Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

locations for installing tweeters... how about this one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 03:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question locations for installing tweeters... how about this one?

Ok guys so my sony tweeters are coming in real soon and i will be connecting them when i get the chance.. my question is, is this location a good spot to flush mount them? i know the cobalts with the pioneer system in them have them mounted in the similar location... what u guys think? also, my 6.5s and 6x9s will be going in the same day.

I wana mount the tweeters in the corner of my doors... in that little panel... what do u guys think on sound quality??

Old 03-27-2008, 04:34 PM

If you want sound quality I recommend mounting the tweeters as close to the mids as possible and angling them towards the drivers head. I would also recommend returning the Sony Xplod's and getting something else.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin Balt
If you want sound quality I recommend mounting the tweeters as close to the mids as possible and angling them towards the drivers head. I would also recommend returning the Sony Xplod's and getting something else.
Sony Xplod is my PERSONAL preferance.. im not guna change my mind cuz u recommend me to get something else.. u like what u like, no one tells u what to pick right? Iv used Sony products ever since my cuzn got his car sponsored by Sony.. been a fan of their products ever since. The only thing is i dont wana cut a hole in my door panel.. but if thats what u recommend, i think il give it a try.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:53 PM

Here's where I put mine. Notice how the drivers side tweeter is angled more. Both are aimed at the drivers head.

Old 03-27-2008, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, any two of the above places are pretty good.

But I have had Sony XPLOD speakers that blow out after two years, & XPLOD subs that catch on fire...

But good luck with it & I hope none of the above happens to you!
Old 03-27-2008, 07:57 PM

So the stock positioning with the pioneer system is bad? I'm just asking...
Old 03-27-2008, 07:59 PM

It sounds pretty damn good for a stock location to me.... But I guess it's better if it's directly aimed into your ear.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by JPizzle

But I have had Sony XPLOD speakers that blow out after two years, & XPLOD subs that catch on fire...

I have sony xplod subs do they really catch flame cause if they do i for see a new cobalt ss/sc to replace my LS that burned up insurence
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM

For proper stereo imaging, the tweeters should be placed as close to the mid range speakers as possible.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:03 PM

A buddy of mine had 2 XLPOD subs, & they caught on fire. He also had a XPLOD amp too.... & a Sony radio amazingly.

Now I had XPLOD 5.25" in my previous car & they cracked (blew) about every 2 years.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM

Originally Posted by kenstacy125
I have sony xplod subs do they really catch flame cause if they do i for see a new cobalt ss/sc to replace my LS that burned up insurence
Each situation is different... Iv been bumpin sony xplods since i was young, before i could even drive! luckily i never got pulled over but yeah i have a pair of subs that my cuzn gave me and they were xplods.. i still have them, theyr installed in my bros car... after 4 years, theyr still knockin out some great bass... when my cuzns car got sponsored by Sony, they hooked him up with a GRIP of ****... subs, amps, tweets, mids, wiring... everything.. ever since then, iv been a fan of their car audio gear.. no disrespect, i admire other brands such as alpine, rocksford fosgate, pioneer, etc etc but MY PERSONAL preferance is sony
Old 03-27-2008, 08:05 PM
Bannned

i have mine mounted inside of that panel of door. works great. do it
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Doubt it, i dont push my subs that hard... not even the pair of MTXs or Kickers that iv owned have been pushed that hard... ur subs must have had some serious power running through em for them to blow out... thats usually the case.

I got family members who run audio shops here in PHX, best known as Audio Express, and they have sonys in their rides as well... eh, i guess everyone likes their own brands.

It sounds pretty damn good for a stock location to me.... But I guess it's better if it's directly aimed into your ear.
so what ur saying is that YOU CAN mount them in the location of the picture above? cuz thats my plan... im also considering mounting them as close to the mids but i dont know for sure yet...

Last edited by cobaltguy88; 03-27-2008 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltguy88
Each situation is different... Iv been bumpin sony xplods since i was young, before i could even drive! luckily i never got pulled over but yeah i have a pair of subs that my cuzn gave me and they were xplods.. i still have them, theyr installed in my bros car... after 4 years, theyr still knockin out some great bass... when my cuzns car got sponsored by Sony, they hooked him up with a GRIP of ****... subs, amps, tweets, mids, wiring... everything.. ever since then, iv been a fan of their car audio gear.. no disrespect, i admire other brands such as alpine, rocksford fosgate, pioneer, etc etc but MY PERSONAL preferance is sony
Dude I dont blame you i like them I have two very nice 1350 watt black subs and 1 very nice 1200 watt amp bridged to both they sound nice but i dont listen to to much bass groovin music but when i did for the fadthey where nice. in my old car it was all out fiteed 6'' one 6x9" and those two subs and to top it all off a XPLOD headunit i loved them al ever since them all xplod stuff.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Here's where I put mine. Notice how the drivers side tweeter is angled more. Both are aimed at the drivers head.

dam, thats a clean install bro.. does it sound good??
Old 03-27-2008, 08:11 PM

Here's an extremely detailed post I put in the Sound Quality System Pics thread

RE:Tweeter Location

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
Nice looking system bro... hows the imaging with the tweets down low? do you have any higher by chance. Also how much power do you have runnging to each sent of speakers? Damn i wish i could hear the highs/mids and compare them to mine

