Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

New System questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2005, 06:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New System questions

I'm looking to put something simple but Nice to listen to in the G/f's 05 Cobalt LS (with the base radio) Currently, I have picked up a set of Infinity 6x9's model 6913i, a Infinity Basslink for the trunk, and a Alpine MRP-F240 amp (4 channel 40watts RMS) that I am going to install under her passenger seat. It's small enough to fit. I'm planning on picking up the Infinity 6 1/2" speakers for the fronts but have heard the 6 3/4" are a better fit, (maybe the 6010cs? or options for a 6 3/4?) and we have not yet decided on a head unit. But we are looking at Double Din units. Do you guys and girls think that this amp and speaker combo should be pretty good.

Anyone taken out the seats and carpet yet? Thanks for any help.
Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SS SChgd
I'm looking to put something simple but Nice to listen to in the G/f's 05 Cobalt LS (with the base radio) Currently, I have picked up a set of Infinity 6x9's model 6913i, a Infinity Basslink for the trunk, and a Alpine MRP-F240 amp (4 channel 40watts RMS) that I am going to install under her passenger seat. It's small enough to fit. I'm planning on picking up the Infinity 6 1/2" speakers for the fronts but have heard the 6 3/4" are a better fit, (maybe the 6010cs? or options for a 6 3/4?) and we have not yet decided on a head unit. But we are looking at Double Din units. Do you guys and girls think that this amp and speaker combo should be pretty good.

The 6 3/4" will be a better fit for the doors. You will have to drill 4 holes around the perimeter for the speakers to screw down as the factory speakers are held in by a clip and one screw.

I think your setup should sound pretty good. I just got the bigger brother to your F240, the F345 and I like it so far.

You may not be able to fit a double din though. Behind the lower part of the stereo is a metal bracket. This is why all of the aftermarket kits have the stereo on top and pocket on bottom - behind the upper part is a plastic piece that must often be cut(especially when using RCAs). So depending on depth of the particular radio, a double din might not be an option....
Old 12-29-2005, 12:05 AM

i like infinities speakers
but the basslink is sub-par

and taking the carpet out of the trunk is easy, just take your time
Old 12-29-2005, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by SS SChgd

I read on one of the posts where someone put in heat warmers that the seats come right out with no trouble. However, when I had the side molding popped when I was running my RCAs back, it seemed like the carpet was stuck to the floor somehow - it didn't pick right up. I didn't work at it or force it as I didn't have to to do what I was doing, but its something for you to keep in mind....
Old 12-29-2005, 11:13 PM

i took my seat out to mount the brain for my DVD/NAV system. its only two screws on the back, at least the RECARROS are like that. then the carpet just pulled right up. the only thing is, bandit, that from the side the carpet wont pull up b/c its folded over right there, and the seat can also hold it back.
Old 12-29-2005, 11:31 PM

thanks for all the info. I think were going to end up going with a single DIN and we will do soemthing fancy with the Pocket to make it look nice. I'll take some pics when I do it. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2006, 10:28 PM

You may not be able to fit a double din though. Behind the lower part of the stereo is a metal bracket. This is why all of the aftermarket kits have the stereo on top and pocket on bottom - behind the upper part is a plastic piece that must often be cut(especially when using RCAs). So depending on depth of the particular radio, a double din might not be an option....[/QUOTE]

does this mean that if I cut a piece off the back I can fit my new deck flush to the dash, instead of the way I have it now, by having to use the extention clip that came with the dash kit. The deck sticks out about 3/4 of an inch, but it looks OK still as the Kenwood's finishing kit is the same color as the dahs panel and trim.

anyone have a picture of where to cut to fit the deck?
Old 01-09-2006, 08:06 AM

does this mean that if I cut a piece off the back I can fit my new deck flush to the dash, instead of the way I have it now, by having to use the extention clip that came with the dash kit. The deck sticks out about 3/4 of an inch, but it looks OK still as the Kenwood's finishing kit is the same color as the dahs panel and trim.

anyone have a picture of where to cut to fit the deck?

Yeah, you can cut it out to get it to fit flush. I didn't take any pics but its totally obvious when you look back in there. You'll see the metal bracket and a plastic piece on top of it. I didn't cut mine out completely as I only needed to notch it on each side, but I'm sure you won't have problems if you do take it completely out.