Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New GM iPod Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New GM iPod Adapter

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...cleId=121830#2

DETROIT — The iPod adapter is the new cupholder. With that in mind, GM on Tuesday said it is bringing out a $159 "Personal Audio Link" iPod adapter that will be available now on several key vehicles and gradually roll out on many of its models by the end of 2007.

The first vehicles to get the device are the Chevrolet Cobalt and HHR, Pontiac G5 and Solstice, and Saturn Sky.

GM said its adapter is not visible to the customer and is integrated through the radio's digital XM Satellite Radio band. The buyer plugs the iPod into an interface cable in the glovebox. The device charges the iPod while the vehicle is in operation.

The system displays song title, artist, time and track position on the radio display and allows song selection by genre, playlist, artist and album. It also features an alphabetical search function through artist, album, genre, playlist, podcast or audio book.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:42 PM
MaJ

Uses the XM Radio jack huh? Hmm.. wonder if this is a cable that can be aquired and added to any radio that supports XM?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:45 PM

So if I have XM (Which I do) Can I still Use My XM if this is used in the XM port?
Old 07-26-2007, 12:47 PM
MaJ

Originally Posted by RuSSo-29
So if I have XM (Which I do) Can I still Use My XM if this is used in the XM port?
My guess would be no. Likely what you'll need to do is disconnect the XM receiver thinger and put this cable in it's place.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:51 PM

finallyyyyy!

Originally Posted by MaJ
My guess would be no. Likely what you'll need to do is disconnect the XM receiver thinger and put this cable in it's place.
Uhhh why would they disable the XM? It will probably integrate another source into teh Radio controls and allow you to retain both. Seems silly to disable XM use to be honest.

Last edited by CJ BadBlackSS; 07-26-2007 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-26-2007, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The part number for the balts/G5's is 19171028. It's been out for quite a while now. I'm in process of trying to get the instructions for it.

Here's a pic of whats in the box:

Old 07-26-2007, 01:17 PM

so where can one buy it then?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by fr33k
The part number for the balts/G5's is 19171028. It's been out for quite a while now. I'm in process of trying to get the instructions for it.

Here's a pic of whats in the box:

pic doesnt work, but id like to see it
Old 07-26-2007, 01:26 PM

well as soon as my xm expires i planned on hooking up my sirius to it since i woulndt have xm cept it was 3 months free i wonder if i can use both after i do that
Old 07-26-2007, 01:29 PM

hmm. Pic works on my end. Try rightclicking the blank spot where pic should be and click on show picture. Sometimes that works.

Ya can buy it from just about any GM dealer. Or, gmpartsdirect.com.

edit: sometimes ya have to refresh the pic to get them to work. Darn free web storage sites
Old 07-26-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by midnitebalt
well as soon as my xm expires i planned on hooking up my sirius to it since i woulndt have xm cept it was 3 months free i wonder if i can use both after i do that
just call XM and tell them you want to cancel, i got another 3 free months
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM

If the pic still don't work, I've uploaded it to my vbgarage thing.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:47 PM

Does it work for all years and models?
Old 07-26-2007, 01:53 PM

if it's only for iPod... **** it.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:54 PM

I think it's only for the cars that has the new bowtie radio. The ones that are in the 07's. This number only shows to fit 07 Balts,HHRs, and G5s.

Originally Posted by bc3tech
if it's only for iPod... **** it.
yea, I think it's just for the iPods.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:08 PM

Dang why didnt they stick it in the 06. That sux!
Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM

Ordered the kit.

Dammit now I need to get an ipod!!

Anyone want to reccomend a particular ipod for this?

edit: heres the pic from fr33ks vbgarage:

Last edited by Pyros777; 07-26-2007 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 05:53 PM

I was asked to register and answer a couple of questions that have come up and even some that have not been asked yet:

1) The PAL does not require XM to work, it only requires an XM compatible radio.

2) The PAL does not require you to deactivate XM to operate. I happen to like XM and we don't typically like to disable features that our customers have already paid for so the criteria was that it work with XM.

3) The PAL does not require an XM subscription to operate. It works either way so keep your subscription if you like XM.

4) The PAL is hardwired to the audio inputs on the radio, it does not use modulation through an XM channel. We chose to use the XM input because it would allow us to write information the radio such as artist, song title, etc. It also allows us to reconfigure the buttons under the display to be iPod control specific. Hardwired inputs also give a superior quality sound to modulated interfaces.

5) The PAL is only available through dealers. There are a couple of dealers that sell discounted rts online but they are still dealers.

6) The PAL is pretty easy to install although it can take a bit of work to get to the back of the radio. It is plug and play (no splicing). It does require basic mechanical capability and if you have XM it requires that you have the dealer program the PAL. It doesn't matter if you have a subscription or not, if you have XM it requires programming.

7) It works with the iPod because they own the majority of the market and it is the one most requested by our customers. It takes a lot of software developement to get it to work with other devices. We reserve the right to support others in the future as resources allow but we have no concrete plans at this point. It is the PAL after all, not the iPAL.

8) It is release for the 2007 model year only for now. Engineering tells me that it should work with the 2006 radio but it has not been confirmed yet. There are a lot of customers with other vehicles models that are waiting to get the PAL so it may take some time to validate the 2006 application.

I think that is the bulk of it. I better submit this before the storm outside takes my computer down again. I will try to check this forum from time to time in case more questions arise but I can't promise anything.

