Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Looking to upgrade...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to upgrade...

OK, I know I could probably search and find most of this, but i figured Id ask anyway, as I have lots of questions.

I finally decided I wanted to upgrade my sound in my car. I want to do this by adding a very nice 12 inch sub, and a new head unit.

My question is, if I add a new headunit, will my speakers (there are 6 in our cars pioneer w/ amp) will they still work just fine, or does something special need to be done with them? Would a new head unit make the inside speakers sound better, and or would it be worth upgrading those speakers as well?

Does the stock amp power the stock speakers, and if so, how much RMS does each speaker in the car get?

Anything else I should know prior to taking this step and getting a new HU, and sub?
Old 05-09-2008, 10:29 PM
Banned

Depends... if u cheap out then u will probably be dissappointed.

I got the GM kit for cobalts+onstar+chimes (however mine is an 05 so it didnt need it)
Steering wheel kit will also be needed.

I bought an avn6610 and it came with an amp "turn on" switch.

The amp powers all the speakers and the woofer + it has no or minimal crossover from the back speakers.

Out of all the things you shouldnt cheap out on... its the head unit and all the accessories. Yes, the speakers sound ALOT better with the built in EQ my HU has but not much without using it.
Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 PM

I have the pioneer system w/ out onstar.

I guess, the first question I should have asked was

Is there a way to get an aftermarket sub in our cars, without replacing the HU?

to add on that, is it an easy way?
Old 05-09-2008, 11:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Its called an LOC (Line Out Converter)
Check the FAQ it has the answers your looking for
Old 05-09-2008, 11:48 PM
Banned

just tap the HU wires and run them to the back before they hit the amp under the steering column
Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
Its called an LOC (Line Out Converter)
Check the FAQ it has the answers your looking for
https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/how-install-system-stock-headunit-85131/

OK I read that and it sounds very interesting. I remember asking this like a year or 2 back, and was told it couldnt be done.

So based off that guide, I can take the sub and amp out of my attic, do this, and it will work just fine with the stock head unit? All speakers working, and with the stock amp in place too boot? I also dont have to take out he HU at all?

This sounds like a deal breaker to me.

1.) Is it really that easy?

2.) Does it sound good? (I assume speakers in the car wont change, but w/ the addition of a 12 inch amp w/ more power, much more and better sounding boom?

my only other question, is how to adjust the base and trebble? I know most Aftermarket head units, let you adjust the sub separately from the rest of the system. Is that what the LOC does? Ill ahve to go look at one at best buy, but im not familar with them.

rrutter thanks for the info, If I dont do this I may look into the Eclipse 6620, it looks really sweet, I just dont really want to spend that much money if I dont have too
Old 05-10-2008, 01:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
loc will not allow u to adjust the sub separately... only way to do so is aftermarket HU. and dont run both the stock 10 and the 12
Old 05-10-2008, 07:32 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Xenozx
rrutter thanks for the info, If I dont do this I may look into the Eclipse 6620, it looks really sweet, I just dont really want to spend that much money if I dont have too
You can always try a refurbished one and get the 6 month warranty on it. I bought a refurbished xbox360 and my current 21 inch monitor and they last for ever. Guess the tech who re-works them knows the common issues that go on to make sure they dont break again.

Or,

There are some pioneer options (d3, d1) i saw out there that looked good for better prices. Eclipse really is only if you have the cash for it.
Old 05-10-2008, 12:00 PM

I do have a couple more questions if you dont mind. I spoke to a friend of mine who will help me do what ever I decide to do. I showed him that guide and he said its not what I want to do. Said that the sub wont be controlable at all, and that its going to be fed highs/mids/and lows, and its just not a good idea.

he suggested I go the head unit route. I dont mind this, as I just saved 100 bucks getting my exaust leak fixed So, I think I am going to go w/ a new head unit.

1.) if I go with a new head unit, how easy is it to retain the stock amp for powering the speakers. Like I know the HU has its own amp, but my friend said in most cases you can shut off the amp part of the HU and use the amp thats already in the car. is this possible and easily accomplished?

2.) He said something about having to do the above will require the ability to convert the speaker outs to RCA outputs? I dont know this is about where I got confused?

3.) Does the stock amp power the speakers and the sub? What amp is it, cause he said it would need to be pretty powerful. by diconnecting the stock sub, its not going to overpower the speakers is it?

4.) What kit would i need to retain the steering wheel controls?

5.) outside of

AMP
new SUB and BOX
Wiring kit for amp
new head unit
wiring harness for HU
wiring kit for steering wheel controls

6.) is there anything else I would need? Is it a pain in the ass to get the stock head unit out? Do I need a special tool?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 PM

bump for questions above
Old 05-11-2008, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock HU is easy to take out. Remove the piece of trim that sits above the glove box, remove the piece of trim that sits to the right of the ignition, now pull the trim from around the HU off using the two open spaces at the top created by the removed trim, once this piece is out there are 4 bolts that hold the HU in, they are 7mm, remove them and your done.
Note: the best way to remove the piece of trim beside the ignition is to first pull the panel that covers the whole underside of the dash, directly under the steering column, off just a little bit , its easier to get off if you can get under it, .
When pulling the trim off, you need to use a little force but not alot of force (I know, its an oxi-moron) but you dont want to break the tabs that hold it in place, they however will not go quietly .
If you want to keep your stock HU but still have sub volume control, look into the JL audio Cleansweep, more expensive than most LOC's but cheaper than the Eclipse. Personaly, I think that Eclipse makes one of the better HU on the market and would go with it over an LOC of any sort, but thats just my opinion.
I forgot to look at what year your car is, but if its an 07 it will need as a GMOS LAN 04 and it will cost ya, $150 give or take depending on where you get it if its an 06 then one of the cheaper harnesses will do, but most companys offer free or discounted install on HU when you buy it from them, go with that, save yourself some headache. The cheaper harness part # is Metra = 70-2202
heres a link to the steering wheel controls
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface