Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Looking for a new sub

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for a new sub

Im going to be buying a new sub because I want a single sub instead of my two w3's. What do you guys think I should get I know theres the w7's but I want to know some alternatives, I dont like rockford t1's. So any help would be appreciated.

And It has to be something that can run off a 500/1 jl amp. I plan on getting a good amp but it would be running off of this for probly about a month or so. Its 1000 watts max and it never has a problem being up all the way so I dont think it should be a problem.

Update:
Just bought a 12w7 with the JL HO Box for 475.

Last edited by Joewit; 02-14-2008 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-26-2008, 10:04 PM

i would say a fockford fosgate p3 or the mtx 6500 unless your lookin for a really bad ass sub and since you mentioned the w7 and t1 then there is the alpine type r.. thats a pretty good one.. imo the best is the t1 and w7 though..
Old 01-26-2008, 10:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go with a audiobahn AW1208T!!! or AWIS12P!!! but your amp won't come close for these two the AW1208T has a 3000 watt peak and 1500 RMS and the AWIS12P has a 4000 peak and 2000 RMS im running one AW1208T and it hits harder then most people that have two subs!!
Old 01-27-2008, 05:26 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
NO ADUIOBAHN SUX

check out the RE SE in a good ported box
Old 01-27-2008, 06:08 AM

Orion HCCA-10.2

4” copper Wound Voice Coil on an Aluminum Former, High temperature PAARC (Polyester Amide, Amide Resin Coated)
Continuous power handling will be 1500W (under rated)
Peak power handling: 10” 3000W
Burp power in excess of 4000W
Old 01-27-2008, 06:21 AM

dont get the hcca...
Old 01-27-2008, 09:35 AM

SO i got someone saying the audiobahn and someone saying no audiobahn and someone saying the orion and someone saying no orion, now i kno audiobahn sucks but whats wrong with the orion.

Anymore opinions on the type-r?

Last edited by Joewit; 01-27-2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-27-2008, 09:44 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Kicker L7 solobarics as is VERY good sub. If you were going single get a 10" you WILL not be disappointed. Mines paired with a kicker zx750.1 amp and it pounds hard.
Old 01-27-2008, 10:44 AM

the alpine type r sounds like a wet fart. when it hits its not very clean sounding. its more of a thunk then a boom. trust me i know. i got one 12 in a ported box with a alpine mrp-m650 amp
Old 01-27-2008, 11:01 AM

kicker 12 inch. Forget the name. Its grey and red. I have one and it pounds
Old 01-27-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Immortal Technique
kicker 12 inch. Forget the name. Its grey and red. I have one and it pounds
i think your talkin bout the kicker comp cv-r if im not mistakin.. i forgot all about those and they are some good subs with some great sound..
Old 01-27-2008, 10:33 PM

SO i got someone saying the audiobahn and someone saying no audiobahn and someone saying the orion and someone saying no orion, now i kno audiobahn sucks but whats wrong with the orion.
I think he just likes to disagree with everything I say on principle. (kidding)

When it comes to subs its really 1 part personal preference, 1 part how powerful of an amp you have running it, 1 part being biast towards anything that hasn't worked for you in the past, and one part playing favorites to anything that has. In the end your the one who has to listen to it so make sure its what you want.
That being said, JL audio is one of the best out there, the W7 series are crazy subs, even the W3 ones your running right now put out great sound with little air space and med power needed. The Reason I said the Orion is mainly personal preference, but if you look the HCCA line has been around for years and the was a time when the HCCA amps and subs set the standard for what everyone was trying to copy. I know company's like Rockford and Pheonix Gold used to be top of the line also but lets face it they fell off, mass produced and cheap, Orion didn't, they make cheaper series of eqip. but they always did. The Sub is rock solid, has a huge power handling ability, has a 4 inch voice coil, compared to the 2.5 inch on the W7 (this means it has an extra 1.5 inch of travel /flex over the W7). However its costly, but so are the JL's so I'm guessing its not that big of a problem for you. The other thing is its going tio need a pro. box can't get away with a pre-made box with high end subs, that goes for both/ all high end subs.
I would go with the JL myself, only out of airspace and $$$ reasons but if money aint a problem and you don't like either try Hertz, Focal, AVI, Soundstream, Boston Acoustic,
Yourt going to get a good quality product with any of these company's just keep in mind if it seems to be a cheap price or your getting a smokin deal, there's reaon for it, skip it and move on
Old 01-27-2008, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Spun

