Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New to Cobalts... Not to car audio

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New to Cobalts... Not to car audio

First thing is first... i have been into the so called tuner and import car thing for some years now and i have came accross somethings that i've never had to work with before... most of the cars that i've worked on have been 90's or early 00' imports... like hondas and mitsubishi... however... i just recently bought a 2006 cobalt... nice... base, but nice... i just have two questions... first is the smart FM tuner in the car.. i know the technology has been around for a while now.. i have just never had to deal with it before... i just wanted to know what the "real" term for it is and if there are any aftermarket head units that offer it... i have installed many head units in my time... but never one with "smart FM"???? Any one have any idea what headunit manufactures offer this or if they call it somehting special?... also, the auto volume adjust in the cobalt... you know.. you hit the gas the it gets louder.... i need to know how that works.. and if aftermarket units offer that.. and if i buy one that doesnt... will it cause CEL or anything?... b/c i assume it is computer controlled????.... any help here would be great.... thanks in advanced.. and this is my 1st post.. i look forward to many more.... thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have no clue what you mean by Smart FM, unless your talking about the RDS system where the rado stations call letters and song info show up on the screen, thats offered by a few different manufactuers, but none with radios I would buy. As far as the Speed dependent volume adjustment, that is done through the Computer, as the revs go up it tells the radio to turn up, there are some radios out there that do this, I had one back in 97 that did it, I have since found out that, since I like the volume loud, I don't need it and it just makes the sound distort when it gets louder...So I don't worry about that option, but you can still find it, and you don't need to connect to the computer to use it, the radio just uses the voltage to adjust it self. (as long as you connect the correct harness correctly, you will not get a CEL.