Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Need some input... I'm such a nub.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need some input... I'm such a nub.

Ok so I did some searching on here... but I didn't find all the answers to my questions. I'm a total nub when it comes to car audio, so I need all the help I can get. Let me first list what I'm looking for:

My old boss gave me an older JL Audio 12" sub (hardly even used... it's been sitting around). I am going to put it in a sealed enclosure. I don't want to run this off of the factory head unit... so I'm looking for a new head unit for my 2.4 SS.

I want a few features though:
1. Ability to interface with the steering wheel controls (I know this will probably require a separate unit, but I need the ability to do this eventually).
2. Ability to connect to my iPod (same as above... I know most have an extra unit to connect to the h/u, but I need the ability to do this eventually).

I've been thinking about the Alpine cda-9851. Is this a good unit? What do all of you audio experts out there suggest?

And on another note... this is the nubness coming through... how bad are the factory speakers in the car? I just have the 4 speaker system with the mp3 capable head unit. I know that they are probably bad compared to what is out there, but how seriously should I consider replacing the factory speakers in the car? Does that require adding an amp or just wiring the straight to the aftermarket head unit? I know that I need an amp for my sub, but I have no idea what kind yet as I haven't figured out what model the sub is (so I have no idea how much power I need).

How hard is it to wire all of this? I'm thinking of just getting it all installed professionally. If I do replace the speakers, I assume that the wiring will have to be replaced as well... am I right? And what about power consumption? Should I worry about using a capacitor to prevent dimming?

Feel free to answer any or all of my questions. Just please keep it nice... I already said I'm new to audio and haven't a clue what I'm doing.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:44 AM
360 L337 User

crutchfeild has a wiring kit that will let you use the steering wheel controls, and if your not real picky you can just get one of those cigarette lighter r/f modulators for your ipod. plus it will charge it as well.

personally, I would buy pioneer, but alpine is ok too.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:48 AM

I already have an iTrip... I want to have a wired connection for my iPod. I'm picky.... haha.
Old 03-29-2006, 10:49 AM
360 L337 User

not sure then, since i don't have an ipod yet. I want a 60g video one. but i don't wanna spend that much yet
Old 03-29-2006, 01:58 PM

All the new Pioneer, Alpine, and probably all brands of head units have a box you can buy seperate to control the ipod. They are around $100 and it is directly wired with the headunit changing songs instead of on the ipod. That will be your best sound quality also.
Old 03-29-2006, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by tsmock
All the new Pioneer, Alpine, and probably all brands of head units have a box you can buy seperate to control the ipod. They are around $100 and it is directly wired with the headunit changing songs instead of on the ipod. That will be your best sound quality also.

exactly ...thanks for piping up .. .all the things you are looking for can be had ... look on crutchfeild for the steering wheel controls .. I would recomend a Pioneer deck.. but you cant go wrong with alpine ... (pioneer is just my preferance and I find them visually more appealing) as mentioned above most new decks will have ipod capability ...(doubble check when buying)
Old 03-29-2006, 04:25 PM

Ok. I think I've changed my mind. I'm liking the Pioneer DEH-P6800MP headunit. With that, I can use the PAC SWI-PS unit to interface my steering wheel controls through the wired remote connection (no messing with IR). The Pioneer headunit will also interface with the iPod either through an aux input on the front of the unit (and use the iPod to control my music) or through the optional CD-IB100 unit (and use the headunit to control my iPod music).

Here's a link for the headunit:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...078777,00.html

Here's a link for the PAC unit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-osao8KZ...900&I=127SWIPS

Here's a link for the iPod control:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...089315,00.html

Here's a link for the wiring harness:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-osao8KZ...sp?i=120702103

And finally, here's a link for the dash kit:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-osao8KZ...p?i=142GM1587B

Best Buy has the headunit for $269.99 with free installation (at least free for this week... maybe longer... i don't know).

Total Estimated Cost: ~$445

This doesn't include the cost of a sealed enclosure for my sub, amp for the sub, and installation of my amp and sub.

Any other suggestions for me? Or am I pretty much set here?