Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

J. Rayth's 3k system install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2008, 03:52 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
i think it looks a bit odd but i love the look of the kicker and wouldnt run a kicker midrange ever. infinity ftw seriously. But u dont have to match all your companies when runnning anything. Im actually going to have EVERYTHING a different company speaker wise. Fosgate tweets, CDT midrange, diy Midbass, RE subs
Old 03-25-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
i think it looks a bit odd but i love the look of the kicker and wouldnt run a kicker midrange ever. infinity ftw seriously. But u dont have to match all your companies when runnning anything. Im actually going to have EVERYTHING a different company speaker wise. Fosgate tweets, CDT midrange, diy Midbass, RE subs

Infinity ftw on midranges? Are you serious? Infinity midranges blow ass, there almost incapable of producing anything below 100hz. I've had kappas for my fronts for the last year and i just swapped them out for type R's and its 100x better.

Infinity does make the best tweeters though hands down, I left those in the mix
Old 03-25-2008, 11:23 AM

I'm going with 9" Morel mid's, but getting the grill made custom to match the factory grill so it looks 100% stock.

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
Why RE subs? I have heard quite a few of them and they really don't stack up imo. Edit: Not saying they're not good, they are great subs; but it seems you could do better.

Last edited by James Rayth; 03-25-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: Revising my statement
Old 03-25-2008, 12:04 PM

Hey james did you ever find out about those tweeter mounts?
Old 03-25-2008, 12:16 PM

Subscribed to the most EPIC sound thread of ss.net i am really liking all the picture updates! very entertaining
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by JRANGER
Hey james did you ever find out about those tweeter mounts?
Yeah we have some left from the Arc tweeters, just angle and surface mount pods. If you need another kind then tell me what size and mount type and I'll see if he has any.

Originally Posted by tombomb
Subscribed to the most EPIC sound thread of ss.net i am really liking all the picture updates! very entertaining
W00t!!!!! My thread is EPIC! that just made my day, thanks man!

Last edited by James Rayth; 03-25-2008 at 02:15 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-25-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by James Rayth
Yeah we have some left from the Arc tweeters, just angle and surface mount pods. If you need another kind then tell me what size and mount type and I'll see if he has any.
Cool I just need for the 1" tweeter that my infinities came with so How much??? Im tired of my rigged up look lol.....
Old 03-25-2008, 06:09 PM

I'm going with 9" Morel mid's, but getting the grill made custom to match the factory grill so it looks 100% stock.

Why RE subs? I have heard quite a few of them and they really don't stack up imo. Edit: Not saying they're not good, they are great subs; but it seems you could do better.
now this is something I am going to have to keep an eye on. I think factory matched grills will look sweet.

I think Emp is going RE cause they will be able to handle the power he wants to throw at them. (I think he's working on a SQ and SPL setup.)
Old 03-25-2008, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Infinity ftw on midranges? Are you serious? Infinity midranges blow ass, there almost incapable of producing anything below 100hz. I've had kappas for my fronts for the last year and i just swapped them out for type R's and its 100x better.

You don't need your mids to go below 100hz when you have 8" or 9" Mid bass speakers. My Infinity mids are playing 140hz and up. The 8" are playing 50-140hz or 80-140hz selectable from my head unit. I'm actually not crazy about the grills on either of my door speakers, but the colors match reasonably well with my interior. The Kicker's are pretty much invisible when the doors are closed..
Old 03-26-2008, 04:08 AM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus

i myself havent been satisfied with any mids playing anything at 100hz. hence the midbass. i always cross my mids at 100hz on the deck and a bit higher on the amp

which ones have you herd? ive herd many awesome re builds but then again i work at the #2 re/usamps dealer in the west and other then 8" we dont deal with the RE RE series only SR and above. And alot has to do with the box.

but the reason i choose RE for subs (the 05 XXX to be specific) is because it met my needs best. I want a clean clean daily SQL system. But you will be glad to know that the DD 9500 was my #2 choice

oh ya and since ss/sc brought up power handling the XXXs matched my power handling wants (T30001bd) and if i get a ported box i can do a straight up swap with the MT subs for competition

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 03-26-2008 at 04:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2008, 04:10 PM

The box is in!

--But I won't show you pictures until later today. HAHAHA

I will say that this thing is SUPER LIGHT! To give you perspective, it weighs as much as 2 gallons of milk... THATS IT! I was so amazed at how light the box was, felt like it was a box filled with peanuts.
Old 03-27-2008, 04:55 PM

subscribed.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:32 PM

Are you done yet? lol
Old 03-27-2008, 09:45 PM

we are waiting !!!!!!!
Old 03-27-2008, 10:06 PM

Pics of the Zero Gravity box

In its packaging:

Naked:

The texture protectant coat is amazing. It has a Rhino-lining style texture, but it is stronger. It has a slight gloss to it:

The back side:

We asked for custom terminals so we could use the thicker gauge wires, here's the terminal housing:

Subs loaded, laying everything out for spacing:

Wired with USAmps AX2000 amp (its final location will actually be on the floor behind the box):

