Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New sub

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2007, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New sub

Well, I used my tax return and bought a JL 10W6V2 from a friend for $220. When I start my new job I'll buy either a JL A1200 or A1400 amp.

Heres a vid and bass test.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6...d00174bb71.htm

I'm going to wire the sub 2ohm later on, it's at 8ohm right now so my Kicker amp won't over power it.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:15 AM

JL is no joke, good buy there. I would go with a 1000/1 monoblock amp to push that single 10w6v2 sub beautifully.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:21 AM

JL's site rates the W6 at 400watts. Hmmm ok 400 watts RMS, at 8ohm my kicker pushes 300 RMS and at 2 ohm 600 RMS. I'd probably go with the A1400 as it fits better.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

no offense dude but people think these subs are the best out there...when in all reality they aren't...I can't see spending that much on a 10 when you can get a better quality subs for less. I'm not sure if you know alot about the specs of a sub and what they mean but these subs only have an efficiency of 83.7dB's at 1W/1m. Yeah they have that clean looking cone that's well known but they aren't worth the money companies charge for them. Take for example the sub's I'm going to be picking up soon which is the Audiobahn ALUM10N. check out these specs for under $100 a sub and ebay it's cheaper.
Features

PHAT 1.75” EPDM Rubber Surround
Spun Aluminum Cone
Dual 6 Ohm Voice Coil
Multi-connect Lug Lock Terminals
Magnet Weight: 120 oz.
Mounting Depth: 5"
Hole Cutout: 9 3/4"
Outer Diameter: 10 7/8"
Subwoofer SpecificationsSize: 10 inch
Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.50 - 1.25 cu. ft.
Rec. Ported Box Dims: 0.60 - 2.35 cu. ft.
Free Air Usage: not recommended
Sensitivity: 95.6 dB
Frequency Response: 20-500 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 800W
Peak Power Handling: 1600W
Impedance: dual 6 ohms subwoofer wiring options

This reply is in no way to flame you or be a dick, i just hate to see another get sucked into the whole "JL W6/7" sub craze. There's comparible out there for less. If JL is only what you want then that's cool I just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents
Old 02-10-2007, 01:24 PM

is that really enough bump for you? cause those dont really get too loud but they do sound clean, im guessing you listen to rock? how did your friend treat it?
Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM

I ran it thru my test...It gets my approval. My kicker hit too hard for me sometimes. I do listen to alot of rock.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
no offense dude but people think these subs are the best out there...when in all reality they aren't...I can't see spending that much on a 10 when you can get a better quality subs for less. I'm not sure if you know alot about the specs of a sub and what they mean but these subs only have an efficiency of 83.7dB's at 1W/1m. Yeah they have that clean looking cone that's well known but they aren't worth the money companies charge for them. Take for example the sub's I'm going to be picking up soon which is the Audiobahn ALUM10N. check out these specs for under $100 a sub and ebay it's cheaper.
Features

PHAT 1.75” EPDM Rubber Surround
Spun Aluminum Cone
Dual 6 Ohm Voice Coil
Multi-connect Lug Lock Terminals
Magnet Weight: 120 oz.
Mounting Depth: 5"
Hole Cutout: 9 3/4"
Outer Diameter: 10 7/8"
Subwoofer SpecificationsSize: 10 inch
Rec. Sealed Box Dims: 0.50 - 1.25 cu. ft.
Rec. Ported Box Dims: 0.60 - 2.35 cu. ft.
Free Air Usage: not recommended
Sensitivity: 95.6 dB
Frequency Response: 20-500 Hz
Recommended RMS Power: 800W
Peak Power Handling: 1600W
Impedance: dual 6 ohms subwoofer wiring options

This reply is in no way to flame you or be a dick, i just hate to see another get sucked into the whole "JL W6/7" sub craze. There's comparible out there for less. If JL is only what you want then that's cool I just thought i'd throw in my 2 cents
audiobahn also compleatly overrates their stuff you should know
Old 02-10-2007, 01:32 PM

Audiobahns also catch on fire. :P
Old 02-10-2007, 01:48 PM

you wont have the problem with kicker or jl.... i personally like the audiopipe eyecandy .. there way better than jl and look better too .. plus there rated at 1400 rms not max watts
Old 02-10-2007, 01:55 PM

I love my Type E's. Seeing as how you listen to rock primarily, yours are probably perfect for you. Sometimes people get subs that are way too powerful for the rest of their system. All you hear is bass.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by halfj99
audiobahn also compleatly overrates their stuff you should know
this i do know but from doing installs and using these subs I've had no problems with them. audiobahn's are actually not near as bad nowadays as people think they are. Also on the overated subject ive seen websites/companies who do actual testing on subs put audiobahns above brands like JL without bias etc. based upon real time data.
Old 02-10-2007, 02:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YEAH JL AUDIO FTW!!! yeah i got the w7 in my car its awsome i jsut recently blew the power supply on the amp tho lol ill get a video of my car on here soon of it playing some good ass MUSIC VIDEOS!! lol maybe ill go now and get some vids
Old 02-10-2007, 08:03 PM

you should get a pic of it in the day light and with change on the roof and trunk
Old 02-10-2007, 08:08 PM

its all right here if you ask me /\
Old 02-10-2007, 08:25 PM

The 10W6 can easily handle the 600 watts from the kicker amp.
Just back the gain down as the extra power won't do much but will allow the amp to run with some nice head room. Jl drasticly underates there subs power handling as they rate as a perfomance handling and not voice coil power failure.

