Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

J. Rayth's 3k system install

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2008, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bumpin Balt
I think you need more sound damping material! LOL
Hahaha...

...actually I need another 40 Sq Ft of Damplifier and 2 sheets of Overkill
Old 03-13-2008, 01:22 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
So now that your cobalt is insulated for an Orbital Re-entry, when is the shuttle going to launch? That looked like some NASA **** with all the shiny dampener. I have to say $3k is a ton of money for tunes man. But atleast you insulated the hell out of it. Hope you didn't miss a spot.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 PM

Does this seem a little unnecessary to anyone else?
Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 PM

Slight overkill maybe. The car won't accelerate as well any more with all of the added weight, but the sound system should sound amazing! Has EmperorJJ ever posted any pics of his system? I'm beginning to think he is a poser who likes to talk other members into spending unnecessary amounts of money. It is possible to have a great sounding system without buying all of the most expensive stuff out there.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:56 PM

^^ Callin EmperorJJ out

By the way hows progress going...
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM

I will eat my words when he actually posts pictures of his system.

Back on topic. This is a killer thread!

Last edited by Bumpin Balt; 03-13-2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM

I hate you. When i go out to my car im going to be upset. I bet you my rattle could take your car any day. I Wish i could do this but I don't know jack about it. Keep up the good work :
Old 03-13-2008, 02:06 PM

It would really **** him off if his car still had a "ghost rattle" that he can't find after all this hard work! LOL
Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM

It would really **** him off if his car still had a "ghost rattle" that he can't find after all this hard work! LOL
I would flip out if that happened to me. knowing my luck it would and it would probly be the license plate that would rattle
Old 03-13-2008, 02:20 PM

subscribed...
Old 03-13-2008, 02:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Slight overkill maybe. The car won't accelerate as well any more with all of the added weight, but the sound system should sound amazing! Has EmperorJJ ever posted any pics of his system? I'm beginning to think he is a poser who likes to talk other members into spending unnecessary amounts of money. It is possible to have a great sounding system without buying all of the most expensive stuff out there.
It's an auto anyhow! It wasn't going anywhere fast to begin with.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:27 PM
pik

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Does this seem a little unnecessary to anyone else?
i'd say absolutely not, but i don't care about goin fast, to each their own, IMO he's doing it absolutely correct for a daily driver, you should see what people do who bring trailered cars to autosound comps.

it is actually possible, but you have to know what you are doing, you can make a $100 pair of component sing just as well as a $1,000 pair of components. if you research custom speaker placement in your car, keep path lengths similiar, adjust phasing, and such, VS. slapping $$$ comps in stock locations, and don't pay attention to all the other little stuff mentioned above, you might be disappointed

Last edited by pik; 03-13-2008 at 07:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-13-2008, 08:06 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol ya i wish... ive spent much more into my system then james and i bet he will finish way before me. but maybe ill get off my ass and post some pics. even thou i dont have everything set up (btw im testing some parts express speakers at the moment to see if i like them or not
Old 03-13-2008, 10:20 PM

For those wondering if its worth it, check out this vid. This is a comparison between knocking on the front wheel well and knocking on the back wheel well. The front has had nothing done to it (since its primarily located in the engine bay) and the back has been double layered with Damplifier and a good coat of Spectrum.

For some reason my camera recorded the audio different then the video, so the audio is lagged from the video. But, just listen.

--And before anyone suggests it, I am knocking just as hard on the rear wheel well as the front, it just looks funny because my hand is bent the other direction.

As for it not being able to move, total weight added with the amps, box, and all the sound deadening materials is ~180, so its like driving with another person in the car. Considering my next mods will be performance based, I'm not worried.

Old 03-13-2008, 10:37 PM

I commend you Greatly for you my friend are doing an audio install like it should be done. You haven't half-assed anything.

If I only could have have the quality invested into your install... I would be so completely satisfied I would be outside listening to it now instead of my ipod.

(I'm running stockers)
Old 03-14-2008, 02:54 AM

Originally Posted by Switt23
I commend you Greatly for you my friend are doing an audio install like it should be done. You haven't half-assed anything.

If I only could have have the quality invested into your install... I would be so completely satisfied I would be outside listening to it now instead of my ipod.

(I'm running stockers)
Wow, thank you very much for the really encouraging compliment.

Overkill update

Sounds kind of funny just saying Overkill Update, but as has been suggested to me here and in other forums, this project should just be called Overkill. So I suppose it has a double meaning.

To start it off, here is the pics after the Spectrum dried for 40 hours in the trunk. It looks and feels amazing. I said it before, but spraying it is soooooooooo much more effective and sensible.

