Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

kill switch

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 06:12 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Received 154 Likes on 131 Posts
kill switch

has anyone tried a fuel pump kill switch on any cobalt, i think i will try one on my ss, just gonna take off the fuse box under the hood, clip the wire that goes to the fuse, and wire up a killswitch somewhere, i think it shouldnt be to hard, and i tested iit out, ur car runs for about 15 seconds with the fuse pulled, so it should do the trick, no? and i guess if i wanna go over kill i could do the starter to. so anyone done it?
Old 10-18-2010, 06:14 PM
Vtec Rep
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a cobalt not a honda. you should be able to do without this haha.
Old 10-18-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

ya tell that to the kids going around here stealing everything in site

plus its just a fun project

Last edited by tomj77; 10-18-2010 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-18-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
lol this is some road warrior ****.
Old 10-18-2010, 07:25 PM

I wouldn't kill the fuel pump, fuel starvation is never good for a vehicle. The car will run for 15 seconds like you said, but it's under its own compression, and I doubt there's oil circulating. Could be wrong, either way, dont starve a vehicle.

It'll be a bit more work, but I'd hook up 80 amp relay to the battery somewhere not easily accessible (IE: not at the trunk) and have a remote switch control it. So if it's off, the whole car wont do ****. Then just power the relay off the battery using a small wire instead of running a big ass 0 gauge wire kill switch. If you have an aftermarket remote start system, you could just power the remote start system direct off the battery and when you unlocked the car it would turn on the relay to turn on the vehicle power. Or use a physical switch, be kinda badass actually.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

holy crap i dont even begin to know how id do that, and wouldnt that remove power for my stereo which id have to reprogram every time?? I think id just do the starter then, and i dont think fuel pump is much of a problem, its just like running out of gas, no gas and it dies, iv seen people do it, plus the only time it would be starved for fuel, is when someone would try taking the car, otherwise the pump would be turned on again before i start it. same concept as in drag cars i guess.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:45 PM

So you would rather burn out a motor from lack of oil and fuel pressure when somebody tries to steal it? You're a strange dude lmao...

There's a reason immobilisers system disable to starting circuit.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

i dont get how u think the motor is being starved of oil for one, oil is going through till it shuts off like when u turn off the ignition, and how is running out of gas gonna break ur motor? really? im mean i can see it if ur boosting and then ur lacking gas, but not if its idleing. i was also thinking of doing it to the starter, would be more complicated, and probably need a wiring diagram for the relay buy im sure i can figure it out with a mutimeter. but still dont understand ur running out of gas kills the motor theory, cause when u start it up again, u let the fuel pump prime first and it starts right away, no issues. i tried it.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:17 PM

It's not a honda :/
Old 10-19-2010, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by tomj77
i dont get how u think the motor is being starved of oil for one, oil is going through till it shuts off like when u turn off the ignition, and how is running out of gas gonna break ur motor? really? im mean i can see it if ur boosting and then ur lacking gas, but not if its idleing. i was also thinking of doing it to the starter, would be more complicated, and probably need a wiring diagram for the relay buy im sure i can figure it out with a mutimeter. but still dont understand ur running out of gas kills the motor theory, cause when u start it up again, u let the fuel pump prime first and it starts right away, no issues. i tried it.
Yeah, you're right, go right ahead, do the exact opposite of what every electrical engineer with far more education than you in not only electronics, but the English language as well has done.

You sir, are an idiot.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jsscriado
It's not a honda :/
yes it is shut up
Old 10-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by denlou
Yeah, you're right, go right ahead, do the exact opposite of what every electrical engineer with far more education than you in not only electronics, but the English language as well has done.

You sir, are an idiot.
u dont have to be a *****, and unless u show me ur electrical engineering license, dont use arguments u cant back up. Ill do myself a favor and google this matter u speek of, see if u know what ur talking about or not. and as for my english language, i really dont care, if u know what im saying dont give a crap. lol
Old 10-19-2010, 07:40 PM

So you would rather burn out a motor from lack of oil and fuel pressure when somebody tries to steal it? You're a strange dude lmao...

