Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Looking for a new sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 04:56 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
hey tim ever done any usaci sq events?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Many years back but i havnt done anything really the last 2 years. I was plaining on going to spring break nationals but things has came up dont think i will be going.
Hey i have a question for you, Does your car flex horribly. My sunroof and back glass flexes about an half inch or more. Thats my main reason for not going on and competing with this car because of the flexing. Of course im going to play around with it some more but the biggest thing is getting my term lab meter back a working. I think its the laptop. Im going to sale the term lab and get me a simpler meter. Know anyone that wants one?
Old 02-02-2008, 10:06 AM

oh cool. Just wondering because im debating going to mississippi for a sq event in june. In terms of flexing, not really the back glass so much but the roof and trunk lid go crazy... try selling the TL on the forums. We already have one for the shop.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by tim0shel
Take a look at T3 audio

http://www.t3audio.com/core.mdv

I have been street slamming my T3 TSS series subs for a long while tuned at 30hz its really crazy.
Do you know somewhere that sells them I cant find anywhre online and all the stores around me only have the big brands.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:21 PM

As all you may know and seeing my screen name, I would suggest the MTX line.. This year the re did all the entry and mid range woofers. The new series looks good as I am going to be upgrading mines shortly as it becomes available. Pending on what you are looking for, I have been reading people suggesting Orion, RF, JL, Polk, and Kicker. Well they have hit all markets this year as making , yes sqaure subs wich is 40% louder than it's closer competitor kicker. Soundstrea, and pile also makes squares. But also they have made a thin sub which is 3.3 in depth and like I said earlier the whole like has changed.. If your looking for a single sub, I would recoment a 75 series for the amp that you have. Anything more than that your trunk is going to vibrate like crazy and there is only so much you cold damp it. Chk out the new line on there website. They are adding pics of there new line on there site.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:39 AM

I think that bullshit that the MTX is 40% louder then the kicker. Im not sure if your from mtx or not but if you are then make sure all your people at CES get the numbers straight... i herd 80% and 60% and neither mentioned louder bc we all know thats lies
Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know anything about cerwin vega or re audio
Old 02-03-2008, 12:04 PM

i work at the second largest (sales) re dealer on the west
Old 02-03-2008, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
I think that bullshit that the MTX is 40% louder then the kicker. Im not sure if your from mtx or not but if you are then make sure all your people at CES get the numbers straight... i herd 80% and 60% and neither mentioned louder bc we all know thats lies
No worries.. Everyone has there own opinion on brands. Not knocking other brands by all mean, but check it out. When it's realesed, go buy one, and compare it w/out any mods. Try it out with the original box it come in and you'll see for your self. Main diffrence is going to be on the volume liter displacement. All im asking is, try it out..

Last edited by MTXSS; 02-03-2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: mispelled
Old 02-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Thanks for everyone's help, Im looking at the mtx 9500's right now, whats the difference between dual and single voice coil? Because I can get a single voice coil 12" for cheap so If its not a real difference I might buy it.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by tim0shel
Take a look at T3 audio

http://www.t3audio.com/core.mdv

I have been street slamming my T3 TSS series subs for a long while tuned at 30hz its really crazy.

this is a nice ass set up !!
Old 02-03-2008, 04:09 PM

9500 is a good choice.. try to get it with the sledge hammer box. If you get a custom box, make sure they reinforce the box and give extra support on the magnet. Also use 1 inch mdf..
Old 02-03-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for everyone's help, Im looking at the mtx 9500's right now, whats the difference between dual and single voice coil? Because I can get a single voice coil 12" for cheap so If its not a real difference I might buy it.
Without getting to far far into the tech. details the main difference is that the dual allow you to run your amp ay 2 ohms, most amps put out alot more power at 2 ohms

However since you are running a 500/1 it wont apply to you. JL built those amps to put out the same power at 1-8 ohms so I don't think it would make a difference in your case. The advantage is a much more stable amp, and running a sub at 4 ohms is better sound quality. I myself am running 2 mtx 710 series (10") and don't get me wrong there great subs, have a nice clean sound but if I could find a JL dealer in the Lower Mainland/Vancouver (I'm not fond of buying subs that come in the mail, who knows how the get treated) The MTX's would be collecting dust in my closet and some W6's would take there place.
If you can get a deal on the 12 SVC and like the way it sounds then go for it, you have plenty of power, but like stated many times earlier in this thread, pay close attention to the box, make sure its the proper size, the wood is the right thickness, it could be the difference between a blown sub or not, plus sound quality
Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by MTXSS
No worries.. Everyone has there own opinion on brands. Not knocking other brands by all mean, but check it out. When it's realesed, go buy one, and compare it w/out any mods. Try it out with the original box it come in and you'll see for your self. Main diffrence is going to be on the volume liter displacement. All im asking is, try it out..
lol ya ill find out eventually... i work at a MTX authorized dealer so ill probably play with one soon
Old 02-04-2008, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol ya ill find out eventually... i work at a MTX authorized dealer so ill probably play with one soon

