Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New install (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking New install (pics)

Hey, finished up most of the Girl friends car. Nothing extreme, single Infinity basslink in the trunk and Infinity speakers all around run by a alpine 4 channel under her passenger seat. A nice Clarion Head unit. I am looking for something to make the head unit mounting kit stand out, I'm going to put a lighted display in the cubby hole thing...Just gotta figure out what to put there, thinking I'm going to have some plexy etched for her with the Cars Name on it (Rally) so, for now, this is what I have.

Pile of stuff

Doors apart, it was a pain to run new wires through the gromets to the doors

Chair out and side of console open

Backseat out and amp ready to install under passenger chair

Basslink in trunk

Power wires run

Head unit installed.

Sub with carpet

Sub in corner

I have a steering wheel control interface to hook up but was wondering where I find the wire to connect to, is it on the wire harness for the radio from the car?

Thanks.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:59 PM

hmm, nice finger g/f.....lol she was looking at scratches she left when she dragged crap out of the trunk instead of picking it up....
Old 03-16-2006, 04:00 PM

oh gotta love the middle finger picture.... i have never done one myself.... tomorrow is st. patty's day so then I will attempt a cool middle finger picture

On another note I hope she paid for all of that... really sucks when you dont get return on your investment... sucks worse when another dude is cruising around listening to the bumbps you installed....

other than that good install
Old 03-16-2006, 06:32 PM

I don't think she was trying to give the middle finger....just the one she used to check the scratches...Anyway, her alarm and radio are all paid for by me....If she runs off, so be it...But somehow it doesn't seem like she will, she can't live on her own anymore, I don't think I could get rid of her if I tried...(she just wondn't leave)
Old 03-17-2006, 12:09 AM

where you mounted that fuse block in the spare tire well, make sure you spray the outside of the car with undercoating where the screws come through so you don't get rust
Old 03-17-2006, 12:21 AM

you did put the pocket thing in the dash kit right? you didnt leave it that way
Old 03-19-2006, 12:41 AM

? No pocket right now. why?
Old 03-19-2006, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by GSoccer24
where you mounted that fuse block in the spare tire well, make sure you spray the outside of the car with undercoating where the screws come through so you don't get rust
I siliconed all the screws that went to the outside, should do just as well as undercoating...
Old 03-19-2006, 01:09 AM

Originally Posted by SS SChgd
? No pocket right now. why?
because you can see all the wires and stuff...
Old 03-19-2006, 04:11 PM

Nice install, how much better is this setup from the stock?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:26 PM

I siliconed all the screws that went to the outside, should do just as well as undercoating...
well done, just wanted to be sure it was addressed
Old 03-19-2006, 11:42 PM
The Stig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Very nice, I have to remove my interior door panel, how does it come off? Just snaps out?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:47 PM

there are 3 screws
one behind the door handle, and 2 in the little dish handle thing with the window button in it.... be carefull though, plastic button type clips all around, accept where the tweeter is if you have the pioneer system, the ******** at the dealership forgot this when i had a water leak, and now it is 2 pieces...... then just lift the panel up and off. disconnect the window controls, and also the cable for the door handle....... make sure to re connect after.... i forgot to once and was pissed.......
Old 03-19-2006, 11:49 PM
The Stig

Originally Posted by italstalnprd86
there are 3 screws
one behind the door handle, and 2 in the little dish handle thing with the window button in it.... be carefull though, plastic button type clips all around, accept where the tweeter is if you have the pioneer system, the ******** at the dealership forgot this when i had a water leak, and now it is 2 pieces...... then just lift the panel up and off. disconnect the window controls, and also the cable for the door handle....... make sure to re connect after.... i forgot to once and was pissed.......
Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 12:47 PM

there is a piece of plexi in the space for the pocket, I'm working on a lighted name or something for the pocket. Then going to Paint the whole thing to match the rest of the trim.

The door just popped off after taking off the three screws he said above.

I'm still working on adjusting everything, but it sounds alot better than stock. She had the base radio though, I think it even sounds better than my SS/SC radio, but then again I don't like the warm sound of the factory radios, I like my sounds clean and bright.

Anyone know where to hook the steering wheel controls into? is it in the wire harness for the radio or somewhere else.

Thanks
Old 03-20-2006, 01:34 PM

Anyone know where to hook the steering wheel controls into? is it in the wire harness for the radio or somewhere else.

Thanks

you need a SWI-X adapter-- tweeter or hi-fi buys should have it.

or you can go here and it's the SWI-X at the bottom of the page:
http://www.pac-audio.com/products/pr...el%20Interface
Old 03-21-2006, 02:03 AM

I have a Swi-X waiting to install, just want to know where the wires I have to get to are and also a good place to install the IR thingy. Thanks
Old 03-22-2006, 02:35 PM

I am so afriad of replacing my stock headunit because anything else is going to look crazy. You people are nuts!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:35 PM

I have a Swi-X waiting to install, just want to know where the wires I have to get to are and also a good place to install the IR thingy. Thanks
Just follow the install instructions on the web site - they're pretty decent. You will need to tap into 2 wires on the factory harness. One is the signal wire, which hooks up to the PAC box. The other you will need to provide +12 V switched power to. Scary I know, putting power into the factory harness but that's what needs to be done to power the steering wheel control circuit like the factory radio does. I re-read the directions over and over before I did it and its the right thing to do. I can't help you with a location for the IR since I have the SWI-ALP which just plugs directly in to the back of my Alpine radio. Overall it was an easy install although you'll have to come up with something good for the IR.

Also, when you program it, start the car first. The directions don't say anything about it and when I programmed it with the car off, after driving for 20 minutes or so, sometimes the volume up button stopped working for some reason. I figured it must have something to do with voltage so I re-programmed the unit with the car running and it's been fine ever since. Also, make sure to hold the button for 2-3 seconds like they tell you in the directions when programming it.

Jamie
Old 03-23-2006, 04:05 PM

cool, thanks.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:10 PM

where u get that radio harness with that plastic door thingie
Old 08-06-2006, 07:03 PM

old posts are like cheap hookers... thier both horrible.

thakn you and have agreat day
Old 08-06-2006, 11:40 PM

nice install

my only thing i would like to see. i did it on my friends car...as well as my friend did it on his...paint the dash kit silver so it matches the dashboard trim..it looks sweet.
Old 08-07-2006, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by iLLmaTic3s
nice install

my only thing i would like to see. i did it on my friends car...as well as my friend did it on his...paint the dash kit silver so it matches the dashboard trim..it looks sweet.
Which paint are you guys using? Getting it mixed up somewhere or using a Krylon Fusion? I was going to get some matched but noplace would match spray that would stick to plastic.....they all suggested the Krylon Fusion but are there any colors of that stuff that match?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 PM

we just used some spray paint and use a clear coat and it worked fine

Quick Reply: New install (pics)