Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New GM iPod Adapter

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 05:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Greg Papendick
I was asked to register and answer a couple of questions that have come up and even some that have not been asked yet:

1) The PAL does not require XM to work, it only requires an XM compatible radio.

2) The PAL does not require you to deactivate XM to operate. I happen to like XM and we don't typically like to disable features that our customers have already paid for so the criteria was that it work with XM.

3) The PAL does not require an XM subscription to operate. It works either way so keep your subscription if you like XM.

4) The PAL is hardwired to the audio inputs on the radio, it does not use modulation through an XM channel. We chose to use the XM input because it would allow us to write information the radio such as artist, song title, etc. It also allows us to reconfigure the buttons under the display to be iPod control specific. Hardwired inputs also give a superior quality sound to modulated interfaces.

5) The PAL is only available through dealers. There are a couple of dealers that sell discounted rts online but they are still dealers.

6) The PAL is pretty easy to install although it can take a bit of work to get to the back of the radio. It is plug and play (no splicing). It does require basic mechanical capability and if you have XM it requires that you have the dealer program the PAL. It doesn't matter if you have a subscription or not, if you have XM it requires programming.

7) It works with the iPod because they own the majority of the market and it is the one most requested by our customers. It takes a lot of software developement to get it to work with other devices. We reserve the right to support others in the future as resources allow but we have no concrete plans at this point. It is the PAL after all, not the iPAL.

8) It is release for the 2007 model year only for now. Engineering tells me that it should work with the 2006 radio but it has not been confirmed yet. There are a lot of customers with other vehicles models that are waiting to get the PAL so it may take some time to validate the 2006 application.

I think that is the bulk of it. I better submit this before the storm outside takes my computer down again. I will try to check this forum from time to time in case more questions arise but I can't promise anything.

Regards,

Greg Papendick
GM Accessories
Global Electronics Portfolio Planner

Greg, in response to 6, this kit does require one wire to be spliced into the PAL wire harness. Its not 100% plug and play. Also, I'm almost positive that all Cobalts with the compatable radio came with 3 months of free XM, which means everyone needs to have their car programmed. The only Cobalts without XM are the LS models that don't have the compatable radio.

Originally Posted by DoubleLP
So why does the dealer have to do the programming?? That means I would have to pay the dealer a stupid amount of money (at least one hours labour) for them to do this. That does not make sense. I would rather buy it myself and be able to program it myself. It can't be that hard to do.

Nice write up! How much did you pay for the unit??

I paid $175 Canadian with tax, so its not the cheapest unit ever. Most dealers will program this for free, it only takes 2 minutes. You can program it yourself if you have a TECH 2.

As for why it needs to be programmed it has something to do with AM --> FM --> XM --> AM --> FM --> iPOD when you click the BAND button. It doesn't work at all without programming.

Last edited by davis98; 08-04-2007 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-04-2007, 07:20 PM

Ahhh ok. Well I am definitely going to order this. Now question is does it charge the I-pod at the same time it is plugged in?
Old 08-04-2007, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Davis98, you are a godsend. Thank you for posting that up!

DoubleLP, yes the iPod is charged while plugged in, and only if the car is in ACC or actually on.

As for the reprogramming, you should be able to do it with any Tech 2. The instructions for the procedure are as follows:

Originally Posted by GM Instructions
21. XM must be enabled in order to function with the PAL. Using a Tech 2 properly connected with ignition "ON" and engine "OFF" perform the following steps:

A. Build the vehicle by selecting the model year, vehicle type and "Body".
B. Select "Personal Audio Link module"
C. Select "Special Functions".
D. Select "Digital Radio Receiver".
E. Select "Enable".

After enabling XM with the Tech 2, the PAL should be restarted. To do this, turn ignition off and remove key. Open the driver's door to disable retained accessory power and wait for approximately 5 minutes for th red LED on the PAL to turn off.
Old 08-04-2007, 07:56 PM

Can this be installed and wired over to the left hand side storage compartment to the left of the steering wheel, instead of the glovebox?
Old 08-04-2007, 08:07 PM

The cable from the PAL unit to the iPOD is a little on the short side for that. If you found somewhere else to mount the PAL unit it would work. The cables from the PAL to the radio are very long. Also, the grommet on iPOD cable is fixed in position so you would have quite a bit of cable in that little compartment, I find its too long for the glove box.

Its definetly doable, just a matter of how much effort you want to put in.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:14 AM

anyone happen to know if this will work with the '06 radio?
Old 08-12-2007, 11:26 AM

for the price of this i would rather get an aftermarket HU.
Old 08-12-2007, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by pimpnwink
for the price of this i would rather get an aftermarket HU.
doesnt look as nice though
Old 08-20-2007, 01:56 AM

anyone know if this can work on the 06 without xm or onstar?
Old 08-26-2007, 12:55 AM

^ Sorry Rocco dont know..

Well, thanks to Davis98's walk through I was able to install my PAL!

Installation ran a little long since this was the first time I had taken my dash apart. I'd say about 2 1/2 hours. I can easily envision this taking only about 30 minutes though. I also spent some time figuring out a way to not have to drill anything, as well as have the iPod in a better spot than the glove box.

