Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New H/U in! Fried my sub =\ Help me choose a new one!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New H/U in! Fried my sub =\ Help me choose a new one!

So I got my new JVC KD-AVX33 in yesterday, looks amazing It has so many options I still haven't figured it all out after 2 hours of playing with it. I can hear a definite improvement in the audio over my last H/U, a JVC KD-LH300, and this is with just stock components.

Anyhow, I was testing it out last night, pounding the **** out of my sub, when my amp cut out and all I could smell was the fumes of a burning subwoofer >.> I pulled over and popped the trunk, smoke everywhere. The sub actually siezed itself together

Anyways, I'm running an old style Rockford RF700s 1400w (700w rms) amp bridged together, what options should I think of for getting a new sub?

I don't really care for competition **** all that much, and I'm looking to keep under 350-400$. Thanks for any input. I'll post pics of the new H/U when I install my new sub.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:13 PM

I would look in to a mephis m3 10 or 12. It should hold up but will not fit in the factory box.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:04 PM

Nah I removed the whole stock setup, I put in my own box.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:56 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
what box do u have? that would help deciding a good woofer
Old 10-25-2007, 03:00 AM

For the money the Elemental Designs 13Ov.2 is pretty nice, the diamond D6 is in the same price range. Both are very good subs. L710's are going for 210 on woofersetc.com which is pretty cheap. Depends on what you want.
Old 10-25-2007, 03:08 AM

Diamond D3 12" - 200-220 each + box.... very clean, hard hitting sub... worth the money... i have two of them and love them,
Old 10-25-2007, 09:13 AM

MTX Jackhammer. 22". Heh j/k. But for real a MTX 9500 12".
Old 10-25-2007, 11:08 PM

what box do u have? that would help deciding a good woofer
It's just some shitty Best Buy ported box, it's close to the cubic requirements my JBL needed, just the dimensions of the port are a bit off.

Turns out my extended warranty was just 3 days shy of running out, so I got it replaced for a new JBL for free I'm gonna go buy some 3/4 MDF and make my own sealed box; less space taken in my trunk, and cleaner sound for all the different types of music I play. And I can push more power into it without blowing it My amp puts out 700rms at full gain and the sub is only rated at 300rms, 1200peak; I should be able to turn my gain up a lil more if I make a sealed box for it.

Thanks for all the input guys, when this one goes, I'll get a nicer sub for sure.
Old 10-26-2007, 03:58 AM

FYI sealed boxes cant handle more power then a ported box... they just cool the sub better so it seems to handle more power... overpowering a sub by that much is going to eventually blow it. I had a XXX hooked up at 1 ohm to my amp and just by doign short bursts the extra 1500+ watts it was getting ended up crackign my dust caps
Old 10-26-2007, 06:24 AM

FYI sealed boxes cant handle more power then a ported box... they just cool the sub better so it seems to handle more power... overpowering a sub by that much is going to eventually blow it. I had a XXX hooked up at 1 ohm to my amp and just by doign short bursts the extra 1500+ watts it was getting ended up crackign my dust caps
I was under the impression that a sealed unit would give you more control over the woofer's movement due to the vacuum created inside the airtight box, then again I haven't been doing this stuff for too long >.>
Am I at least right about a sealed playing a variety of music better with less distortion? My sub seems to lose its sharpness on really deep bass with my ported box.
Old 10-30-2007, 05:44 AM

Not really but if your going to be overpowering a woofer then using a slealed box would help because of the better cooling of the voice coil.... id just stick with trying to match rms of the sub to the amp

Now about the sealed playing "better" your close but sorta really off. A sealed box tends to have a much flatter responce curve. meaning 35hz will play 100db and 60hz will play roughly the same. A sealed box will usually do this thruout the entire freq range its playing assuming u crossover the sub where u should (its not going to play 1khz with ur mids so dont attempt it) Now a ported box will be very peaky. Meaning if its tuned to 35hz a small range of freqs will be very loud (usually twice as loud if not more then 2 sealed subs) but it then becomes like a rollercoaster and drops output everywhere else. Now the remaining freqs other then the peak may or may not be as loud as your sealed box... its going to depend alot on the box, car, song playing, and woofer specs. Ever notice in a ported box you will play one song and it sounds loud and another sounds quiet. Ive even switched woofers in a box and played the same song and it was loud vs quiet. This is why its complicated to get ported boxes right... sealed you basiclly throw whatever in a box and as long as its air tight it will sound decent.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
Not really but if your going to be overpowering a woofer then using a slealed box would help because of the better cooling of the voice coil.... id just stick with trying to match rms of the sub to the amp

Now about the sealed playing "better" your close but sorta really off. A sealed box tends to have a much flatter responce curve. meaning 35hz will play 100db and 60hz will play roughly the same. A sealed box will usually do this thruout the entire freq range its playing assuming u crossover the sub where u should (its not going to play 1khz with ur mids so dont attempt it) Now a ported box will be very peaky. Meaning if its tuned to 35hz a small range of freqs will be very loud (usually twice as loud if not more then 2 sealed subs) but it then becomes like a rollercoaster and drops output everywhere else. Now the remaining freqs other then the peak may or may not be as loud as your sealed box... its going to depend alot on the box, car, song playing, and woofer specs. Ever notice in a ported box you will play one song and it sounds loud and another sounds quiet. Ive even switched woofers in a box and played the same song and it was loud vs quiet. This is why its complicated to get ported boxes right... sealed you basiclly throw whatever in a box and as long as its air tight it will sound decent.

