Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Mysterious RCA connectors in trunk...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mysterious RCA connectors in trunk...

Before I start, FYI, I've read the Stereo FAQs and various posts, and none of them seem to address this situation.

So there's this '08 SS/TC I'm looking at. It has the "7 speaker" Pioneer audio system, but there's no subwoofer in the trunk. Kinda looks like one should be there (there are a couple bolts sticking out on that side), and there's a pair of wires with RCA connectors there, too. No other wires I can see.

If I get this car, I'm not planning on putting my "better" HU in any time soon, but I would really like to put my sub & amp in there (I've already got a good setup). Did someone take out the stock sub? If so, are those RCA connectors "low-level" outputs?

Again, if I get this car, would it be a better idea to find a used stock sub to hook up? From what I've heard, it doesn't kick very hard (but then again, I don't usually crank it too loud). Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by The Finn
Before I start, FYI, I've read the Stereo FAQs and various posts, and none of them seem to address this situation.

So there's this '08 SS/TC I'm looking at. It has the "7 speaker" Pioneer audio system, but there's no subwoofer in the trunk. Kinda looks like one should be there (there are a couple bolts sticking out on that side), and there's a pair of wires with RCA connectors there, too. No other wires I can see.

If I get this car, I'm not planning on putting my "better" HU in any time soon, but I would really like to put my sub & amp in there (I've already got a good setup). Did someone take out the stock sub? If so, are those RCA connectors "low-level" outputs?

Again, if I get this car, would it be a better idea to find a used stock sub to hook up? From what I've heard, it doesn't kick very hard (but then again, I don't usually crank it too loud). Thanks in advance for any ideas.
Id double check the wiring. But it does sound like someone might of used a line convertor and gotten rid of the stock sub.

And the stock sub most of the time doesnt feel like it does much. It does have a few notes where it seems to actually hit pretty good (for what it is).
Old 04-08-2011, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by CordiaDOHC
Id double check the wiring. But it does sound like someone might of used a line convertor and gotten rid of the stock sub.

And the stock sub most of the time doesnt feel like it does much. It does have a few notes where it seems to actually hit pretty good (for what it is).
That's actually what I was thinking. I'll bet a previous owner took the stock sub out so he could put a bigger/better one in with his own amp. I tried to follow the RCA wires, but couldn't tell where they went. I'll have to try again; would the line converter be near the end of the wires, or closer to the HU?
Old 04-08-2011, 11:24 PM

line converter will probably be up on the rear speaker deck, its usually tapped into your rear speakers
Old 04-09-2011, 03:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
loc could be anywhere to be honest. ive put them in the rear deck behind the stock sub under the rear seat behind the deck in the b pillar under the carpet at the stock amp somwere ect ect

are the rca's running towards the front? if so drivers or passenger side
Old 04-09-2011, 10:34 PM

07LT that's the most unique color for wheels I've ever seen. Very cool.

To contribute to this thread, if you already have a sub/amp setup, just run a new set of RCA's and try to remove what's left of the previous install...I don't know what others think here, but personally I think hi-low converters sound like **** 90% of the time without an in-line EQ/crossover network.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:30 PM

Found it! As 07Cobalt LT said, the converter was near the rear speakers - it was screwed into the underside of the trunk area and very difficult to see. Looks like a POS, but I figure I'll try and hook up my stuff to it just to see how it sounds. I've got a very high-quality amp, so I figure I can tune it pretty well, no matter the quality of the signal it's getting.

Anyway, this isn't even my car yet. I'm getting way ahead of myself. The audio situation wasn't a make-or-break thing, just wondered what "work" might've been done already. Thanks guys!