And here is another shot of the fully dried Spectrum:

The next notable accomplishment of the day was getting the Speaker Tweakers mounted

And now, moving on to the OK and OK Pro installation. First thing was to trace out the OK Pro needed for the doors

The drivers side cubby completed with Overkill Pro:

After that we finished up the trunk using Overkill Pro on the floor surfaces, and Overkill on the wheel wells with some Overkill pro on the more inset cubby's of the trunk.

Once the trunk was all Overkilled, we put the tire and battery back in the trunk to check fitments.

Then put the trunk fully back together, YAY! Still missing the box itself and the upper part of the rear seats, but its nice having everything hidden under there.

And one last shot

The baffles for the rear speakers are supposed to be here tomorrow, so maybe a few more updates then.

Last edited by James Rayth; 03-14-2008 at 02:54 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-14-2008, 03:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bet if you closed all the doors and someone outside was screaming at you, you wouldn't hear them
Old 03-14-2008, 04:53 AM

very nice and clean
Old 03-14-2008, 10:50 AM

why put the spare tire back... you wont be able to get it out if you need it anyway lol
Old 03-14-2008, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by HackAbuse
I bet if you closed all the doors and someone outside was screaming at you, you wouldn't hear them
I have already noticed if we are in the car doing things, people can come up to really close to the car and I haven't noticed them there unless I see them. Even had people talking to me and couldn't hear them; but this was with the doors opened when we were working on the trunk. So far the doors haven't been done yet, so right now we could still hear somebody scream, but I bet when we get the doos done we wont be able to hear anything.
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
very nice and clean
Thank you again Senior.
Originally Posted by Pontiac.G5
why put the spare tire back... you wont be able to get it out if you need it anyway lol
I actually thought a lot about that. Right now we are leaving it in just for ***** and giggles, but just getting the spare tire out normally is a PITA, let alone with the box and amps built on. We are still waiting on the box to arrive, and when it does we will be putting everything in there and seeing how everything fits. If we have to build custom amp racks in the back then I'll take the spare out to save some space and maybe fit the amps in the spare tire bay or something else to use that space. We already measured the Kinetic battery and it won't fit below there because it is too tall. Anyway, pretty much all remaining progress besides the doors is hung up on the box arriving.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:02 PM

would you be able to put the battery sideways? just a thought... and i think the amps there would be awesome... i wanted to put mine there but i couldn't because of an overheating issue... which i had 4 fans on it to try to fix that and it still overheats... even not under there....
Old 03-14-2008, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pontiac.G5
would you be able to put the battery sideways? just a thought... and i think the amps there would be awesome... i wanted to put mine there but i couldn't because of an overheating issue... which i had 4 fans on it to try to fix that and it still overheats... even not under there....
You read our minds. Brannan is actually calling Kinetic to find out of the batteries can be mounted sideways since they are a dry cell battery. As long as they give us the OK, we will be mounting the battery sideways in there along with the 4ch amp (Arc-FD4100) and the relay. We are trying to leave as much of the upper trunk available because I have already been thinking about getting a second FD-1200.1 amp to be able to push each sub at 1080w @ 2ohm, or possibly saving up to get a Arc-4000se and having ~2100w to each channel so I can jump the subs up to 9112's later on.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:24 PM

did u want me to post pics of how i got my batteries setup? they are all sorta creative and i bet you could put the kinetik where my carquest bat is
Old 03-14-2008, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
did u want me to post pics of how i got my batteries setup? they are all sorta creative and i bet you could put the kinetik where my carquest bat is
Yes please do. Right now we are looking at horizontally in the spare tire well or in thoes cubby areas behind the wheel wells right inside the trunk. But yes, I'd love to see what you worked out to see if we could do that too.
Old 03-14-2008, 05:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a question
How are you going to go about battling the deck lid rattles. I look through all the pics but couldn't see any clear pics on the top of the deck lid.
While I'm sure you applied tons of sound dead. materials to it, the problem that I ran into was all the plastic pieces that hold the trim on. The pieces that go over the bolts on the headrest, the ones that cover the child seat tie downs and the worst offender (IMO) the two parts that clip in right where the seat latches are, that are actually part of the inside quarter panels. They all rattle like b**ch.
I'm not trying to deminish your install in any way, its competition worthy and I only wish I had the time/knowledge to do the same myself, what I am trying to do is solve this problem myself and was looking to see what steps you took to do the same.

BTW-Your buddy doesn't want to come spend a week or two in Vancouver/the trunk of my car, does he? He's doing a good job, you muist have had to promise him your first born, good friends like that are hard to find

Quick Reply: J. Rayth's 3k system install