Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

need help wiring new hu suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 02:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
need help wiring new hu suggestions

Ok. I have read the faqs and feel bad for posting these questions, but to me what i read wasnt too clear so hopefully i am not wasting anyones time.

i am currently running the stock pioneer setup. i have an alpine 9855 hu that i want to hook up. my question is can this hu power the stock pioneer speakers (i dont care about the sub) or do i have to have the stock pioneer amp to do that??

I think i would rather the alpine hu handle this but it doesnt really matter if the pioneer will do a better job ill do that.. my next question is eventually i would like to install my components and 6x9s and have them amped (non pioneer). will i lose my door chimes if i bypass the pioneer amp when i do this??

overall goal is to install hu. install components and 6x9s and maintain chimes and ability to easily go back to stock

temporary goal to install hu maintain chimes/onstar.

i guess i really dont care about the chimes too much. i just need a good plan of action so i can do the install this week.

should i buy the gmos lan 04 or go a diff route?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What year is your car?
Old 04-13-2009, 04:32 PM

08 tc...
i dont really use the onstar and could replace it with bluetooth. i just dont know the best way to wire it for my needs.

anybody have any suggestions on a way to wire with my goals posted above?

im thinking i can get the metra gmos lan 04. and split the rca signal from my hu if i want to install an amp. if i do this i will need to keep the pioneer speakers and change the location. i am also concerned that my 4v preouts will now be 2v preouts since the signal is being split. any ideas on this?

Last edited by madlion; 04-13-2009 at 04:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
if you have an aftermarket amp using the rca preouts on the deck you will loose your chimes. also the way it is done from factory what adding an aftermarket amp with the stock speakers really isnt the best way to go about it.

voltage doesnt split but the impedance does. its sorta wierd how it works. but splitting the rcas does lower the signal quality
Old 04-14-2009, 01:11 AM

i took out all stock stereo and went alpine type-r and never looked back. i even had the infra red gadgetty thing installed to retain all steering wheel buttons, etc. sry im an 06. no chimes.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:41 AM

so i should just get the cheap harness if i intend on bypassing the factory amps in the future.. does the cheap harness still hook up to the pioneer system?? i will still need the pioneer amp until my tax returns come back lol. and can i still use the pac interface for my steering wheel controls with the cheap harness. and what model number is the cheap harness. thanks for the help..
also i wouldnt be keeping the stock speakers when i add an amp. the 9855 has the remote connection for the pac unit so i do not need the universal pac swi..

thanks for the help.. this is the most confusing wiring ive delt with. last time i bypassed an amp was on my 95 altima and it was sooo easy.
Old 04-14-2009, 02:54 AM

if youve done it before it should be pretty easy to do again. especially since GM uses the same stereo wiring colors for 99% of all the vehicles they make

part numbers are in the faq. buy the cheap harness for now and run the ACC to thr fusebox (sunroof or wiper fuse) when you bypass the amp and do door speakers at the same time all you need to do is disconnect the speaker and remote wires into the cobalt harness and run the new speaker wire from your aftermarket amp to the stock amp and tap the speaker wires there
Old 04-14-2009, 03:13 AM

it was a lot different on the altima.. so let me get this straight. if i get the cheap harness i need to run the alpine speaker outs to the factory amp.. the rca preouts or the the speaker outs running 50x4???im slightly confused on exactly what im doing..

im disabling the factory amp and just using the alpine deck to power the speakers and running the alpine 50x4 to the pioneer amp just because the wires are there not using the pioneer to power the speakers.. if this is essentially what i am doing is the alpine 50x4 stronger then the pioneer amp?

also i shouldnt need a crossover because the alpine 9855 has it built in...
emperor am i following this correctly??

sounds like buy the cheap harness and follow the directions for the amp bypass..
Old 04-14-2009, 03:24 AM

you need to swap the speakers to do an amp bypass

your using the cheap harness and the alpine speaker outputs to power the factory amp until you buy the aftermarket amp and or new door speakers. you cannot run the stock speakers off the alpine deck without blowing the factory tweeter (right away) and the alpine soon after
Old 04-14-2009, 03:29 AM

unless i buy a separate external crossover.. but the stock speakers might have a funky impedance which the deck cant handle? i think i got it now.. thanks for the help
Old 04-14-2009, 03:38 AM

stock speakers are 2 ohm. deck is only made to handle 4ohm+

stock tweeters have an active crossover so they require a 2 ohm crossover (remember impedance effects the crossover freq and since 99% of all aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm that wont be easy) or you could possibly look up and find a capacitor to install on the tweet and run the woofer fullrange for a while

Ultimatly its all a pain in the ass to its easiest to just think to urself you cant interface with stock. I do this bullshit all day long and have all the tools and experiance to figure it out but i still will not do it. its not worth the time effort and necessary headache. Ive been asked locally at least 3 times. sadly i work on all the cobalts myself (im that damn good with them)