Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New sound system ?'s

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 08:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New sound system ?'s

ok so this is the scenario: im looking to put in a second sub...preferably made by infinity or pioneer...so what size should i look at getting?---10 In -12 In...what?...also will it hook up to the back of the headunit: is there a second sub hook up or do i have to make some type of splice?...also should i look at installing a amp along with the sub? -i would like to mount the sub to the side of the trunk opposite the factory sub....sorry for the newb question but i kno absolutrely nothing about sound systems...

....so please make some comments
Old 07-07-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ummmm.....what kind of music do you listen too???? Tight bass...go with a 10 if your looking for something that hits deeper get a 12...I personally like JL because they can do both. But are u hooking it up to your stock deck????? if so...you'll need to pick up an adapter to run it to your stock deck and yes you'll need an amp to power it...the stock system will not be able to power it. Personally I'd get a new deck too....it'll sound much better.....louder...cleaner....but obviously more money.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by cobaltR
ummmm.....what kind of music do you listen too???? Tight bass...go with a 10 if your looking for something that hits deeper get a 12...I personally like JL because they can do both. But are u hooking it up to your stock deck????? if so...you'll need to pick up an adapter to run it to your stock deck and yes you'll need an amp to power it...the stock system will not be able to power it. Personally I'd get a new deck too....it'll sound much better.....louder...cleaner....but obviously more money.
ok...you got any good suggestions for a deck...ones thats half decent lookin and also can u get me the link for jl ?...and i listen to rap and rock music...stuff that i think would sound alot better with deeper bass
Old 07-07-2006, 09:20 PM

honestly any deck would be fine...just gotta look around for what you like. I've always liked alpine because they're simple, easy to use and have never had any problems with them.....JL I think would be your best bet....there is alot of subs out there. Kicker comps are decent, a couple of the higher end rockford fosgates arent bad. But like I said...I love JL's and they way they hit. I personally would get the W3 series...but I dont know what kind of levels of bass your looking for...maybe the W0 would be enough. They arent cheap either, but worth every penny. When it comes to most stuff....esp in stereo equipment...you get what you pay for...go cheap..you get cheap results. Go to www.jlaudio.com and look around....any serious audio shop should have these around for testing so you can listen to them.
Old 07-07-2006, 09:41 PM

thanks for the help so far...i checked out a couple or subs on there any they are pretty nice...but im technically inclined when it comes to audio...what im looking for is something that is the equivalent of the stock sub...sorta...i want it to be be able to hit a bit deeper...not overly deep but just enough...not to the point where its annnoying...which model do u reccomend?
Old 07-07-2006, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by mike25
thanks for the help so far...i checked out a couple or subs on there any they are pretty nice...but im technically inclined when it comes to audio...what im looking for is something that is the equivalent of the stock sub...sorta...i want it to be be able to hit a bit deeper...not overly deep but just enough...not to the point where its annnoying...which model do u reccomend?
ooooo.....I forgot u wanted to use your stock sub...my bad....you'd most likely have to stick with your stock deck...it would be a real pain in the ass to run your stock sub with and after market deck. You'll need an adapter...to run an amp with your stock system....as I said before your stock deck wont support wont run it. I would also would suggest using the 12W0....should be enough if you want it to be close to what you have.
Old 07-07-2006, 11:32 PM

Well to be honest you shoudl just dich your stock sub, grab a new sub, amp and deck. Use the deck to power your stock components and then use the aftermarket sub and amp to replace the stock unit if your honestly out for more bass. By the sounds of it you want it louder, and not tight? IF you want a Boom then go for a ported 12 if you want a tight thump then grab another sealed 10 (or two, or three).

Keeping the stock 10 isn't gonna be in your best intrests if you want another sub. Having two diff sized subs is never a good idea if you wanna keep things simple and not have a certain freq overpowering everything in the whole car.

Well jsut to simplify you sub choice if you want loud go with kicker, rockford fosgate, mtx, or alpine. They can kick out some serious noise.

Though if you want quality Polk, JL, Eclipse, are good choices. But the biggest thing is to not mix match your components. If you buy a polk amp but polk components. Cause one speaker vendor makes their speakers work together for a certain application. So adding loud brands components to quality brands subs in your car is gonna really mess up your setup.
Old 07-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by cobaltR
if so...you'll need to pick up an adapter to run it to your stock deck
aren't the pioneer systems low level? if so, you don't need a line-out converter. just splice signal wires into the rear speaker wires behind the radio
Old 07-08-2006, 08:39 PM

I just installed the jl 10w7 and the 500/1 mono jl amp with a pioneer dvd, cd 6.5 inch touch screen and this **** is tight. I used xtream dynomat all around and it does a awesome job. I would get this set up if you got the bank role. I got a awesome deal and it sounds great. JL audio is by far the best quilty in my opinion. The 10w7 is awesome for all kinds of music but I like rock music so I ot the 10inch for a clear rapid beat
Old 07-09-2006, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Ghalterman_usmc
I just installed the jl 10w7 and the 500/1 mono jl amp with a pioneer dvd, cd 6.5 inch touch screen and this **** is tight. I used xtream dynomat all around and it does a awesome job. I would get this set up if you got the bank role. I got a awesome deal and it sounds great. JL audio is by far the best quilty in my opinion. The 10w7 is awesome for all kinds of music but I like rock music so I ot the 10inch for a clear rapid beat
did you keep your stock sub or did you switch it out?....also can the stock sub box be takin apart and replace the sub with a diff. brand as long as it is the same size?
Old 07-09-2006, 07:46 PM

no I disconnected the stock sub. No you can't use the stock setup with my sub. You have to have a custom box made by JL audio for the 10w7.
Old 07-09-2006, 09:30 PM

The W7 series is sick!!!!!! I had one 10 also and man could that little 10 slam. But obviously they're not cheap either, but worth the money if your a serious audiophile. Also mike25...in all honesty, just like specialK said....you'd be best off doing a new system. Something simple....one nice 10 or 12, new amp and deck, prob would do a small amp for speakers all around. I think youd be much happier that route. Best idea....go into a nice stereo shop, somewhere reputable and just chat with them, give them an idea what you want and see what they can do for you.