Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Need Help with Running Cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help with Running Cables

Hello,

So I decided to put in a new sound system in my 2006 Cobalt LS coupe as a project to keep me entertained during the winter holidays.

I purchased a new headunit (Pioneer AVH-P4100dvd) and some polk audio speakers. Specifically the db521 for the front, and the db651s for the rear.

The How to "Rear Speaker/ Read lid removal w/ PICS!!" was really helpful and I thank Gotenks for it.

https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/show...nstall+speaker

My question though, or what I am asking is if anyone can show me how to run the RCA cables from my headunit to the trunk, pictures would be nice . Once I learn how to do that, I can run the from speaker wires as well to the trunk.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-23-2009, 05:23 PM

there are a couple routes you can take....assuming your amp's are in the trunk.

first route would involve you running the rca's through the center of the vehicle, through the center console's insides, removing the base of the rear seat, and then running the rca's under the carpet between the center console and rear seat. from the bottom of the rear seat you'd direct the cables into the trunk.

the simpler route involves you running down the driver or passenger side plastic paneling. that's a very easy route as you don't have to remove anything panel-wise in the car to run the wire.

i personally prefer the first route though for the rca's, and the second route for the remote power wires. i do this as to keep cross-talk between the remote wire(or any other wires carrying power of some sort, even the bass knob cable) and the rca's.

And.....it works...seeing as how I don't have any whine in my car.....and that's even more rare when running a carpc.
Old 12-23-2009, 06:00 PM

Hey,

I believe I saw a "How To" for removing the center piece, and I'll use your suggestion for running the RCA cables through the middle.

Would it be possible for anyone to show me how to remove the driver or passenger side plastic paneling so I can run the remote wire cable through that route?

Thanks again for the reply
Old 12-23-2009, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by intel
Hey,

I believe I saw a "How To" for removing the center piece, and I'll use your suggestion for running the RCA cables through the middle.

Would it be possible for anyone to show me how to remove the driver or passenger side plastic paneling so I can run the remote wire cable through that route?

Thanks again for the reply
Pull it off, its all held on by clips, except for the door of course, which as like 4 screws.
Old 12-24-2009, 12:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Be careful pulling the panels off, those clips do break if your rough on them.
Your going to want to run the RCA's down the passenger side, the stock power wire runs down the driver side and general rule of thumb is not run signal wires and power lines together
It makes it easier if you unbolt the seatbelt from the floor, I think its a 13mm but its been a while.
There are 2 screws in the doors if your pulling them off, one in the handle, and one behind the crome leaver that opens the door, both are hidden behind a plastic tab which you will need a small thin flat head to remove before you get to the screws . Both screws are phillips heads (star)
Once you have the screws out you can remove the bezel and slip the crome leaver through the opening then starting from the bottom pull the panel off, slowly, one clip at a time

Don't forget the remote wire, and disconnect the batt before you start
Old 12-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks for the replies so far.
Yea I have been reading the "How To" for the door panel. Seems pretty straight forward, just waiting on my window crank handle tool to arrive.

I'll try to remove the passenger floor panels when I get a chance.
Old 12-25-2009, 12:48 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
the setbelt bolt is a torx... T50
Old 12-26-2009, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
the setbelt bolt is a torx... T50
The seatbelt bolt is hard as **** to get off
Old 12-27-2009, 12:04 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol ya the first time but after 20 or so it gets pretty easy. GM uses locktight on the seatbelt bolts both front and rear