Here is a closeup of the custom gold terminals we requested:

We are putting bigger terminals on the batteries and increasing the wire gauges to the 0 gauge for the amp tomorrow, and securing everything down. It is just about done!!! --Sort of... I'm already planning on swapping the 4ch amp for a Digital Designs S4 amp and grabbing the Morel 9" midrange add-on for the doors. We are also going to be ordering a 10" or 12" Morel sub in to compare it with the DD's as the Morel guys are saying this sub they want us to check out is designed for SQL (SQ+SPL, quality but loud). If I don't go with the Morel's, I may be stepping up to 3510's; but any sub upgrade is all dependent on whether these other guys want to buy the 2510's or not. If not, its just the 4ch amp being changed and adding in the 9" Morel midbass.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:03 PM

WOW! That port is freakin' HUUUUUGE! I'm not really a fan of the texture, but otherwise it looks good.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:20 PM
Banned

yeah that rhino lining stuff works great because it will hold a box together really well. you said the box was super light? did they use 3/4 inch mdf all around or just the front? it shouldn't be that light lol.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:47 PM

They didn't use mdf. He said what they used earlier but I'm too lazy too look for it.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin Balt
WOW! That port is freakin' HUUUUUGE! I'm not really a fan of the texture, but otherwise it looks good.
Well the coating is this liner that the military uses to transport warheads, its impenetrable and extremely durable.
Originally Posted by impulseballer
yeah that rhino lining stuff works great because it will hold a box together really well. you said the box was super light? did they use 3/4 inch mdf all around or just the front? it shouldn't be that light lol.
It isn't MDF at all. The reason these guys were recommended by Digital Designs for a while, and the reason their boxes are more expensive then you would usually expect to pay, is because it is a space-age NASA developed material which is basically high-density foam sandwiched between thin pieces of wood. The construction process is very time consuming and uses techniques and materials the average DIYer wouldn't be able to obtain. Despite the light weight, the box has absolutely no flex and is 1/4th the weight of normal MDF boxes.

Search the net for Zero Gravity sub enclosures and you'll come across a few articles. The company and box design has since changed from Zero Gravity, but that is the name most people know them by.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:52 PM
Banned

Well the coating is this liner that the military uses to transport warheads, its impenetrable and extremely durable.

It isn't MDF at all. The reason these guys were recommended by Digital Designs for a while, and the reason their boxes are more expensive then you would usually expect to pay, is because it is a space-age NASA developed material which is basically high-density foam sandwiched between thin pieces of wood. The construction process is very time consuming and uses techniques and materials the average DIYer wouldn't be able to obtain. Despite the light weight, the box has absolutely no flex and is 1/4th the weight of normal MDF boxes.

Search the net for Zero Gravity sub enclosures and you'll come across a few articles. The company and box design has since changed from Zero Gravity, but that is the name most people know them by.
man they really smacked you over the head for some serious coin lol...never heard of zero gravity box.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:01 AM

Psh, they didn't smack me over the head. They were once posted by Digital Designs themselves on their main page saying if you want a lightweight box that will outperform just about any other box, then these are the guys to go with. I also read about them in the SoundPressure forums, which is Digital Design's community forums. And furthermore, I found lots of articles on them on the web like Low Rider magazine. As a matter of fact, I never even spoke to the guys at Zero Gravity personally so there was no way for them to make a sales pitch to me, it was a recommendation from the local DD dealer that was vindicated by the posts and reviews all over.

The only negative things I have read about them was that they were really hard to obtain and the price usually set people off, but the DD dealer/installer I have been working with already had a good working relationship with the company so it really helped things out. I really lucked out, many people in the SoundPressure forums weren't able to ever obtain their Zero Grav boxes, which is why I touted them as "the coveted Zero Gravity boxes"
Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 AM
Banned

Psh, they didn't smack me over the head.
you went in wanting to spend about a 1k and walked out paying 3k. i'd say you got hit pretty good. considering that's about 1/5 about what you probably paid for you car.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:21 AM

subscribed for an epic sound system.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
you went in wanting to spend about a 1k and walked out paying 3k. i'd say you got hit pretty good. considering that's about 1/5 about what you probably paid for you car.
Well I started only wanting to spend 1k because I was just going to grab some things from Crutchfield, but I have always longed for a sweet top of the line system. As a matter of fact, all of my other electronics, computers, clothes... everything else I have bought with the exception of the car is always top of the line. The car wasn't because I have bad credit, so this car is to improve my credit and I'm upgrading it to where it fits my expectations.

I also was only planning on a $2,000 bonus from work and it ended up being $7,000 which is why I decided to increase my audio system budget. The guy I have worked with has never pushed any sales on me, he just showed me options and I always pick the higher end ones, as I always do when I am able.

And to be specific, I have paid around 4,500 at this point since I ended up wanting more sound deadening materials, and it will be going up again when I change my 4ch amp for the DD S4 and grab the Morel midrange speakers.
Old 03-28-2008, 03:51 AM

FYI ive paid way more then that for my sytem thats not even half way close to done

Quick Reply: J. Rayth's 3k system install