Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Loud Engine Noise...

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Loud Engine Noise...

i just had a system installed in my 05 ss. running an extra stinger batt instead of caps, almost 3000 watts between two amps, components all the way around, and 2 infinity perfects 10". now we made a new ground plate in the trunk because the original was not that great. With the wide bad wired up the whine through the speakers is insane, with out it there is still a little noise that can be noticed with the volume really low. i mentioned poss a grounding kit but my installer wanted me to check with you guys seeing as though the forums may have better ideas because we all have these cars.
Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM

To me it just sounds like a plain bad ground. It shouldn't matter how much power your system is using, or how many batteries/caps/amps/crossovers you have... a whine through the speakers is a straight sign of a bad ground and/or a bad wire somewhere. It could be the rca's from your H/U to your amps, it could be some speaker wire with a bit of a torn insulation jacket tocuhing bare metal, anything. As I'm sure you know, your whole car carries current back to the alternator, and having bare wiring or a bad ground ANYWHERE will give you that whine.

Check all your exposed grounds and wiring first, and then start dismantling all the different components bit by bit to rule them out.

Other than that, I don't think me or any other member can give you any more solid advice than that.

Also, it could be a bad solder joint on the intenral components of one of your speakers or inside one of the amps. I had a friend with a spec-v sentra with the same problem, it turns out one of his rca connections had cracked just inside his amp, and it made his speakers whine like a bitch.

Hope you can fix it
Old 08-07-2007, 11:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jlewis2578
i just had a system installed in my 05 ss. running an extra stinger batt instead of caps, almost 3000 watts between two amps, components all the way around, and 2 infinity perfects 10". now we made a new ground plate in the trunk because the original was not that great. With the wide bad wired up the whine through the speakers is insane, with out it there is still a little noise that can be noticed with the volume really low. i mentioned poss a grounding kit but my installer wanted me to check with you guys seeing as though the forums may have better ideas because we all have these cars.
If you have those RCAs with the big metal ends, make sure they aren't grounding out against anything behind the head unit or near the amp. Is the head unit grounded through the factory harness or did you run a new ground?
Old 08-08-2007, 01:52 AM

If you are running a pioneer or panasonic head unit look out for blown RCA shield inside the head unit itself. If so you will have to ground the rca outputs. I just had this problem with my Pioneer Avic D3 but managed to fix it. But like said above check all that first.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:02 AM

we have checked the wiring, took us 3 days to tear everythig down and put it back. The noise is there even with the radio disconnected. and was present with the stock amp. just louder through the speakers when amplified b 3000 watts. would a grounding kit help?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:47 PM

Here is a place that you can start to try to fix your problem.

Quick things to check for...

Are your speaker wires run along side either your RCAs or current wire? Are your RCAs run along side your current wire? If so seperate them all.

Another thing you can try is it wrap a grounding wire around your speaker cables and/or your RAC cables. You can also try to coil your speaker wires. An easy way to do this. Get three strans of wire all different colors (this is just to make it easy to tell what is what) clamp one end and then get a drill and grab the opposite end of the wires. Spin until they are coiled to your liking or they are the length that you need. Take one color as + one as - to the speakers and then ground the third. This creates a bit of a grounding shield to keep out the noise.

How many amps (as in add up your fuses amperage) are you running? Some times an over worked alternator can cause wine, but from your description it doesn't sound like this should really be your problem. Just throwing it out there.
Old 08-09-2007, 05:30 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
pic of the ground plate?
Old 08-09-2007, 11:04 AM

I wish I could get you guys a pic of the new ground plat but unfortunately the system is in a false floor and sealed I would need to take the whole floor apart. Sorry. I can tell you that we used like 1/4" metal and made an "L" bracket, ground down the paint to bare metal in the trunk floor, bolted it down and ran a 0 gauge line from the bat to it and grounded all the amps to that plate. We also ran a 0 gauge from the motor to the rad support just to ground the engine.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:32 AM

Thanks for the suggestions guys. But we are past the simple things with checking wires and such. I need some more creative ideas. I am running the AVIC-Z1 and JBL components all the way around with 2 10" Infinity Perfects, Crown Series 2200watt amp and 4ch 750watt amp.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:49 AM

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/thumpper/viewtopic.php?t=7
Old 08-10-2007, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The noise is there even with the radio disconnected.
If the whine is there with the head unit disconnected then it's obviously not the head unit's fault.

Does whine come out of your sub amp as well, or just your speaker amp? You might try turning the crossover off on the sub amp and see if it whines there too.

Also, try checking the resistance from each amps ground terminal to the negative post of the battery and see what you come up with.
Old 08-12-2007, 08:20 AM

lol my bad i missed that one
Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 AM

I had this problem awhile ago, it ended up being one of my amps that was messed up
Old 08-12-2007, 11:04 PM

We trie a new 4 ch amp and the same thing. The power cord is run up the drivers side and the speaker rca are up the passenger side. a lot quieter without the wideband hooked up but still a slight whine, clunking when step on bakes or even turn on the headlights.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:34 AM

im still pretty sure its the ground... no offence but i was lazy and i have a decent ground so sometimes i get said effects but most of the time its good.

If you still want things to check try changing rca cables, testing the system using a different source (mp3 player ect instead of the deck) Also i have no idea how you guys did the grounding plate (welds usually have the most resistance out of anywhere in the car) but is everything all gounded to the plate? also any idea what the resistance of the actual plate? with electronics if the ground isnt the same or very very close then ground loop is created. Your experiancing ground loop right now. By taking out the wideband you removed another ground point with a different reisitance then everything else making the ground loop less.