Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

locations for installing tweeters... how about this one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That little spot on the upper door is where the factory tweets are located on the pioneer system and it is a very accousticaly freindly place for them.......I dont wanna cause no **** here but NEVER put the tweets close to the mids.......do some research and you will find that is the worst place to put them......mids and tweets need to be seperated in order to get good sound quality due to the frequency of the sound waves.....its a bit complicated but trust me on this one.....do some searching and you will find that all the big stereo company's reccomend distancing the mids and tweets.......Later
Old 03-27-2008, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by highrider43
That little spot on the upper door is where the factory tweets are located on the pioneer system and it is a very accousticaly freindly place for them.......I dont wanna cause no **** here but NEVER put the tweets close to the mids.......do some research and you will find that is the worst place to put them......mids and tweets need to be seperated in order to get good sound quality due to the frequency of the sound waves.....its a bit complicated but trust me on this one.....do some searching and you will find that all the big stereo company's reccomend distancing the mids and tweets.......Later
i'm not saying your wrong, but i've never heard anyone say NOT to do it.
Old 03-27-2008, 10:49 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
I didnt read the whole thread because its long and im lazy but...

when positioning tweets you want them to be either 18" farther then the mid or very close. lots of peeps like them close i like tweets in the factory location
Old 03-27-2008, 11:09 PM

Umm, I think YOU need to do some more research.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:29 AM

i like having the tweets by where the factory ones are in the pioneer applicable cobalts... thats just me though...

also, sony is very budget friendly... unlike u "ballers" out there, i dont make much thus i cannot afford the big, expensive ****.. sony is great for the money IMO!! this thread can bash sony products but personally, i like em.

its funny how i just asked u guys for SUGGESTIONS on where to mount my tweets.. and i get a shitload of bashing for using sony products... lets stay on topic here...

anyways, the factory pioneer tweets are there for a reason.. they must sound good or perform well in their location... am i right? im thinkin of mounting mine there as well.... and just have them point towards me...

Originally Posted by UmeNNis
Sony cant make any car stereo products worth a damn. To the op, as well as anyone else who thinks XPLODES that EXPLODE are badass, you need to listen to some cars who have ANYTHING else in them. I mean, I personally am a huge Infinity fan (NICE kappa install earlier poster!) but seriously, I can't think of a name brand I wouldn't choose over Sony. Am I bashing on Sony? Yes. But do I have reason? Yes. They are cheap as **** for a reason.

No REAL audiophiles or competitors use Sony Xplodes that I have ever seen, except for the occasional guy SPONSORED by them. And how often do they win comps? Yea....

Infinity/Boston Acoustics/JL FTMFW!
I respect ur opinion... but lets stay on topic... i asked for suggestions, not "how do u feel about sony products?"..................

Last edited by cobaltguy88; 03-28-2008 at 12:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2008, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i put mine in the "Factory" spot, i think it looks and sounds good.
Old 03-28-2008, 12:41 AM

ya im going with the factory sport for my JBL power series comps too, gonna replace the pioneer system with JBL Power Series for comps and 6x9 and 2 jl 13w3v3 for subs.
Old 03-28-2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by joeworkstoohard

i put mine in the "Factory" spot, i think it looks and sounds good.
this is what i have been looking for! thanks for posting this pic up man..

how does it sound? is there too much high since its mounted close to u?
Old 03-28-2008, 01:35 AM

*have also heard that tweeters are best by mids*

gl btw
Old 03-28-2008, 01:59 AM

^^ yes i have heard that as welll.. kinda debating as of now.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:01 AM

Ive talked with crutchfield about this before, its recommended tweeters are no more than 12" away from the woofers but above them pointing towards the listener. Anymore and you are risking phase interference. If your speakers are low mounted in your doors, you want to move them up a few inches for better sound imaging.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:37 AM

so do u think my original position willl be fine?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by smartmlp
Ive talked with crutchfield about this before, its recommended tweeters are no more than 12" away from the woofers but above them pointing towards the listener. Anymore and you are risking phase interference. If your speakers are low mounted in your doors, you want to move them up a few inches for better sound imaging.
and i have talked to the rainbow, cdt, and audison/hertz reps at ces who do you trust more?
Old 03-28-2008, 03:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
and i have talked to the rainbow, cdt, and audison/hertz reps at ces who do you trust more?
Crutchfield. They have been around for over 30 years, probably longer than you have been alive. And their reasoning makes sense. Whats the explanation for your claim?
Old 03-28-2008, 08:59 AM
pik

let's keep this simple hook up the tweets to extra length of wire and some 2 sided tape on the back of the tweet. now get this:

Experiment!!!