Regards,

Greg Papendick
GM Accessories
Global Electronics Portfolio Planner
Old 07-26-2007, 05:57 PM

if they get it to work with the 06 then i will be REALLY happy! if not, then i gotta buy an ugly aftermarket head unit that sticks out
Old 07-26-2007, 06:00 PM

or just look into upgrading to the newer radio. i'm curious to see if this would work on my '06 with the original radio. while i do like the radio in my car and don't mind it vs the new design, if i could get my ipod hooked up without needing the arm adapter that gets in my way any time i hit 2nd, 4th, reverse, and the hand brake, then i'll get the new radio.

wonder if i could get an extension of somesort so i'd be able to keep the ipod in a better location, like the little try just above the drivers left knee. thats where i keep my ipod when i don't use it.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:47 PM

Thank you Greg for all those answers. It's good to know its hard-wired!

As far as the reprogramming for cars equipped with XM is concerned: Can that be done by the end-user via the radio controls or a tech 2, or is it absolutely necessary to take it to a dealer?

Last edited by Pyros777; 07-26-2007 at 07:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Pyros777
Thank you Greg for all those answers. It's good to know its hard-wired!

As far as the reprogramming for cars equipped with XM is concerned: Can that be done by the end-user via the radio controls or a tech 2, or is it absolutely necessary to take it to a dealer?

You are entirely welcome. I will help as much as I can.

The programming is done with the Tech 2 so you need to have access to one for that portion of the install.

Regards,

Greg Papendick
GM Accessories
Global Electronics Portfolio Planner
Old 08-04-2007, 12:58 AM

Well I got my PAL! Looks just like the picture posted above. (of course)

Unfortunately I need to get a couple little tools mentioned in the instructions before I can install it. I would take it to the dealer but I want to do it myself so I can post up a how-to.

One thing I noticed though, the instructions refer you to a "Figure 6" which shows the pinouts on the BCM, but HAHA figure 6 is missing.

Hopefully next week I'll have this baby installed with how-to.
Old 08-04-2007, 05:25 PM

I just finished installing this and the instructions included are terrible! Figure 6 which is easily the most important picture is MISSING?! WTF GM?

I've made a little how-to to help anyone else out who was/is completely lost...

Step 1: Remove trim to get to radio, if you don't know how to do this go here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/how-guide-43/disassemble-dashboard-radio-related-panels-7236/

Step 2: Pull the radio, 7mm socket is required

Step 3: Install the PAL harness, run wires towards the BCM

Step 4: Re-install the radio and trim pieces

Step 5: Drill 13/16" hole in glovebox and feed white iPOD connector through, securing it to the grommet. Only the small side of the cable will fit through the hole, so make sure you drill the whole before you plug it into and mount the PAL

Step 6: Plug the wires into the PAL unit. If you mount the unit before you plug the wires in as the instructions dictate its becomes almost impossible to plug the wires in and will cause you much more frustration than is needed, trust me...

Step 7: Remove the J1 connector from the BCM, its the one on the bottom right, cut the zip tie holding the top and bottom parts together and open it

J1 connector opened, red arrow indicates pin 18

Step 8: Look for pin 18, its the green wire on the top left of the connector. GM tells you to pull it out, I just cut it

Just above the green wire is a little '18'

Step 9: Crimp the 'TO XM' wire from the PAL to the pin 18 green wire you just cut/removed. I chose to solder the wire together partly as I don't have a crimper and partly because its more solid.

J1 connector re-assembled with pin 18 removed and attached to the 'TO XM" wire. I put a zip tie back on just to be safe even though I don't think it really needs one.

Step 10: At this point with all the wires plugged into the PAL unit, I attached it to the heater core as instructed

Step 11: Clean everything up, replace BCM trim piece and drive to your dealer to have them program the PAL
Old 08-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Greg Papendick

6) The PAL is pretty easy to install although it can take a bit of work to get to the back of the radio. It is plug and play (no splicing). It does require basic mechanical capability and if you have XM it requires that you have the dealer program the PAL. It doesn't matter if you have a subscription or not, if you have XM it requires programming.
So why does the dealer have to do the programming?? That means I would have to pay the dealer a stupid amount of money (at least one hours labour) for them to do this. That does not make sense. I would rather buy it myself and be able to program it myself. It can't be that hard to do.

Originally Posted by davis98
I just finished installing this and the instructions included are terrible! Figure 6 which is easily the most important picture is MISSING?! WTF GM?

I've made a little how-to to help anyone else out who was/is completely lost...

Step 1: Remove trim to get to radio, if you don't know how to do this go here: https://www.cobaltss.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7236

Step 2: Pull the radio, 7mm socket is required

Step 3: Install the PAL harness, run wires towards the BCM

Step 4: Re-install the radio and trim pieces

Step 5: Drill 13/16" hole in glovebox and feed white iPOD connector through, securing it to the grommet. Only the small side of the cable will fit through the hole, so make sure you drill the whole before you plug it into and mount the PAL

Step 6: Plug the wires into the PAL unit. If you mount the unit before you plug the wires in as the instructions dictate its becomes almost impossible to plug the wires in and will cause you much more frustration than is needed, trust me...

Step 7: Remove the J1 connector from the BCM, its the one on the bottom right, cut the zip tie holding the top and bottom parts together and open it

J1 connector opened, red arrow indicates pin 18

Step 8: Look for pin 18, its the green wire on the top left of the connector. GM tells you to pull it out, I just cut it

Just above the green wire is a little '18'

Step 9: Crimp the 'TO XM' wire from the PAL to the pin 18 green wire you just cut/removed. I chose to solder the wire together partly as I don't have a crimper and partly because its more solid.

J1 connector re-assembled with pin 18 removed and attached to the 'TO XM" wire. I put a zip tie back on just to be safe even though I don't think it really needs one.

Step 10: At this point with all the wires plugged into the PAL unit, I attached it to the heater core as instructed

Step 11: Clean everything up, replace BCM trim piece and drive to your dealer to have them program the PAL
Nice write up! How much did you pay for the unit??

Last edited by DoubleLP; 08-04-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Quick Reply: New GM iPod Adapter