Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Optima battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tazmanian_Dvl
I've gone through 6 red tops in the last 4 years in my Camaro. If they weren't replacing them under warranty I would be getting an Interstate...
Sounds like you were having a problem with your alternator not holding up to the task of keeping your battery charged. I can't even imagine going through batteries that quickly.

Personally, I've had prostart gold(pepboys), everstart (walmart), and energizer. All of these batteries lasted only about 2 years. My optima red top has lasted 4 1/2 years (still running) and surpassed its 3 year warranty without needing a single jump. On top of that I've jumped two cars with it. I'm a completely satisfied customer. I bought it at Sears for $130.

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
never gonna happen. they are decent batteries but the failure rate is too high. GM doesnt have the cash to pay for batteries every year or for all that shipping of the lead and all that crap
100% false. GM isn't going spend the money on premium battery for cheap economy car. It's a simple as that. They source out the cheapest company that will provide them a battery per their specs (size, placement, power,etc.). The battery under the hood doesn't determine the sale of a vehicle no point in waisting money in that area.

Last edited by iamslow; 10-22-2008 at 12:58 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-22-2008, 01:02 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
hence them being "ac delco" they make it themselves. but u get my point
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by iamslow
Sounds like you were having a problem with your alternator not holding up to the task of keeping your battery charged. I can't even imagine going through batteries that quickly.

Personally, I've had prostart gold(pepboys), everstart (walmart), and energizer. All of these batteries lasted only about 2 years. My optima red top has lasted 4 1/2 years (still running) and surpassed its 3 year warranty without needing a single jump. On top of that I've jumped two cars with it. I'm a completely satisfied customer. I bought it at Sears for $130.
Hows come every other battery I've put in there I've never had a problem with? I've swapped in a Diehard and an AC Delco just to try and eliminate the problem and never had an issue. The red top is the only one I had an issue with...
Old 10-22-2008, 03:33 PM

Well I never expected this thread to get this much attention...but since it has I guess I'll add my input.
I went with the red top after about the 10th post lol.
So now after about 3 months and heavy load from my stereo I've experienced no problems whatsoever.
Maybe I've been lucky but I'm liking it.
I will however switch to a higher end battery when I upgrade my stereo further.
Old 10-22-2008, 04:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Up until recently I had a red top in my car.
I had no problems with it at all.
The only reaSON i replaced it wa it could not handle the load my stereo was pulling off of it, my lights were like Stu's Disco Inferno.
I just swapped it for a Kinetik 1800
Old 10-22-2008, 04:45 PM

can anyone see a problem with putting in a redtop in an ss/tc?? I personally can't see why there would be any single problem watsoever but if anyone can come up with a reasonable idea as to why a redtop would cause any problems speak up pls
Old 10-22-2008, 05:11 PM

IMO it's not that it would cause a problem with the car it's that the battery in my experience is very unreliable...
Old 10-22-2008, 05:15 PM

IMO it's not that it would cause a problem with the car it's that the battery in my experience is very unreliable...
vs stock battery?

I had this redtop in my last car for about 6 months with zero issues
Old 10-22-2008, 07:27 PM

the stock battery has been in my car for 2 1/2 years and I've never had a problem VS the red top in my Camaro that I've had like 6 in the last 4 years
Old 10-22-2008, 08:14 PM

the stock battery has been in my car for 2 1/2 years and I've never had a problem VS the red top in my Camaro that I've had like 6 in the last 4 years
ever think it was the camaro?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:38 PM

tried a differant battery twice for a few months and neither of them had issues...
Old 10-28-2008, 04:38 PM

Hows come every other battery I've put in there I've never had a problem with? I've swapped in a Diehard and an AC Delco just to try and eliminate the problem and never had an issue. The red top is the only one I had an issue with...
The charging system of the car is what keeps the battery prepared for the next start up. If your alt is not doing its job the battery will eventually die.

tried a differant battery twice for a few months and neither of them had issues...
Wait for a few years then come back. According to your statistics the optima's lasted 6+ months on average. Which is more than the few months of testing you did on these two. I still don't quite understand because I would've went to a different brand (even though almost all of them are from the same company) after the second replacement not the 6th! Why would you try 2 different brands? If one works why try another the only difference between them are the stickers? So you goofed around with 8 batteries when I have 1 that I still haven't touched.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my Red Top and I have had it for about 7-8 months. The main reason I got it was so I didn't have to worry about battery acid eating through the trunk in case i got a leak.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM

the red tops are for cranking power... the yellow tops are for accessories...
Old 10-28-2008, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by iamslow
Wait for a few years then come back. According to your statistics the optima's lasted 6+ months on average. Which is more than the few months of testing you did on these two. I still don't quite understand because I would've went to a different brand (even though almost all of them are from the same company) after the second replacement not the 6th! Why would you try 2 different brands? If one works why try another the only difference between them are the stickers? So you goofed around with 8 batteries when I have 1 that I still haven't touched.
I tried continually get the red tops because they are replacing them under warranty. i tried the other batteries because I have a friend that's a mechanic and he had them laying around. I kept the one in for an entire year without any issues (I was trying to eliminate the charging system as the source of the problem like you stated above) i switched back to the Red Top and I'll be damned if it didn't **** the bed after a few months.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:32 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
fyi either battery is too tall for the wheel well anyway. So unless your moving it the carpet is gonna stuck up in the back
Old 10-28-2008, 09:36 PM

Yea I got the red top because I kept hearing good things about them and I've had nothing but problems and for $160 I'm gonna keep letting them replace it until they tell me no more. It's just frustrating...
i have had the same problems with my red top,im on number 3 in the last year but as long as im getting a new one for free i dont care.
Old 12-22-2008, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
fyi either battery is too tall for the wheel well anyway. So unless your moving it the carpet is gonna stuck up in the back
I just put in my Yellow Top today, my battery needed its second jump today and Im pretty physced. The carpet is a little higher though, but I dont care, no big deal. Even with my two amps bumping they still read 15.4 volts. Woohoo Yellow Top!
Old 03-28-2009, 07:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The stock battery is a BCI Group 90 while the Optima is a BCI Group 34/78. The difference s the Group 34 is slightly longer, about an inch taller, and slightly wider.

The spiral cells are an inferior design. The voids in between the spiral cells are a waste of space, and the AGM technology has been demonstrated to perform poorly in cold weather. They also require a special charging algorithm that differs greatly from that provided by standard voltage regulators designed for flooded lead-acid batteries.

Has anyone considered using some type of battery enclosure to prevent spilled acid from reaching the car body? That is about the only reason why I would want a AGM battery (the VRLA sealed technology is very clean) anyhow.