Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Need Sub-Woofer Help...

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Need Sub-Woofer Help...

I'm looking to get these Subs but I just wanted to ask all ya audio fella's what you think.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-1RQXjhb...520&I=109P1024

I have alway's used JBL and have never been let down. But with so many options now in day's I thought someone might be able to suggest something better. I don't wan't to blow out my windsheilds with overwhelming bass, but I do like a decent little thump in the seat. Kinda massages the back ya' know?!

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2006, 09:40 AM

So I guess no one know's anything about audio huh?
Old 09-26-2006, 11:45 AM

Well if you give the thread a bit more than 18 minutes you will get some replies.

I personally always run Rockford Fosgate audio in my cars. I'm my opion is it some of the best stuff going for the price. Have a look on e-bay, you'll be suprised what you can buy audio stuff on there for.
Old 09-26-2006, 11:50 AM

You can do a great deal better than that. I have never been a fan of JBL until recently with their new amplifiers. As for their sound....eh. To be honest, your going to get the best sound out of some JL Audio. If thats a little out of your price range, theres a company that not too many people know of. Image Dynamics, which can be purchased from sounddomain.com I owned 2 10's myself and could have very easily won some SPL contests. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 09-26-2006, 12:05 PM

Thumbs up Kicker Baby

I have 2 12 Kicker comp cvrs with a memphis mono amp and i love it, i can basically rock pictures of peoples walls when i drive by.. U cant go wrong with kicker.. Great price and great quality. I paid 80$'s a piece which is an outstanding price, and my friend has memphis supposively the best, and i can hang with him if not out pound him.. they will most deff vibrate ur seats.. I paid $600 dollars for my whole system which is a steal.. the memphis amp was $300, wires $100 subs $160 Box $50... I totally recommend these subs
Old 09-26-2006, 12:29 PM

I already have a box for 2 10's that fit's perfect in the trunk. How do the 10 inch Kicker's sound. I like the JBL's, the were the best sounding ten I heard at the store. But I'm still open for more opinions!
Old 09-26-2006, 01:01 PM

how bout the ten inch alpine type-r's those are nice.
Old 09-26-2006, 01:08 PM

How much do they run
Old 09-26-2006, 01:19 PM

ive seen then the most 180...for one. they are 500 RMS 1500 Watts..my friend has 2 of them. one amp for each...maad loud. plus he also has a alpine 4 channel amp up to alpine type x components...i like those type r subs

he has these Alpine SWR-1042D
Old 09-26-2006, 01:24 PM

there's nothing wrong with JBL, if you find an amp to run 4ohms to each voice coil they should sound decent.

that being said, for that price you can do a lot better, personally i'm a fan of the kicker comp vr's very nice sounding and powerful sub, i ran 1 12" of those in my old car and hit 139 dB and it still sounded very nice for daily use
Old 09-26-2006, 07:52 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
fosgate ftw... lol from what it looks like you should go with a single 12... i would say go with the facotry sub bc its overall good but going that route would be best if you had the whole system
Old 10-16-2006, 12:47 PM

So I got a set of AW1006T Flame Q Audiobahns from EBAY for $80 a piece. They just came in today and I can't wait to put them in. I think I might scam out of work early! I let ya'll know how they turn out.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:12 PM

I'd say Audiobahn is a step down from the JBLs, I've heard toooooo many sotries of them catching on fire to trust them.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:26 PM

The JBL's look good to me... anyting from Infinity/JBL is good in my books....
But i've said in the past... i'm an Alpine guy.... I'd suggest Type-R's too (big boom).... Type-S's if your on a budget (or just looking for a clean 'little' boom)
Old 10-16-2006, 03:27 PM
Banned

Audiobahn makes good amps. Dont buy your stuff from crutchfield there to expensive. Go to this website and look around. www.etronics.com There **** is cheap. I have ordered from them over 5 times and its been perfect everytime. There is a free ship coupon also. The code is freeship
Old 10-16-2006, 03:35 PM

lol audiobahn makes good paperweights... i wouldnt mind using one of thier baskets to hold any of my random equiptment
Old 10-16-2006, 04:25 PM

I would go find a shop that has these and have a listen. Every one's ear is different so no one can tell you what you will think is good. Every one says that JL is the best out there but I personally think they are waaaayyy over rated. I would take an X-Type or even an R-Type over a JL W7 any day, but that is me personally (I know I will get crap for that but that is my honest personal opinion).

