Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Line out converter???

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
amp side, well the headunit sub out terminal read about .6... maybe im doing it wrong with the vac... because it didn't read anything close to that much on the mpc player when i read the rcas there
Old 09-21-2008, 01:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does it have a single sub woofer out or is it a pair of RCA's.
Do you have it in 5.1 surround mode. (i cant hear **** out of my subs when I put it in 5.1 mode and don't have a movie in the player)
If the HU is putting out what it should be, according to the #'s EmperorJJ1 put up and the amp worked fine when you hooked the MP3 player up to it then the problem has to be in the cables.
How careful are you being when you run the cables, RCA's are very prone to snap or crack if your to rough with them when putting them in

BTW-To give credit where it is due the MP3 player idea was EmperorJJ1's I was just repeating it
Old 09-21-2008, 01:44 AM

single subwoofer that i split amp side

not 5.1 mode, but in "xplod" mode for the eq. i read that cso (center speaker something, where is makes a fake center speaker) kills the subs, so ill try turning off the eq and see if that works

i was somewhat careful, no less or more with the 4 channel ones and they work fine

to test vac what do i do? ground, then touch prong or on the prong ground touching the cover and then test with the prong? or?
Old 09-21-2008, 02:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by creedin
amp side, well the headunit sub out terminal read about .6... maybe im doing it wrong with the vac... because it didn't read anything close to that much on the mpc player when i read the rcas there
the mp3 player doesnt have nearly the voltage out that the HU does so thats normal

Originally Posted by Spun
Does it have a single sub woofer out or is it a pair of RCA's.
Do you have it in 5.1 surround mode. (i cant hear **** out of my subs when I put it in 5.1 mode and don't have a movie in the player)
If the HU is putting out what it should be, according to the #'s EmperorJJ1 put up and the amp worked fine when you hooked the MP3 player up to it then the problem has to be in the cables.
How careful are you being when you run the cables, RCA's are very prone to snap or crack if your to rough with them when putting them in

BTW-To give credit where it is due the MP3 player idea was EmperorJJ1's I was just repeating it
nah mp3 player is all you but i did suggest testing the RCAs on both sides

single subwoofer that i split amp side

not 5.1 mode, but in "xplod" mode for the eq. i read that cso (center speaker something, where is makes a fake center speaker) kills the subs, so ill try turning off the eq and see if that works

i was somewhat careful, no less or more with the 4 channel ones and they work fine

to test vac what do i do? ground, then touch prong or on the prong ground touching the cover and then test with the prong? or?
the sony DSO and xplod is just crap but it wont make ur sub not play

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 09-21-2008 at 02:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-21-2008, 09:01 AM

Just for the sake of arguement, the single RCA cable that you have running to the amp. Its not coaxial is it? I know the subwoofer cable and the digital coaxial cable are both orange in color. Its a long shot i know but at this point....

The RCA's for the 4 channel work fine right? Use one of them as the sub cable and see if it still has the same problem. If so its the head unit or a setting somewhere, if not then its the cables
Old 09-21-2008, 12:48 PM

coaxial?

finally something on the internet is true! the sub out is WEAK!

i tested buy cutting off the speakers, and leaving the subs on, i put it up to 30 before i get anything from the subs... so i go +6 on the head unit for subs (highest) and i get some better bass, i bass boost on the amp at 9/18, then with the remote i base boost at 9/18, i get bass, but i heard bass boost causes clipping and will ultimately kaput my subs... so can i get a signal booster and will that help (like a line driver?)

Last edited by creedin; 09-21-2008 at 12:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 09-21-2008, 03:47 PM

mind you most amps gain controls are ment for HU's with 200mv to 5v so you would just need high gain to get full volume. adding the line driver just allows you to turn the gain down for better SQ
Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 PM

yea my gain is set to 11/11, so its all the way up... the bass boost is set to 9/18, the crossover is set at 100 (guessing its a lpf and the subs go 20-100), the remote bass boost is set at half, and i get decent bass from about 2/3 volume, and on the headunit the crossover for the sub amp is 120hz, then like i said before cut to 100 at the amp
Old 09-21-2008, 07:25 PM

huh... what subs do you have?

try running the hu full range and only the crossover at the amp
Old 09-21-2008, 07:39 PM

i cant... only crossovers are lpf (80/120) or hpf (80/120/off) and the lpf is the only one controlling the subs

kicker l7 12" dual 2 ohm

o do you mean for the speakers too?
Old 09-21-2008, 07:45 PM

nah. Unless something is wrong that should be loud.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:51 PM

yea nothing is wrong with it, i just though that setting those so high is bad... is there anything i shouldnt do? can i set the bass boost on amp all the way up or?

how do i test for amp clipping?

Last edited by creedin; 09-21-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-21-2008, 09:59 PM

only real way is with an o-scope. normally id recommend 0 bass boost but dont know what to say in ur case. possibly a line driver but it shouldnt be necessary. Only thing i can think of is if the sub is wired in parallel and out of phase with itself.... but it doesnt seem like that would be it
Old 09-22-2008, 06:55 AM

nah, i wired it up according to a diagram, tested it ohm an ohmmeter, came out at abolut 1.9/2.0 ohms and both move silmultaneously! whats an o scope, does it graph the flow of electricity going to it?

and with my case it says the bass boost on the amp would need cause to readjust the gain, but the remote bass controller can be adjusted all by it self, so should be be scared to boost the controller all the way up or not?
Old 09-22-2008, 10:57 PM

it graphs the sine wave yes.