When it comes to subs its really 1 part personal preference, 1 part how powerful of an amp you have running it, 1 part being biast towards anything that hasn't worked for you in the past, and one part playing favorites to anything that has. In the end your the one who has to listen to it so make sure its what you want.
That being said, JL audio is one of the best out there, the W7 series are crazy subs, even the W3 ones your running right now put out great sound with little air space and med power needed. The Reason I said the Orion is mainly personal preference, but if you look the HCCA line has been around for years and the was a time when the HCCA amps and subs set the standard for what everyone was trying to copy. I know company's like Rockford and Pheonix Gold used to be top of the line also but lets face it they fell off, mass produced and cheap, Orion didn't, they make cheaper series of eqip. but they always did. The Sub is rock solid, has a huge power handling ability, has a 4 inch voice coil, compared to the 2.5 inch on the W7 (this means it has an extra 1.5 inch of travel /flex over the W7). However its costly, but so are the JL's so I'm guessing its not that big of a problem for you. The other thing is its going tio need a pro. box can't get away with a pre-made box with high end subs, that goes for both/ all high end subs.
I would go with the JL myself, only out of airspace and $$$ reasons but if money aint a problem and you don't like either try Hertz, Focal, AVI, Soundstream, Boston Acoustic,
Yourt going to get a good quality product with any of these company's just keep in mind if it seems to be a cheap price or your getting a smokin deal, there's reaon for it, skip it and move on

I think Im gonna take a look into the orion maybe only a 10inch with how much power they put out, The jl's are definetly good but I think you're partially paying for the name with them.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Joewit

Anymore opinions on the type-r?
i havent read the whole thread and im not sure what spuns responce was but the reason why i dont suggest the HCCA is not because its a bad sub (audiobahns are bad subs) is because its not really going to work well with your application if that makes sense. The HCCA is a giant sub that wants alot of power and is built much like a competition sub. So Unless you bump up the power, care alot less about sq and want a bunch of noise the HCCA isnt for you.

No offence because most of what you said is true and all that but Orion is a DEI company. Meaining they were bought out by DEI and even though i still agree the HCCA is a good woofer you cant say the orion name has been strong all these years. Really its been through hell and back. Also i have a feeling your confused about voice coil size and its effect on a subwoofer. I believe you have it confused with x-max because the coil size increasing doesnt increase the woofer travel. The only advatage of a bigger coil is the ability of the coil to have more copper allowing the sub to handle more power. But you should really never look at a voice coil size when comparing subwoofers... maybe if you have 2 really close subs but honestly you shouldnt even then.

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 01-28-2008 at 05:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-28-2008, 09:31 AM

Alright maybe your right, maybe I'm confused, I'm not an installer, nor was I ever an installer, I haven't so much as worked for a car audio place, not one day of schooling. My friend used to own a shop around here but he died a few years back, hell you know what I do, I own a donut shop, but I think this gives me the ability to view things from a different angle, when its a hobby you can enjoy it when its a job, then you have no choice but to be around it, the 9-5 of it starts to leave a bad taste in your mouth (I'm speaking of how it might effect me, I can't speak for others) That being said, I have herd the Orions and the more than bump. I put all the info down because everyone was giving him, don't get this one or get the red ones, ect. I figured some specs might help, I got this from the Orion website
With it massive 4" high temp voice coil and immense motor this subwoofer can reach as much as 4" of travel
So maybe I was confused on how I got there but the end result is all the same. Like I said go with what sounds best to you, I suggest you listen to a few subs and get a idea of what sound you are looking for.
If the 500/1 is the temp amp that is going to be replaced with a "good" amp then power wont be an issue, the 500/1 is a great so I hate to see what you replace it with, I think I'm getting a bit jealous over here (lol)
BTW- Its 6:30am so you'll have to excuse the spelling
Old 01-29-2008, 07:09 PM

