

Hmm, so this started out as something that you'd be financing and it potentially turning into a sponsored project?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Started out as me wanting a better system but nothing extreme, but as with all my other purchaces (except the car, but I didn't really have options as my credit sucks) I like to buy the highest quality equipment. So, I was only fooling myself thinking I would end up with a system under 1k. When I heard the high quality equipment, I knew I wouldn't settle for less. Now that I have a really nice system I was talking with my installer (the owner of the company) about local competitions and car shows, and it led to talk of sponsorships.

So, the reason the manufacturers were interested was because I had a good system and plans to make an even more amazing show car/demo car worthy system that was backed by Brannan, who they already know and trust. All I know is this is going to be one incredible summer.
Old 04-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by James Rayth
Started out as me wanting a better system but nothing extreme, but as with all my other purchaces (except the car, but I didn't really have options as my credit sucks) I like to buy the highest quality equipment. So, I was only fooling myself thinking I would end up with a system under 1k. When I heard the high quality equipment, I knew I wouldn't settle for less. Now that I have a really nice system I was talking with my installer (the owner of the company) about local competitions and car shows, and it led to talk of sponsorships.

So, the reason the manufacturers were interested was because I had a good system and plans to make an even more amazing show car/demo car worthy system that was backed by Brannan, who they already know and trust. All I know is this is going to be one incredible summer.
Well congrats on your free or heavily discounted radio. I hope you do well at the comp.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:19 AM

definitely congrats... i would love to do something like this... i love playing with audio and electric stuff... jus as all good hobbies... IT COSTS SOOOOO MUCH MONEY$$$$$

Which i DON'T have lol
Old 04-11-2008, 12:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On that note, what do you do for a living that gives you both the time and money to do all this.
I have all these things I want to do to my car but would have to buy another car just to have something to drive while all the work on the balt was being done.
Then of course I wouldn't be happy with the stereo in whatever that was, I'd throw a 10 inch in, you know just for a little added bass and then the whole thing would start all over again
As I'm, posting this I'm glancing off to the stack of Hush Mat sitting by the door that needs to go in...back to work
Old 04-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
On that note, what do you do for a living that gives you both the time and money to do all this.
I have all these things I want to do to my car but would have to buy another car just to have something to drive while all the work on the balt was being done.
Then of course I wouldn't be happy with the stereo in whatever that was, I'd throw a 10 inch in, you know just for a little added bass and then the whole thing would start all over again
As I'm, posting this I'm glancing off to the stack of Hush Mat sitting by the door that needs to go in...back to work
I am a Regional Supervisor for a great movie rental company. As far as having time to do it, I just manage my time well and I got really lucky because the installer was looking for a demo/sponsor car to display in his shop and the only reason I have the car is to make payments to rebuild my credit. I don't even need the car, I drive a Dodge Nitro usually, so I just leave it with him and help out where I can. And now the deal gets even sweeter with the sponsorships on the horizon, I'll just have one fun sounding car that I drive occasionally on random weekends.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:37 PM

Lucky!!!!!!
Old 04-11-2008, 06:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oh why don't you rub it in a little bit (lol)
If I had acess to a shop or a garage I think I would have alot more done, but I live in a condo, so there is only so much I can do in my underground parking, besides draging my tools up and down from the car to my place sucks.
This is a big factor in the reason why I'm looking to buy a house, but the market sucks here right now, 1000sq foot condo's are going for half a million, so I wont even tell you what a 2 bedroom townhouse with a two car garage is worth...

Well I have a date with some hush mat and my rear deck lid.
Your system is evolving quite nice, post more pics when you can
Old 07-21-2008, 02:04 AM

any updates?

Quick Reply: J. Rayth's 3k system install