Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

need help with sub wiring

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2007, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help with sub wiring

alright guys i need some help with wireing my sub into my car can anyone help me? its easy i know i cant do it easily but i didnt buy a headunit so im using the stocker but my problem is that i dont know where to put thwe line in line out wire thats come from the sub to the head unit because theres not plugins like there is on a aftermarket headunit did anyone wire a sub into there car using the stock headunit?
Old 04-08-2007, 10:18 PM
I'm old school

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You need to use a device that takes the speaker line levels from your rear speakers and produces a line level output. There is no line level output from the stock head unit.
Old 04-08-2007, 10:25 PM

the easiest way to do it it to install a line level converter in the trunk utilizing the speaker leads that go to the factory subwoofer. the line level converter will give you the rca jack outputs you're looking for. also some amplifiers come with high level inputs, the look like the speaker outs but would say something like speaker level or line level in. u can use those and not have to buy a converter. good luck
Old 04-09-2007, 03:10 PM

PM sent to ssadiction
Old 04-09-2007, 03:16 PM

You need to pick up the converter that u will have to tap in to the front speakers and rear speakers, and that converter will have the RCA's on it...i got mine for i think 35...but once u use that all u will need to finish making the system work is the remote wire which i think for Cobalts is orange? not 100% because its been a while, but its usually the biggest wire...I also think the speaker wires are dark green and light green, dark blue and light blue...
Old 04-09-2007, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmS0335
You need to pick up the converter that u will have to tap in to the front speakers and rear speakers, and that converter will have the RCA's on it...i got mine for i think 35...but once u use that all u will need to finish making the system work is the remote wire which i think for Cobalts is orange? not 100% because its been a while, but its usually the biggest wire...I also think the speaker wires are dark green and light green, dark blue and light blue...
why front and rear??? you can just install the line output converter in the trunk running off the rear output, just tap into the wires going to the 6x9s.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by rick1217
why front and rear??? you can just install the line output converter in the trunk running off the rear output, just tap into the wires going to the 6x9s.

All the wires goto the head unit so this would be the best place to tap into. Yes you could tap right off of the 6 X 9's in the rear but you will only be carrying the frequencies that are played on the rear speakers. Most music however spends different signals to different speakers. Most commonly left and right, but some also does go front to back. So for the easier way you can tap in on the rear speakers. But to make sure you have all of the sounds that your playing i would still recommend tapping in behind the CD player because your going to have to tap into the Remote wire anyways.
Old 04-09-2007, 03:34 PM

cant you just take out the stock subs and use the wires going to that?

thats what I plan on doing. lol
Old 04-09-2007, 03:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SmS0335
All the wires goto the head unit so this would be the best place to tap into. Yes you could tap right off of the 6 X 9's in the rear but you will only be carrying the frequencies that are played on the rear speakers. Most music however spends different signals to different speakers. Most commonly left and right, but some also does go front to back. So for the easier way you can tap in on the rear speakers. But to make sure you have all of the sounds that your playing i would still recommend tapping in behind the CD player because your going to have to tap into the Remote wire anyways.
I have never heard of that before, most(probally every) cd player only uses stereo(left and right). Some of the higher end in dash dvd players might do that but they also have 3 pre outs so line out converters are not needed. A low end factory deck like this will just have a stereo output. I went off the wires from my factory 10"sub, but some guys with no factory sub might have to just tap into their rear speakers, also, where did you find a line out with 4ch into 2ch?? theres a 4ch into 4ch and 2ch into 2ch.....
Old 04-09-2007, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by rick1217
I have never heard of that before, most(probally every) cd player only uses stereo(left and right). Some of the higher end in dash dvd players might do that but they also have 3 pre outs so line out converters are not needed. A low end factory deck like this will just have a stereo output. I went off the wires from my factory 10"sub, but some guys with no factory sub might have to just tap into their rear speakers, also, where did you find a line out with 4ch into 2ch?? theres a 4ch into 4ch and 2ch into 2ch.....
I just have teh base model, and the particular model adapter i had purchased had wires that needed to be hooked up to the positive and negative to the front and rear, and it just had the RCA plug on the adapter. So u tapped into those 4 wires and plug in the RCA plugs and the Remote and thats it... I didnt have the factory 10'' since i just have the base model, but just saying thats the stuff that i did for my car. Plus when hookin up the amp you need to tap into the remote wire so i just thought it was easier...

Plus if you ever decided to get an aftermarket head unit, it would be much easier to hook it up with the RCA's already run to the back of the CD player...