Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

J. Rayth's 3k system install

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Area47
post the sheet of the amps

What sheet? The spec sheet? I can post the spec's of the amps from the website, but if you want the spec sheet from the box I wont be able to get that until tomorrow as they are at the garage.

Originally Posted by originaladrian
wow very nice!!!!!
Thank you

Last edited by James Rayth; 03-07-2008 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-07-2008, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Remember when doing your doors not to seal up the holes at the bottom.
No matter what you do water is going to get in there, if you seal the holes you will give it no place to escape
That is of course unless you plan on sealing up your windows, rendering them usless, which would kinda suck in the summer, or if you smoke, plus its hard to holla at the ladies
BTW-Very Nice
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
Remember when doing your doors not to seal up the holes at the bottom.
No matter what you do water is going to get in there, if you seal the holes you will give it no place to escape
That is of course unless you plan on sealing up your windows, rendering them usless, which would kinda suck in the summer, or if you smoke, plus its hard to holla at the ladies
BTW-Very Nice
Ahhh that didn't occur to me, thanks! I'm sure Brannan knew about that, but I'll bring it up just to be sure. That sure would suck to have water swishing around in my door.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:28 PM
pik

your guy needs to make you mdf rings, i don't think the stock plastic will handle the lower notes/weight of those sweet 6.75's
Old 03-07-2008, 10:43 PM
Banned

looks great so far. make sure to dampen the rear deck as well, im sure youve though of this, but havent seen it mentioned. that thing can rattle really bad and if you break one of the flimsy metal clips holding it in, rattle city

great work
Old 03-07-2008, 11:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I would give it a bit of extra time drying depending on how thick you apply the spectrum and the temperature it is outside or in the garage whatever..... Also throw a lil fan (or space heater fan thing like i use) and it will speed the drying process quite a bit (heat doesnt do quite as much as the air flow but it does help especially in the cold.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:07 PM

Good god there are some awesome products there!! Nice job
Old 03-08-2008, 01:29 AM

can i have your old stock radio? pm me please
Old 03-08-2008, 01:47 AM

i've orgasmed multiple times from all the pics..keep them coming and great job on choices!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:25 AM

I am interested in finding out exactly how many square foot you ended up using for deadening.
Old 03-08-2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
I am interested in finding out exactly how many square foot you ended up using for deadening.
So far 80, which has covered double coats of the wheel wells inside and out, the entire floor, and the rear seat. I have another 80 on the way for double coating the trunk and trunk lid, two coats for each door (one inside and one on the plastic molding itself), the rear deck, firewall, and possibly roof if there is any left. So total when all is done for complete coverage = 160 sq ft.

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
I would give it a bit of extra time drying depending on how thick you apply the spectrum and the temperature it is outside or in the garage whatever..... Also throw a lil fan (or space heater fan thing like i use) and it will speed the drying process quite a bit (heat doesnt do quite as much as the air flow but it does help especially in the cold.
Garage is heated, but I'll throw a fan on it too. Thanks for the idea.

Originally Posted by njg5gt
looks great so far. make sure to dampen the rear deck as well, im sure youve though of this, but havent seen it mentioned. that thing can rattle really bad and if you break one of the flimsy metal clips holding it in, rattle city

great work
Yup we are dampening both sides of that as well as putting a layer of overkill on the top side.

Originally Posted by pik
your guy needs to make you mdf rings, i don't think the stock plastic will handle the lower notes/weight of those sweet 6.75's
I'll bring that up with him and see what he thinks. There may be clearance issues with MDF, but I will definitely bring it up.

Last edited by James Rayth; 03-08-2008 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-08-2008, 03:25 AM

used mdf rings on my gfs speakers and it fit well
Old 03-08-2008, 03:35 AM

Was it the standard 3/4" stuff?
Old 03-08-2008, 04:01 AM

yup if i remember correctly... i first cut it a bit big and trimmed the bottom a little to make it curve along with the lines of the door panel. The cobalt door panel is actually one of the best ive delt with in terms of making custom panels
Old 03-08-2008, 04:22 AM

James, this is going to be one of the best systems out here. I can't wait to hear it.
Old 03-08-2008, 12:47 PM