everyone has there own opinion on best, take the tweets and start listening to them stuck all over till find the place that sounds best to you. some tweets will sound better on axis, off axis, deep in the kicks, high on the a pillars, deep in the dash.

keep in mind you might also have to play with dB reductions, switching the phase of one tweet, or maybe even both.

people spend weeks finding the right spot and setting combination- you should too. how many of these people here do you think spent that much time doing this?
Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

Here is some good info that is based on FACTS, not personal opinions.

http://www.crutchfieldadvisor.com/S-...oundstage.html
Old 03-28-2008, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by pik
let's keep this simple hook up the tweets to extra length of wire and some 2 sided tape on the back of the tweet. now get this:

Experiment!!!

everyone has there own opinion on best, take the tweets and start listening to them stuck all over till find the place that sounds best to you. some tweets will sound better on axis, off axis, deep in the kicks, high on the a pillars, deep in the dash.

keep in mind you might also have to play with dB reductions, switching the phase of one tweet, or maybe even both.

people spend weeks finding the right spot and setting combination- you should too. how many of these people here do you think spent that much time doing this?
you make a great point... nicely said my friend
Old 03-28-2008, 05:14 PM

After changing from swivel coaxials to sail panel tweets on my previous car, I became a true believer in that mounting point. But there are +s and -s to every mounting position.

Sail panel Mount:
- direct and clear, the distance issue leads to your left ear getting blasted, or odd freq responce depending on how it is aimed. However, a passenger will not block it.

Kick panel/low door mount:
- Evens out the ear distance better, and closes the gap between the midrange and tweeter(closer to home audio style), however a passenger will block everything from that side.

One very interesting spot I have heard (in a TL) is the tweeter mounted far up in the dash towards the windshield and aimed straight up so it bounces off the windshield.
Old 03-28-2008, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by pik

Experiment!!!

thank you

Originally Posted by Preowner
One very interesting spot I have heard (in a TL) is the tweeter mounted far up in the dash towards the windshield and aimed straight up so it bounces off the windshield.
thats normally done by factory systems so their cheap tweeter will sound louder

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 03-28-2008 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 03-28-2008, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
thank you

thats normally done by factory systems so their cheap tweeter will sound louder

emperor, what is ur personal mounting location? i wana know what ur thinkin
Old 03-28-2008, 05:44 PM
pik

Actually there is a guy on Team Zapco who is an SQ world champion using this stock location in a TL
(deep in the dash) I would have never believed it myself. . .of course he prob has about 30 bands of independent EQ on them
Old 03-28-2008, 06:29 PM

To add my experience to the tweeter location debacle. You need to do some testing, because Tweeter / woofer distance also depends on the crossover used. The higher the crossover point, the closer they should be, because it would be easier to pinpoint different sources, while lower crossover points work the opposite. There is no set rule for all systems. What works for one brand, might not work for another, so grab some two sided tape, and start testing.

Also, if you don't have any hardware that can delay sound in individual speakers (Head unit, Sound Processor, etc), the best thing (in a car) is to have them close to the woofer, on a low location, since it creates a more natural delay to the sound.

But, if you do have a device that can delay individual channels, you should try to set the tweeters at the same height as your ears. This will give you good staging..
Old 03-28-2008, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by Glide
To add my experience to the tweeter location debacle. You need to do some testing, because Tweeter / woofer distance also depends on the crossover used. The higher the crossover point, the closer they should be, because it would be easier to pinpoint different sources, while lower crossover points work the opposite. There is no set rule for all systems. What works for one brand, might not work for another, so grab some two sided tape, and start testing.

Also, if you don't have any hardware that can delay sound in individual speakers (Head unit, Sound Processor, etc), the best thing (in a car) is to have them close to the woofer, on a low location, since it creates a more natural delay to the sound.

But, if you do have a device that can delay individual channels, you should try to set the tweeters at the same height as your ears. This will give you good staging..
this is what i was thinking as well... i would like them to be close to my ears, but i dont want my ears bleeding due to the sharp sound.. u kno?
Old 03-28-2008, 07:07 PM

Every tweeter and crossover will be different. Mount your 6.5 or whatever and get some long speaker wire coming from the crossover to the tweeter. Stick some velcro on the back of the tweeter, then put on a few songs. Close your eyes and move the tweeter around, starting from the 6.5 until you find a place where you like how it sounds. Stick the tweeter to the door using the velcro and listen to more songs. If you don't like it, move it. Once you find a place you like, look at the door and find a flat place to mount it on the door that is nearest to where you like it.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:47 PM

most of the crap on Crutchfield is used to sell whatever they feel like selling. The only thing crutchfield is good for is specs on the equipment. Even there diagrams and wireharness are not always right.

Quick Reply: locations for installing tweeters... how about this one?