Anyone know anything about one of these http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/sp...inch/sr124dvc/ I heard polk is suppose to be real good quality sound, Im willing to give up some bump for quality.

Alright maybe your right, maybe I'm confused, I'm not an installer, nor was I ever an installer, I haven't so much as worked for a car audio place, not one day of schooling. My friend used to own a shop around here but he died a few years back, hell you know what I do, I own a donut shop, but I think this gives me the ability to view things from a different angle, when its a hobby you can enjoy it when its a job, then you have no choice but to be around it, the 9-5 of it starts to leave a bad taste in your mouth (I'm speaking of how it might effect me, I can't speak for others) That being said, I have herd the Orions and the more than bump. I put all the info down because everyone was giving him, don't get this one or get the red ones, ect. I figured some specs might help, I got this from the Orion website

So maybe I was confused on how I got there but the end result is all the same. Like I said go with what sounds best to you, I suggest you listen to a few subs and get a idea of what sound you are looking for.
If the 500/1 is the temp amp that is going to be replaced with a "good" amp then power wont be an issue, the 500/1 is a great so I hate to see what you replace it with, I think I'm getting a bit jealous over here (lol)
BTW- Its 6:30am so you'll have to excuse the spelling
lol yea its probly gonna be a temp amp ill either buy something better or run it on max till it dies lol. I'll probly go with a rockford amp cause the next jl is the 1000/1 and they are so rediculously expensive compared to rockford.

Last edited by Joewit; 01-29-2008 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 01-30-2008, 02:54 AM

I havn't had the chance to hear what they sound like, but whoever told you Polk was a good company was right. They just got the better of me withh that whole Polk /Momo thing, the money they shell out for a damn marketing/advertising scheme should have been dumped into R&D or something.(IMO) Forget my rant, I hate corprate crap, the sub seems to be one of the higher end series that they offer and should sound good, worth the fuel to go check them out.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by mkulrey13
Kicker L7 solobarics as is VERY good sub. If you were going single get a 10" you WILL not be disappointed. Mines paired with a kicker zx750.1 amp and it pounds hard.
TY!!!! someone finally says KICKER! n not the JL w/e. Kicker dude. If u can find them get orion cobalts. THEY ROCK! stay away from audiobahn. pieces of **** wrapped in chrome.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:58 AM

the cobalt series are pretty decent cheap amps....
Old 01-30-2008, 03:03 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
the cobalt series are pretty decent cheap amps....
i was talking about the subwoofers.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:56 AM

i know but i havent had any experiance with them...
Old 01-30-2008, 03:59 AM

they rn't bad. they r cheap and is one of the few times where the phrase "u get what u pay for" doesn't apply. the loudest car i've been in, non competition, had 2 10's orion cobalts.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:53 AM

well narrowed it down to 3 choices I couldnt really get away from jl.
JL 13w6
JL 10w7 (both the w6 and the w7 have the same power ratings)
Polk SR104-DVC (I want to consider this one but can't find anywhere that has one that I can listen to)

Im pretty much going for sund quality over loudness.

Last edited by Joewit; 02-01-2008 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-01-2008, 02:56 AM

id say a 10 w6
Old 02-02-2008, 04:53 AM

Take a look at T3 audio

http://www.t3audio.com/core.mdv

I have been street slamming my T3 TSS series subs for a long while tuned at 30hz its really crazy.