There's a reason immobilisers system disable to starting circuit.
..... ok.....
Old 10-19-2010, 07:41 PM

u dont have to be a *****, and unless u show me ur electrical engineering license, dont use arguments u cant back up. Ill do myself a favor and google this matter u speek of, see if u know what ur talking about or not. and as for my english language, i really dont care, if u know what im saying dont give a crap. lol
Why would I need to show you my electrical engineering license? We're talking about automotive mechanics, wouldn't you rather see some sort of certification for that?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

well since ur talking about how electrical engineers would tell me its bad, then i want that as proof, ur the one who said it not me.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:45 PM

You can install a HIDDEN starter disable switch into the electrical ignition switch wiring under the dash
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

so far the only negitive thing anyone has said about fuel pump kill is what if it short circuits while driving and ur pump stops. (wouldnt be a problem since i wire my **** right the first time) ud think if it would kill ur motor it would have happened to someone already and it would be all over the net, yet nothing. interesting. ill keep looking though, gotta prove u right.

Originally Posted by jsscriado
You can install a HIDDEN starter disable switch into the electrical ignition switch wiring under the dash
ya i know, i may go with that, ill play around with it a little, id actually rather do that than a fuel pump thing.

Last edited by tomj77; 10-19-2010 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2010, 07:49 PM

well since ur talking about how electrical engineers would tell me its bad, then i want that as proof, ur the one who said it not me.

Think for yourself, the sky will always be the limit.

Alright, now that I've had a good chuckle, let's address the issues.

Yes, there will be oil flowing around since the oil pump is crankshaft driven HOWEVER, do you really think that's enough flow for a sustained amount of time while it's spinning at like 400-500rpm with the starter to keep a layer of oil around all the parts? I wouldn't want to chance it. So while the dip **** that's trying to steal your car not only wears out your internals from all the friction, they're probably also going to over heat your starter and kill your battery.

Sure you can run the motor without fuel momentarily while it starts, but the motor was designed to run with fuel the majority of the time, so why change that?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Think for yourself, the sky will always be the limit.

Alright, now that I've had a good chuckle, let's address the issues.

Yes, there will be oil flowing around since the oil pump is crankshaft driven HOWEVER, do you really think that's enough flow for a sustained amount of time while it's spinning at like 400-500rpm with the starter to keep a layer of oil around all the parts? I wouldn't want to chance it. So while the dip **** that's trying to steal your car not only wears out your internals from all the friction, they're probably also going to over heat your starter and kill your battery.

Sure you can run the motor without fuel momentarily while it starts, but the motor was designed to run with fuel the majority of the time, so why change that?
ok so ur assuming the guy will be cranking it trying to get it to start it? is that what ur baseing all what ur saying on?? why the heck didnt u say so, now it makes more sense. but i think ill do a starter kill switch instead. but that probably a thick wire, which in that case ill think of something else. ill see.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:00 PM

ok so ur assuming the guy will be cranking it trying to get it to start it? is that what ur baseing all what ur saying on?? why the heck didnt u say so, now it makes more sense. but i think ill do a starter kill switch instead. but that probably a thick wire, which in that case ill think of something else. ill see.
Well how else would a thief getting frustrated because a car wont turn over start it? You must live in a really safe neighbourhood.

As for the starter wire, it'll be a small wire in the steering wheel compartment.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator
Platinum Member

Well how else would a thief getting frustrated because a car wont turn over start it? You must live in a really safe neighbourhood.

As for the starter wire, it'll be a small wire in the steering wheel compartment.
im talking about the one that goes to the starter itself.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im talking about the one that goes to the starter itself.
no power out of ignition switch no power to starter dum de dum you feel smart yet
Old 10-19-2010, 09:33 PM

If you are so worried about someone messing with your car or trying to steal it, why not get an alarm with starter kill? Or do like I did with mine, instead of going under the hood to the starter wire I interrupted the clutch instead.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:17 PM

in for the lols
Old 10-19-2010, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by 07blackss86
Or do like I did with mine, instead of going under the hood to the starter wire I interrupted the clutch instead.
Actually, that's a pretty slick idea.

Quick Reply: kill switch