Sounds good, when you do get one, compare the two next to eachother, chk out the magnut and motor structure.. Let me know what you think.. What shop you work for?
Old 02-04-2008, 04:45 PM

K&B Audio.... Honestly id really have to hear them and see whats up from there. They may look beefy but if they arent then its useless. I myself dont like the solobarics either so its not like im biased
Old 02-04-2008, 04:52 PM

the kicker w7 or w/e already in a box squared. KNOCKS
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM

http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4914
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2031
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2206
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4298
http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2059 X2

Some more I was looking at what one do you guys think is best.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:44 AM

sx 12 will be the loudest... JL and ID will sound the cleanest in that order... the cerwin looks the best
Old 02-06-2008, 04:24 AM

I have no first hand experience with the cerwin, but 2000 watts has got to pack some punch.
The JL and the ID are the two I would narrow it down to (just to second whats already been said). I don't know it would be a hard one to call, I have a ID 10 (DVC) from one of my old setups and it was great but then again JL audio speaks for itself. There on top for a reason.
Speaking of ID, maybe the guru can help me out here, do you know if they still make those horn driven tweeters, the ones that mounted under the dash, if so do you know where to get them, (new, not used).....Sorry about the thread jack

Scratch that I just found them

Last edited by Spun; 02-06-2008 at 04:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-06-2008, 04:31 AM

06lsbalt, Thanks for your comment. I hope to have it finished this year. I have to foam around the box still so i can do away with the towels and blankets around it now. I try to seal it off from the trunk. Still have my SPL ports to install run my subs ohm load down and see what it will do.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:16 PM

does anybody know if the dual enclosed 12" compvr kickers will fit into the trunk of the cobalt ss. i just wanted to make sure i could get it in there before i bought it.
Old 02-07-2008, 04:30 PM

Fitting 12's in are a pain in the ass, this is why I went back to 10's. They will fit but not through the trunk opening, and in order to get them through the opening in the back seat you actually have to take the back seats out. Sounds easy enough right ? Wrong, the back seats are held down by 4 bolts two of which are under the seat and almost impossible to get to with a ratchet, invest in the ratchet style wrenches, I believe its a 13mm. The factory power lines alsorun throgh the bar in the back seat so you can't totaly pull them out and even if you get the bolts out then you have to very gently wiggle them out from under the platic moldings ( the ones that have the rear seat arm rest)
My advice stick with 10's
The advantage of 12's is they are hard to steal, but on the same note thiefs will destroy your car trying to get them out. If they want your **** there going to take it, might as well make it so they cause as little damage as possible in the process
Old 02-07-2008, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
Fitting 12's in are a pain in the ass, this is why I went back to 10's. They will fit but not through the trunk opening, and in order to get them through the opening in the back seat you actually have to take the back seats out. Sounds easy enough right ? Wrong, the back seats are held down by 4 bolts two of which are under the seat and almost impossible to get to with a ratchet, invest in the ratchet style wrenches, I believe its a 13mm. The factory power lines alsorun throgh the bar in the back seat so you can't totaly pull them out and even if you get the bolts out then you have to very gently wiggle them out from under the platic moldings ( the ones that have the rear seat arm rest)
My advice stick with 10's
The advantage of 12's is they are hard to steal, but on the same note thiefs will destroy your car trying to get them out. If they want your **** there going to take it, might as well make it so they cause as little damage as possible in the process
I never took out four bolts when i pulled mine out. I dont remember how i pulled it out but there were no bolts involved.
Old 02-07-2008, 06:43 PM

RE audio MX 12" i have two of them and they put my two jl w713's to shame, and they weigh almost nothing compared to jl, or any other sub for that matter because of the neo magnet, their also nicely matched up with an orion 1200d, which i just so happen to have a brand new one for sale