I dont see a reason to swap out your kicker amps for one of the JLs you listed. The A1400 will do the trick but if your not going to the "/" series then don't bother upgrading. The KX600 is a nice amp.

Audibahn sucks and is about the worst piece of monkey crap in car audio other then perhaps Elemental designs and visonik.

If you really want a Jl audio alternative then Adire audio and Resonant Engineering are the common ones. Peerlees has some really nice stuff here and there as does tang-band.
Old 02-10-2007, 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1sty
The 10W6 can easily handle the 600 watts from the kicker amp.
Just back the gain down as the extra power won't do much but will allow the amp to run with some nice head room. Jl drasticly underates there subs power handling as they rate as a perfomance handling and not voice coil power failure.

I dont see a reason to swap out your kicker amps for one of the JLs you listed. The A1400 will do the trick but if your not going to the "/" series then don't bother upgrading. The KX600 is a nice amp.

Audibahn sucks and is about the worst piece of monkey crap in car audio other then perhaps Elemental designs and visonik.

If you really want a Jl audio alternative then Adire audio and Resonant Engineering are the common ones. Peerlees has some really nice stuff here and there as does tang-band.
have you ever owned audiobahn subs before?
Old 02-10-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by impulseballer
have you ever owned audiobahn subs before?
i have i owned the immortal series which it the best of audiobahn subs and it was half way decent it sounded good at lower volumes but when youd turn it up it would destort very badly... and the only audiobahn subs that i know were catching on fire because of their vc was the flame q subs, they were putting too much time making them look cooll than they were making them sound good and hold up
Old 02-10-2007, 09:10 PM

God no, I would not be so foolish.
Why would I need to own them to know there flaws?

I am a former MECP car audio installer for 3 years, and a salesmen for nearly as long. i have been in the car audio industry as a rather serious fan for a decade and am an audio visual system integration designer so my buisness is knowing the real deal behind audio and video. Not to mention I have assisted as both a sound and install jundge for SLAP compititions.

Audiobahn is 90% marketing. Their amps and subs are drasticly over rated in any realistic use of them. Their components and subs sound like complete ass. They are however a more Db oriented product and at that they do reasonably well for a cheap product.
SQ wise though, they are no where near Jl. They are also no where near JL in design/engineering or in real specifications.

By the way they are now part of Pyle as they were all but out of buisness.

I don't mean to pick on you by any means. If you are looking for nothing but loud for a really short price online, then by all means stick with audiobahn if you have had luck with them. I would take a look at RE audio though as you can get them for near as cheep and they are a much better product.
www.reaudio.com
Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 1sty
God no, I would not be so foolish.
Why would I need to own them to know there flaws?

I am a former MECP car audio installer for 3 years, and a salesmen for nearly as long. i have been in the car audio industry as a rather serious fan for a decade and am an audio visual system integration designer so my buisness is knowing the real deal behind audio and video. Not to mention I have assisted as both a sound and install jundge for SLAP compititions.

Audiobahn is 90% marketing. Their amps and subs are drasticly over rated in any realistic use of them. Their components and subs sound like complete ass. They are however a more Db oriented product and at that they do reasonably well for a cheap product.
SQ wise though, they are no where near Jl. They are also no where near JL in design/engineering or in real specifications.

By the way they are now part of Pyle as they were all but out of buisness.

I don't mean to pick on you by any means. If you are looking for nothing but loud for a really short price online, then by all means stick with audiobahn if you have had luck with them. I would take a look at RE audio though as you can get them for near as cheep and they are a much better product.
www.reaudio.com
i will take ur expertise and opinion into thought...
Old 02-10-2007, 09:28 PM

ya re-audio FTW! i just picked me up a second 12" mx thursday
Old 02-10-2007, 10:16 PM

audiobahn are overrated like hell lol jl ftw actually im picking up some infinity kappa perfects im getting them for a **** good of a price its either that or jbl

just for a good price
i would rather have 4 8"jls after running them through a nice test

Last edited by rickyw; 02-10-2007 at 10:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 02-11-2007, 01:03 AM

Well, my Kicker keeps blowing fuses. I'm trying to figure it out but it's cold out and dark, I'll probably check into it more tomorrow. It's like I put a fuse in and instant blow. So I hope it's a wiring problem and not an internal problem on the amp.

Also My friend was telling me about the "/" series and they sounded interesting. You say JL underates, so what would be a good amp for the sub? I'm also going to get a new enclosure since I had to cheap out and get the $30 walmart build your own, but I did add my own caulk and caulked the hell out of it.
Old 02-11-2007, 01:17 AM

i like the zx series kicker amps but there quite costly, also i like the new ma audio amps nice cheap good quality. can you build the box your self? cause prefab boxes never bring the sub to its full potential, if youd like i could design a box for you and for your likings
Old 02-11-2007, 01:44 AM

Originally Posted by diablo2007
i like the zx series kicker amps but there quite costly, also i like the new ma audio amps nice cheap good quality. can you build the box your self? cause prefab boxes never bring the sub to its full potential, if youd like i could design a box for you and for your likings
Yeah if you could give me a design and a cut list I could build the box. PM me and I'll throw you some of my ideas...

I hope I didn't kill my Kicker yet, it'll be a few weeks before I can get another amp.
Old 02-11-2007, 07:08 AM

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
lol fi car audio over re