My solution was to run the white RJ-->iPod cable underneath the dash piece that is directly under the drivers knees, and into the left hand compartment. I had to move the black rubber stopper further up the wire towards the iPod side of the cable in order for it to work, but its in!

Install procedure went something like this:

1. Unplug negative side of battery.

2. Remove dash trim pieces as depicted >>here<< (Except for driver side lower center console panel)

3. Run the iPod side of the RJ-->iPod wire to left hand dash compartment, pushing the rubber stopper to about 4 inches from the connector.

4. Remove Radio and attach harness as per the instructions. Send the rest of the harness down by the BCM for the next step, and re-seat the radio.

5. Remove the BCM connector, cut the zip ties, and remove the blue cover. You need to push in 4 little tabs that keep the blue cover attached to the connector in order to get it off.

6. Cut wire 18 (because as hard as I pulled, that sucker wouldn't come out. I ended up
accidentally tearing it off. Its way harder than removing a computer molex connector wire.)

7. Strip a tiny bit off the end and insert wire 18 into "To XM" wire sleeve and into the wire stop. Crimp with any common crimping tool (took a trip to home depot for that one). If crimped tight enough, this is extremely solid. I skipped the heat shrink step in the instructions. No heat gun or blow dryer handy, and frankly that thing isn't coming out any time soon.

8. Seal up the BCM connector, put some new zip ties on, and reconnect it.

9. Plug in the last piece of the harness as well as the other end of the iPod cable into the PAL device, and test fit it. Once you're sure of how you will maneuver the device to get it attached to the heater cover, clean the surface and apply the adhesive promoter, remove the red strips from the adhesive pads on the PAL, and stick the device on the heater cover.

10. Re-assemble dash pieces.

11. Re-attach negative side of battery cable.

12. Now comes the interesting part. I turned the car on, cycled the band button until I came back around to XM, expecting to see nothing, and the radio said "Loading iPod". HOLY CRAP! It worked without having to take it in to get reprogrammed. I shuffled through my songs, got acquainted with the interface, etc. IT WORKS! I'm not sure if it has anything to do with having the battery unplugged so long, my XM subscription being inactive or what, but it works like a charm. I don't see any reason to take it in now.

I took some pics along the way, but I skipped some important ones mostly due to only having two hands. I'll post the pics tomorrow.

Last edited by Pyros777; 08-26-2007 at 01:26 AM.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 AM

but if im subscribed to onstar can i still listen to it or no.
Old 08-27-2007, 01:21 PM

Yes.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:12 PM

Disclaimer: no time to read the entire thread, so....

wonder if this will work with 2006 ss/sc with onstar/xm?
Old 08-28-2007, 12:58 AM

Does anyone know if this will work in the 2006? I do not have on star or XM. I would really like to pick this up if it will work.

cheers and thanks.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Doc

Interesting....thanks for the hard work.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:15 PM

I've been meaning to post this for a while but keep putting it off.

I think I know why it worked for me without requiring any reprogramming.

When I cycle the band button, I get AM-->FM-->iPod-->AM-->FM-->iPod-->AM-->FM-->iPod, etc., etc.

I think in my case, I would need reprogramming to add XM back into the loop, instead of the other way around where I'd have to enable the iPod. Since I don't actually have an XM subscription anymore, I've put this low on my priority list and will just continue to enjoy my iPod.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:32 PM

Old thread kicked up.

Originally Posted by Greg Papendick
I was asked to register and answer a couple of questions that have come up and even some that have not been asked yet:

8) It is release for the 2007 model year only for now. Engineering tells me that it should work with the 2006 radio but it has not been confirmed yet. There are a lot of customers with other vehicles models that are waiting to get the PAL so it may take some time to validate the 2006 application.

Regards,

Greg Papendick
GM Accessories
Global Electronics Portfolio Planner
Any word on the 2006 for sure? I have the pioneer stereo, and would love to add this.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:49 PM

Will not work for the 2006.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:51 PM

Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 PM

Thank god my car has the aux port. I'm going to radioshack tomorrow to buy a line in cable for my zune.
Old 04-12-2008, 01:31 AM

Originally Posted by Blue_Balt
Thank god my car has the aux port. I'm going to radioshack tomorrow to buy a line in cable for my zune.
what the **** is a zune?

ohh... that turd of a thing. sweet. have fun with that.
Old 06-30-2008, 03:37 PM

Subscribed
Old 06-30-2008, 03:43 PM

i have an aftermarket one for sale, hooks up the same way. 07+ radios. $100 shipped. PM me.

Originally Posted by xravenwingsx
Disclaimer: no time to read the entire thread, so....

wonder if this will work with 2006 ss/sc with onstar/xm?
wont. we have different plugs on the back

Last edited by JohnyNFullEffect; 06-30-2008 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Premium Member

Im resurrecting this thread to find out if anyone here that installed their P.A.L, if they are having any issues with XM radio. With the PAL installed, Ill be listening to XM say channel 41, and while listening, the channel will switch to channel X0 on and off every few seconds, unitl I cycle the band switch. If anyone has had this problem please let me know and what you might have done to fix it. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:20 AM

Sorry I never took mine to get XM put back into the cycle. If I ever do I'll post back in this thread.

Quick Reply: New GM iPod Adapter