How much money did it cost you for the sound deadening materials?
Old 03-08-2008, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by domin8_gt
James, this is going to be one of the best systems out here. I can't wait to hear it.
Yeah I'm actually confident it will be one of the best systems in the area. I'm actually considering entering the local SQ competition, but they are held by innovative and they seem to be slightly rigged because last year the winner for the SQ competition was a JL 15" that they installed. A 15" winning SQ? I don't understand it.
Originally Posted by pdub
How much money did it cost you for the sound deadening materials?
Well, had I known I would have needed 160 sqft I would have bought them in higher bulk amounts and saved money, since I didn't, and because I had the second shipment sent second day air so I could have it for this weekend, the total including shipping came to 793.90.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:53 PM

nice! Glad to see you are doing it right!
Old 03-09-2008, 12:38 AM

Spectrum coating

I just wrapped up another day of sound deadening the car, today was Spectrum day. I must say, I am VERY impressed with this product. I thought it was going to be runny and messy, but it is pretty thick and very easy to apply. It should be noted that the recommended application for spectrum would actually be the underside of the car, using a spray gun, but since I don't have a lift I applied it the second best way; on top of the damplifier.

I ordered 1 gallon of Spectrum, it came in four 1 quart bottles.

Here is a shot to illustrate how thick the spectrum is. It is as thick as pudding.

Before painting, secure seat belts...

...and clean the area to be painted. Since the area we are painting with the Spectrum is already covered with Damplifier, it was mostly cleaned already; but I took tack cloth to grab any areas that still needed to be cleaned up.

We started with the wheel wells and rear seats. Since we are painting this onto aluminum, the first coat goes on pretty thin. However, after about 10 minutes the first coat becomes tacky, and you can then apply another coat and it will adhere well. With the first "coat" (1.5 coats, we'll call it) completed, you can still see the aluminum through the Spectrum.

The second coat goes on very easily and completely blots out the aluminum. At this point there is about 1mm of Spectrum coating.

Second coat on wheel well (it is blue because it is still wet, it dries and becomes gray)

Second coat on rear seats (also still wet)

When we coated the floor, we decided to coat all the way up the firewall foam to give it a little boost of dampening. It went on the rubber just as easily as it went on the aluminum.

Here is the passenger side floor with the first coat completed

And here is the passenger side floor with the second coat completed

Drivers side floor with second coat completed

And for comparison, here is a shot of the rear seats with the second coat cured (dried for 45 minutes). It dries a very dark gray, almost black.

Since Second Skin recommends a 3mm coat for best results, we applied our last coat very thick. It takes a full 36 hours to dry, so we let our last coat be the thickest one. This coat brings the coverage to 3mm.

Passenger side with final coat:

Drivers side with final coat:

We have a fan in the trunk that will be blowing air through the car as it dries for the next 36+ hours. We are actually going to give it around 40 hours before we start with applying the Overkill foam.

We only used 1 5/6 pints of Spectrum, so we have a little more then 2 pints left for the doors and the trunk. We are also planning on spraying the trunk instead of painting it to get a thicker and more uniform coat. The doors will be a 1mm coat, used primarily to seal in the Damplifier, and we will be sure not to plug the holes on the bottom of the door.

So, tomorrow we are just relaxing, Monday we put the foam on the floors and rear seats so we can put the carpet back in. Tuesday we seal the wheel wells and put the Damplifier in the trunk and doors. Since we are double coating the trunk and doors it will probably take all day. Wednesday we'll spray the Spectrum in the trunk and paint it in the doors, as well as over the inner wheel wells (since they will be recently covered with fresh Damplifier). Friday we will apply the Overkill Pro foam to the inner wheel wells, doors, and trunk; and if all goes according to plan, we will have the body back together Saturday.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:46 AM

nice. ya a 15 can work for sq u just have to do it right um im not sure where your at but im sure there are more then one sq event at least in the area.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:54 AM

nice. ya a 15 can work for sq u just have to do it right um im not sure where your at but im sure there are more then one sq event at least in the area.
I'm in lovely Salt Lake Shitty, aka S.L,UT. There may be other car audio competitions, but the main ones are held by the local audio shops who are notorious for being bias to their installs... go figure.

And gee, thanks for commenting on my 8 hours of Spectrum painting. A-hole.
Old 03-09-2008, 04:16 AM

lol ya i wasnt sure what all to say. Looks nice but u should have lifted the foam and thru something under it (doesnt help to dampen the foam)
Old 03-09-2008, 04:49 AM

lol ya i wasnt sure what all to say. Looks nice but u should have lifted the foam and thru something under it (doesnt help to dampen the foam)
We will be putting damplifier there when my next shipment comes Tuesday... guess I should have mentioned that.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM

Shameless bumping... hoping for some feedback.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:20 PM
pik

looking good dude,keep it clean! make sure to do good wire runs before you put the carpet back on, easiear than trying to run them once it's all put back together

Quick Reply: J. Rayth's 3k system install