I wouldn't recommend having full gain and full bass boost as well. Most cases its easiest and best on the subs to have no boost and only gain but there's also cases in which full gain wasnt enough. If you do use the boost and the controller i would recommend bumping the gain down and go from there. As long as the sub isnt moving to much and isnt smelling then u should be fine
Old 09-23-2008, 06:21 PM

shouldn't it be moving (like excursion) alot to produce low frequencies? could i get a line driver such as the epicenter to boost the signal? will that allow me to drop the bass boost
Old 09-23-2008, 07:29 PM

you never really want your sub moving "alot" if it moves to much that's one way of blowing it. Most subs do move quite a bit but if its moving alot it could be too much if that makes sense.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:35 PM

okay well on my multimeter following a way of adjusting my gain, i barely get bass, with my setup with 1500 watts, 2 ohms i should strive to get 54.77 volts

on my multimeter in ac i get .540-.550 with a 60 hz test tone, thats with gain at half and bass boost jacked, and the remote jacked... but don't i want the gain up higher so i don't under power my subs?

if i don't touch the bass boost or the remote and leave them be i get like no bass... even at high volumes, so would a line driver help my issue or not?

would it be better to go with a line driver such as the audiocontrol overdrive or something like the audiocontrol epicenter

Last edited by creedin; 09-23-2008 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:13 PM

Heres my 2 cents
Bite the bullet get a new head unit
If your running 1500 watts the only thing that you should be wondering about is where to get cheap dynamat, that system should be pounding.

Did you try using the the 4 channel RCA's as you sub outs.
If you did and problem was still there then the HU is "Kaput"
I don't believe a line driver can fix a busted HU,
Old 09-23-2008, 10:18 PM

okay what i don't understand is this...how can a couple volts kill so much? is it cutting out all the actually signal from the head unit and not sending any or?

no it works, but it just sends a weak signal... im not going to spend another 650 dollars on a new head unit, it truly is just a weak signal. so would a line driver just boost the signal or not?

Last edited by creedin; 09-23-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:08 AM

yes a line driver would boost the signal. The epicenter isn't a line driver... its a completely different animal you dont want to get near.

If your adjusting with a MM or by ear you should be fine. I personally don't use a MM because i have enough experience to tune a system correctly by ear i dont need to mess with it.

In the end im just giving you tips on how to tune it but without the system i cant give you a 100% definite answer. If you tuning using the MM then crank the gain and then the boost until u get the number your looking for. Just watch out for A sub movement, if the sub is moving to much it will fail mechanically, and B sound, if it sounds like crap there's a good chance ur clipping the **** out of it and it will fail thermally. Subs are really simple and the main things that blow them are idiots and intoxication. If your not planning on playing the system either high or drunk and you can tell when the sub sounds bad (or smells bad) then there's a good chance you can crank everything all the way up and go for years without blowing the subs. Yes theres a small chance there's a manufact defect that will change all that but honestly any one that knows what they are doing shouldn't be blowing subs up
Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 PM

yea well i was thinking epicenter to the over drive then to subs (to get all bass signals then boost them to amp?)

how do the minimal increae from the over drive help that much?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:57 PM

the epicenter isnt a line driver. not even close
Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
the epicenter isnt a line driver. not even close
no like this

from hu>epicenter (to retrieve all the bass)>then to the overdrive to the amplifier

my main question is will adding a line driver even help? i want to be able to use just the gain and not the bass boost (as that will kill the subs quicker) and still get great bass i mean i have two l7's with proper power (kinetik 2400 is power them) i want bass

will helping that signal get there be better, or is there just not enough low end signal getting transferred from the headunit (thats part of my main question)

Last edited by creedin; 09-24-2008 at 09:57 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:21 PM

what your refering to is a line driver. that's what will increase the signal to the amp.

basically all an epicenter does is turn midbass freqs to low bass freqs. We sell them to people that listen to mexican music but even when they buy them for that exact purpose they end up blowing subs up with it. What you want is a line driver not an epicenter

no like this

from hu>epicenter (to retrieve all the bass)>then to the overdrive to the amplifier

my main question is will adding a line driver even help? i want to be able to use just the gain and not the bass boost (as that will kill the subs quicker) and still get great bass i mean i have two l7's with proper power (kinetik 2400 is power them) i want bass

will helping that signal get there be better, or is there just not enough low end signal getting transferred from the headunit (thats part of my main question)
signal is signal as long as it doesnt have any crossovers inline. Signal wise a sub out isnt any different then either front or rear except for the fact that its a non fader, meaning fading to front or back doesnt effect it. If you dont use a the high pass you can try using the front RCA's and the only difference is the lack of "sub control" assuming ur deck has sub control

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 09-24-2008 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: Line out converter???