You are ALL wrong... you have to realize something... you cant just throw anything in a box and make it work.. there are specifications that must be made for the sub. for example some subs work better in a ported box rather than a sealed box. Also. your theory about the heat being better in a sealed box being lower than in a ported box... well your just an idiot for thinking that... think about it.. SEALED= no heat getting out... the ported boxes usually are better than the sealed because you can screw up majorly with a sealed box if the dimensions are off... Im sorry man but your post is just ALLL wrong....
Old 10-30-2007, 09:08 AM

wow thats funny... so let me know what cools better a RE MT or say RE SR and why.

FYI i work at an audio shop that builds custom boxes all day long... and i guarantee u post up your statement on any major car audio forum and you probably will get laughed at. I dont know everything about car audio but i know my stuff.

oh lastly if you cant throw any sub in any box and make it work then what is this?

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/s...0QQsacatZ50564

how many of those listings say a subwoofer and model number so you know which box to buy?
Old 10-30-2007, 12:28 PM

wow thats funny... so let me know what cools better a RE MT or say RE SR and why.

FYI i work at an audio shop that builds custom boxes all day long... and i guarantee u post up your statement on any major car audio forum and you probably will get laughed at. I dont know everything about car audio but i know my stuff.

oh lastly if you cant throw any sub in any box and make it work then what is this?

http://electronics.search.ebay.com/s...0QQsacatZ50564

how many of those listings say a subwoofer and model number so you know which box to buy?

JJ you cant put anything in any box to make it sound good... I looked at those pre made boxes just to save some money but i went with a custom box so that my subs can cool and that it doesnt put anymore stress on the sub than there is already. By haveing a sealed box you put more stress on the sub and the voice coil. Think about this... when you put something in the oven is the oven hotter or cooler with the door open alittle bit??? cooler.. it would get hotter if it was totally sealed.. dude you obviously dont know your stuff and i wouldnt be surprised if you worked at best buy.... just because people make pre made boxs for subs doesnt mean that they will fit the requirements for safely running the sub. If you want to blow your voicecoil beacuse of too much stress on the sub then go ahead but im telling you this:

1. sealed boxes cause more stress on the sub and more heat to be avalible
2. no sub is universal to any box... you cant just stick a diamond d3 sub into a box to make it hit hard because the air space isnt right..

Its ALL about airspace... so nice try man but your wrong and i wouldnt hire you if you said this stuff to me as an employer.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:47 PM

i never said you could put anything in a box and it will sound "good" or "hit hard" as you stated. I said its very difficult to get a ported box setup correctly where as sealed is real easy and as long as you make it air tight it will sound "decent" (my quote) Yes it is all about airspace and actually thats how you can "tune" a sealed box (smaller enclosures tend to like higher freqs and bigger enclosures tend to like lower freqs)

FYI the motor and isnt completely air tight.... in a sealed box when the cone goes in and out air is forced thru the motor (by pole vent, holes in the motor and or holes in the basket) and the coil and thus it is cooled. Think of the force that the speaker is making when the box is sealed alot of air is being moved and a good portion of it goes thru the cooling methods of the sub. Now in a ported box instead of all that pressure getting to go in and out of the coil when the cone moves in all that air just escapes thru the port... it is still cooled just not as efficiently
Old 10-30-2007, 02:02 PM

i never said you could put anything in a box and it will sound "good" or "hit hard" as you stated. I said its very difficult to get a ported box setup correctly where as sealed is real easy and as long as you make it air tight it will sound "decent" (my quote) Yes it is all about airspace and actually thats how you can "tune" a sealed box (smaller enclosures tend to like higher freqs and bigger enclosures tend to like lower freqs)

FYI the motor and isnt completely air tight.... in a sealed box when the cone goes in and out air is forced thru the motor (by pole vent, holes in the motor and or holes in the basket) and the coil and thus it is cooled. Think of the force that the speaker is making when the box is sealed alot of air is being moved and a good portion of it goes thru the cooling methods of the sub. Now in a ported box instead of all that pressure getting to go in and out of the coil when the cone moves in all that air just escapes thru the port... it is still cooled just not as efficiently
Like you said it would be cooled jsut not as efficantly i never said it wouldnt be cooled.. Im saying that there is alot of stress put on the sub because its having alot of heat and pressure being put on it. you have to make a sealed box safe.. otherwise youll go through subs like they are nothing... friing the voicecoil isnt that hard.. ive dont it once in a sealed box... I made one myself and fried it and it was a larger sealed box.. still all that pressure blew the sub,... the box was too big for the 12" sub and thus blew the voicecoil because there was too much heat in it.. so thats all im saying....
Old 11-03-2007, 04:13 AM

and i fried my XXX 15 free air.

Im betting the reason why u fried the sub was due to clipping and or overpowering. like you said frying the voice coil isnt hard but its usually fault of the user not the sub or box.