Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New here, audio problems!

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New here, audio problems!

Hey guys!

I'm far from a car junkie, so please excuse my ignorance!

Anyway, I have a 2005 Cobalt Coupe, and love it. Will be upgrading to a new SS when I have the funds, just isn't in the budget ATM.

Anyway, never had any problems with the car, perform regular maintenance on it, etc.

However, the other day my driver side door speaker stopped working. I don't think it's blown or anything, because it worked when I parked the thing in my garage the day before! It wasn't distorted or anything leading up to the malfunction, either.

I'm wondering is it possible that a wire popped off or something?

Ah, as I said, I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this. Anyway encounter any similar problems, or is this a problem that maybe occurs frequently?

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions!

Thanks for the help,

Kayle.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:33 PM

its highly unlikey the wire popped off but possible i suppose. the speaker is most likely blown and you just didnt notice it before
Old 04-09-2008, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by skymynx
its highly unlikey the wire popped off but possible i suppose. the speaker is most likely blown and you just didnt notice it before
Hmm, is this a pricey fix? I'm sure taking to GM to have fixed would cost quite a pretty penny.

It definitely wasn't blown the night before though, I'm sure of that. I know for a fact there was sound coming from it!

Thanks for the prompt response, though.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:38 PM

check fuses?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mikejoness61
check fuses?
I'll... get right on that?

*cough* How does one go about doing that?
Old 04-09-2008, 04:43 PM

umm not sure which fuse box they are in... one fuse box is under the hood and the other is lets say your sitting in front passenger seat it would be at your left foot behind that panel and you have to pull that panel off but check the drivers manuel to see which fuse box they may be in
Old 04-09-2008, 04:47 PM

do oyu have the factory sound system components or are they aftermarket? if factory and your car is still under warrenty, i would take it to the dealer and have them look at so you dont have too.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM

umm not sure which fuse box they are in... one fuse box is under the hood and the other is lets say your sitting in front passenger seat it would be at your left foot behind that panel and you have to pull that panel off but check the drivers manuel to see which fuse box they may be in
What would I be looking for in the fuse box, though?

Originally Posted by calchr2
do oyu have the factory sound system components or are they aftermarket? if factory and your car is still under warrenty, i would take it to the dealer and have them look at so you dont have too.
It's factory, but it's not under warranty anymore, and, as I said, I'm sure they'd overcharge quite a bit if I took to the dealer.

Thanks guys!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 PM

yeah def just do that if its stock why waste your own time trying to figure it out

one suggestion make some friends at a dealership

but look for the i dont know AUDIO speakers or something realating to the speakers fuse on one of the diagrams on the fuse boxes and check the fuse

Last edited by mikejoness61; 04-09-2008 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-09-2008, 04:51 PM

yeah def just do that if its stock why waste your own time trying to figure it out
Not under warranty, though.

I guess I can call and see what I'd be looking at cost wise, but if it's a simple fix, I'd like to do it myself and save some cash!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:56 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
There are 3 possibilities here:

1. The speaker is blown. You will need to take the door cover off to get into the speaker then you will need another speaker to hook into the wires and see if you hear sound out of the new speaker.

2. There is a break in the wire between the headunit and the speaker. If this is the case it can be a pain in the as2 to find, however this scenario would be quite unlikely.

3. The front left channel on the head unit is blown. This will mean replacing the radio.

1 or 3 are more then likely the culprit. Each speaker does not have its own fuse, the radio is run off one fuse. If the radio still works the fuse isn't blown.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by rnjmur
There are 3 possibilities here:

1. The speaker is blown. You will need to take the door cover off to get into the speaker then you will need another speaker to hook into the wires and see if you hear sound out of the new speaker.

2. There is a break in the wire between the headunit and the speaker. If this is the case it can be a pain in the as2 to find, however this scenario would be quite unlikely.

3. The front left channel on the head unit is blown. This will mean replacing the radio.

1 or 3 are more then likely the culprit. Each speaker does not have its own fuse, the radio is run off one fuse. If the radio still works the fuse isn't blown.
Hey, thanks for the info.

Regarding 3, my radio still works, and all my other speakers do. CD's play fine, as well.

Does this confirm that is isn't blown?
Old 04-09-2008, 05:11 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
You CAN have just one channel blow on the radio. I am not sure if the radio in the cobalt has 4 channels or just 2 channels. The speakers are the easiest thing to check. Another thing you can do if you don't have a spare speaker is take the speaker out of the door and hook it up to a home stereo and see if it has sound there. If you get sound when the speaker is hooked up to your home system then the chances are that the car radio is probably going to have to be replaced.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
how much of the car are you willing to take apart to find the problem?

You can take off the door panel, pull the speaker out, throw a short run of wire to the speaker and attach it to a 9v batt... if it *pops* the speaker works (depending on if you hook it up will determine if it moves in or out but it doesnt really matter) and using a multimeter test if you have AC voltage running thru your stock speaker wires

Or you can Pull your stock HU get some thin wires and put them in the connector where that speaker is hooked up and attempt to pop the speaker that way (use extreme caution if you try doing this because if you dont use the correct wires you can mess up something)

Or you can be lazy and take it to a stereo shop say my stock door speaker stopped working and i want to swap them with some aftermarket ones... find some decent $50 speakers and they will have to figure it out