The imaging is really good down by the mids, The angle is adjustable on the mounts. I need to angle driver's side one towards the driver position a bit more and then they should be close to perfect! I did some research on stereo imaging before I did the install and I found some info that recommended mounting the tweeters as close to the mids as possible. However,make sure you use angle mounts to point them towards the most important listening position, the driver's seat! This is important because higher frequencies are more directional than low frequencies. Another reason for mounting them low is the distance of each tweeter from your ear becomes closer to equal. For example, if your tweeters are mounted in the a-pillars, the one on the left will be about a foot from the drivers head, while the the one on the right will be around 3+ feet away. If you mount them near the bottom of the door panels, the distance evens out slightly with the tweeter in the left door panel being about 2 feet away, and the tweeter on the right being around 3 feet away. If you mount them in the kickpanels, the distance evens out even more! But then you have no room for your feet! To answer the power question my 4-channel puts out about 68watts RMS per channel into the 2 ohm Infinity Kappa's. My sub gets about 580watts RMS. That's according to the Alpine lab test papers that came with my amps.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:15 PM

Originally Posted by kenstacy125
Dude I dont blame you i like them I have two very nice 1350 watt black subs and 1 very nice 1200 watt amp bridged to both they sound nice but i dont listen to to much bass groovin music but when i did for the fadthey where nice. in my old car it was all out fiteed 6'' one 6x9" and those two subs and to top it all off a XPLOD headunit i loved them al ever since them all xplod stuff.
thank u very much sony may not be the absolute best brand out there, but i like their products and iv never ever had a problem with any of their gear

Here's an extremely detailed post I put in the Sound Quality System Pics thread

RE:Tweeter Location
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1 View Post
Nice looking system bro... hows the imaging with the tweets down low? do you have any higher by chance. Also how much power do you have runnging to each sent of speakers? Damn i wish i could hear the highs/mids and compare them to mine
The imaging is really good down by the mids, The angle is adjustable on the mounts. I need to angle driver's side one towards the driver position a bit more and then they should be close to perfect! I did some research on stereo imaging before I did the install and I found some info that recommended mounting the tweeters as close to the mids as possible. However,make sure you use angle mounts to point them towards the most important listening position, the driver's seat! This is important because higher frequencies are more directional than low frequencies. Another reason for mounting them low is the distance of each tweeter from your ear becomes closer to equal. For example, if your tweeters are mounted in the a-pillars, the one on the left will be about a foot from the drivers head, while the the one on the right will be around 3+ feet away. If you mount them near the bottom of the door panels, the distance evens out slightly with the tweeter in the left door panel being about 2 feet away, and the tweeter on the right being around 3 feet away. If you mount them in the kickpanels, the distance evens out even more! But then you have no room for your feet! To answer the power question my 4-channel puts out about 68watts RMS per channel into the 2 ohm Infinity Kappa's. My sub gets about 580watts RMS. That's according to the Alpine lab test papers that came with my amps.
Bumpin Balt is online now Report Post Edit/Delete Message

nice find il keep this in mind...

Last edited by cobaltguy88; 03-27-2008 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-27-2008, 08:19 PM

Most Component speaker sets come with angled mounts of some sort. Are you sure you want to keep the Sony's? LOL.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:20 PM

i just found out they come with them.. i feel retarded... yeah im keeping them
Old 03-27-2008, 08:25 PM

Cool. Good luck with the install!
Old 03-27-2008, 08:26 PM

Cool. Good luck with the install!
thanks bro, i will post pics once everything gets put in... hopefully i dont break any of the clips on the door panel, that would suck ass.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:31 PM

They're pretty unbreakable. Do you know where the 3 screws are that you have to remove 1st?
Old 03-27-2008, 08:40 PM

They're pretty unbreakable. Do you know where the 3 screws are that you have to remove 1st?
yeah i was takin a look at em earlier... iv just read threads of ppl breakin em...
Old 03-27-2008, 08:49 PM

One by the latch handle under a plastic cover and 2 more under a cover in the hand grip on the armrest. Then just push something thin like a putty knife under the bottom of the panel and pull out. You will have to lift the panel up to unhook it by the window. The clip on the piece by the mirror is tough to get out. You can try prying it loose before doing the rest.
Old 03-27-2008, 08:58 PM

Sony cant make any car stereo products worth a damn. To the op, as well as anyone else who thinks XPLODES that EXPLODE are badass, you need to listen to some cars who have ANYTHING else in them. I mean, I personally am a huge Infinity fan (NICE kappa install earlier poster!) but seriously, I can't think of a name brand I wouldn't choose over Sony. Am I bashing on Sony? Yes. But do I have reason? Yes. They are cheap as **** for a reason.

No REAL audiophiles or competitors use Sony Xplodes that I have ever seen, except for the occasional guy SPONSORED by them. And how often do they win comps? Yea....

Infinity/Boston Acoustics/JL FTMFW!

Quick Reply: locations for installing tweeters... how about this one?