Also, your box is more important than your sub. Your sub only makes up about 20% of your setup. You amp is around 10%. But your box is the other 70%. With a crappy box even the Critical Mass UL12 (easily the best sub on the market but costs 2000) will sound like crap. And a good small sealed box can probably make those Audiobahns sound pretty good.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:32 PM

lolture a good box helps but from the audiobahn ive herd its trashy.... plus theres only so much you can chrome
Old 10-16-2006, 04:43 PM

I used to compete SQ & SQ Plus and I have to agree, that your box/enclosure is the most important part of your sound setup. And you can't just take a good box, you have to have a good box designed for your vehicles sound stage and it's position. For your subs, if you go sealed, you have to get the right fill. You have to sound supress the vehicle so you get good clean bass instead of rattle.

And lets not even begin to forget power. Your power system is one of the most important parts of your audio system. The stock alternator most likely will run out of juice real quick.

Let me just say that as long as you have decent amps and speakers; the enclosures, sound stage, sound damping, and power will have alot bigger effect on how good you sound than then brand of speaker and amp.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:04 PM

go with elevation audio..
new on the market, but best ive heard, and seen

www.elevationaudio.com

it is expensive, but the more you pay, the more you can play
Old 10-17-2006, 10:22 AM

Im sorry i cant agree with anyone in this page, First off i cant listen to JBL only cause i have never used them. Second new Rockford's aernt even worth it unless you get the Stage 3's which are definitely not even that great. IF you choose to go with rockfords look for a decent set of HX2's or something on ebay....you get them at a deal now. As per Audiobahn, their not a BAD sub however, i dont think they produce as much bass or sound quality as needed.

Now im partial to JL's is what i have (JL W3V2's to be exact) two of them in 12's and i have never really heard anyone hit harder or sound better being i have them tapped into a 800watt monoblock amp. This setup is loud enough to make you feel your own heart beat in the front seat, also makes my rear view useless. But even on a smaller amp you will still get unbeatable sound.

The other hand, my mom whos on this site "superchrgdprincess" or something, I installed a set of subs in her car shortly after her 10" JLW3's had taken a ****. She now has 12" poweracoustik FUBR's which are a hard hitting sub, In a cobalt i have noticed its a little harder to get subs to that satisfactory level compared to my SRT-4. But needless to say those subs on a Directed Audio 2400 Watt amp, Hit Very hard and barely even dim the headlights or any other instrument cluster for that matter. Which is very crucial in building a high depth system. Her car will also now hit that low low bass note which you can feel.

ALSO TUNING of your system is crucial. Make sure it is tuned properly, i tune all of mine with a bass mechanics cd or the MTX tuning disc, Thats how you know your **** hits properly.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by tricky1
I'd say Audiobahn is a step down from the JBLs, I've heard toooooo many sotries of them catching on fire to trust them.
A big step down.

Originally Posted by Allshot
Audiobahn makes good amps. Dont buy your stuff from crutchfield there to expensive. Go to this website and look around. www.etronics.com There **** is cheap. I have ordered from them over 5 times and its been perfect everytime. There is a free ship coupon also. The code is freeship
Umm, Audiobahn is dirt power. Eww.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by lorenwade
A big step down.

Umm, Audiobahn is dirt power. Eww.

HAHAHAHAHA i like this dude.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:07 PM

Well I was very supprised by the sound I got from the two 10's! They a very efficiant(95db) and they work great with my amp and ported box. I had two of my buddy's who are audio junkies help me install and they were both very impressed. but holly **** do i need to buy some Dynomat!! Talk about rattle nasty!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN
I used to compete SQ & SQ Plus and I have to agree, that your box/enclosure is the most important part of your sound setup. And you can't just take a good box, you have to have a good box designed for your vehicles sound stage and it's position. For your subs, if you go sealed, you have to get the right fill. You have to sound supress the vehicle so you get good clean bass instead of rattle.

And lets not even begin to forget power. Your power system is one of the most important parts of your audio system. The stock alternator most likely will run out of juice real quick.

Let me just say that as long as you have decent amps and speakers; the enclosures, sound stage, sound damping, and power will have alot bigger effect on how good you sound than then brand of speaker and amp.
thats pimp... im thinking about going to sq with my new balt (old car was spl only)... how much sound dampener did you usually use? im got 25 ft of hushmat for my doors when i roll around to them.

Quick Reply: Need Sub-Woofer Help...