Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Need help. Wideband gauge won't turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help. Wideband gauge won't turn off.

Would like a little help. I followed the directions, and everything is a little messed up. Can somebody help me out?

Here's the problems:

1) The other day I decided to wire my Interceptor, wideband, and a sensor module for data recording into my car. Those who have wired an Interceptor into their cars know how easy it is. You run the gray cable from the gauge to the OBD2, and run the red wire from the 3 wire harness to a switched link that only turns on when the car is on. I used an Add A Fuse, and connected via the sunroof position in the fuse box. My Interceptor will not turn on when I start the car. I have to disconnect the OBD2 plug, wait a few seconds, and plug it back in in order the Interceptor to come on. Once it is on it stays on. When I turn off the car it will turn off. Link to directions I followed: http://www.aeroforcetech.com/files/I...AL_rev_2_6.pdf

2) My wideband gauge remains working while the car is turned off, even after several minutes. I have run the cable between the gauge and the sensor module. There is no way to screw that up. I also spliced the red wire from the wideband gauge and the yellow wire from the sensor module to the same line I ran for the Interceptor into the Add A Fuse I used for the Interceptor, thereby plugging 3 wires into one fuse. Each line is not only fused individually, but the fuse utilized for the Add A Fuse is slightly greater than the sum of all three individual fuses (5+3+1/2). I also spliced the ground wires from the gauge and the sensor module into one connection, and grounded that connection to the body, properly. The red wire for the sensor module is run through the firewall and connected to the positive jumper post on the fuse box under the hood.

Wideband Installation Instructions: http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1144.pdf
Sensor Module Installation Instructions: http://www.autometer.com/productPDF/1263(pdf).pdf

I can't understand this. Is there something I did wrong by splicing all the lines together the way I did? Should I seperate them into individual fuses in the fuse box? Any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated. I find it ridiculous that after working for 6 hours today and coming back to my car I find that the wideband gauge is still lit up and trying to get some readings. It was saying 16.0 with all the amber and red leds lit up while the car was not turned on, just like in the pic below.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:56 PM

well if you ran the wire to the sensor module to the underhood positve post. it will always have power. that post is live power
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36 PM

If you look at the install instuctions for the sensor module, which I posted, you should see that that is what was supposed to be done. However, the yellow wire is supposed to restrict function to only occur when the car is turned on, at least that is what I'm understanding from the install instructions.
Old 11-10-2009, 01:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
He's right
From reading through those instructions, from what I could gather is that bothe red wires need switched 12volt power sources. The jumper post is not a switched source it is a constant. You need a power source that turns on and off with the car, or it will get power all the time and stay on like it is now.
If you don't want it to to stay on for the extra 10 mins like the radio then find a fuse that doesn't have the RAP feature
Old 11-10-2009, 07:23 AM

Okay. I get what you're saying now. I'll change that this afternoon. Thanks to both of you for your help.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:35 PM

Ok, I have successfully identified and fixed my gauge wiring problem. Nothing discussed here was beneficial to me, but that is none of your faults.

The problem was identified when a friend asked me if my sunroof opens when the park is off, keys out of the ignition, and doors open. The answer was, "YES." I then pulled the OBD2 plug for the Interceptor and everything went off and the sunroof didn't open. What I found out was the OBD2 was allowing everything to remain powered because I spliced all wires that were to be connected to a switched fuse together. The solution was powering the Interceptor to a switched fuse on its own, seperate from everything else. After a quick test of turning on and off the car, everything now works as it should, except for one thing -- the wideband gauge. The wideband gauge is not turning on because, according to Auto Meter, it was manufactured after all the other gauges and the sensor module for the Nexus Series gauges and is not recognized by the sensor module until another gauge is linked to the system.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aint that a bitch!
This is why I stick to stereo's and lighting
Good luck though!
Old 11-11-2009, 07:22 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm going to order another gauge next week. We'll see how that goes.