Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Ordered everything tonight! Couple of Questions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 03:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed everything!!

The grand total came to a little under $700

Here's what I ordered.

JVC KW-AVX810

Sony XSGTX1640

Kicker 08zx400.1

Kicker CompVR 124

Here's what I got:

4 awg rockford fosgate wiring kit

12in 3/4 mdf black carpet enclosure

40sq ft of dynamat

XSVI-2103 harness.

Ok now a few questions?

I plan on running my ipod into the glovebox since the jvc has ipod control. Is that pretty straight forward or a PITA?

Which way should I point the sub? Into the cabin or towards the back of the trunk.

and most importantly.

Please for the love of everything that is holy someone tell me how to stop my rear deck cover from vibrating like a mexican jumping bean in a matchbox.

Last edited by mikelpn; 07-23-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-18-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikelpn
The grand total came to a little under $700

I plan on running my ipod into the glovebox since the jvc has ipod control. Is that pretty straight forward or a PITA?

Which way should I point the sub? Into the cabin or towards the back of the trunk.

and most importantly.

Please for the love of everything that is holy someone tell me how to stop my rear deck cover from vibrating like a mexican jumping bean in a matchbox.
pretty straight forward....hardest part would be routing the cable to the glove box from behind the dash

pointing towards the back of the trunk will make it sound louder.

thats the very back edge (right up against the back window) of the deck slapping up against the metal whenever the bass hits (even does it because of 6x9's)

what i did was took some damplifier pro (you can use towels or even foam) and lined the very back edge of the metal, so the actual deck that goes over the speakers would be propped up and wouldnt be able to jump up and down
Old 07-18-2009, 05:37 PM

You also might want to stuff some foam or similar material in the holes around the back corners of the windows, to prevent the air from coming up with much force.
Lay mat of some sort on BOTH sides of the deck lid
Old 07-21-2009, 06:05 PM

So, the nice people at UPS brought me stuff today and in a little bit of suckitude it's a downpour for the rest of the evening but it's all good! hopefully tomorrow will be nicer!

One more question. Can I just mount my amp to the back of my seats?

Last edited by mikelpn; 07-21-2009 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-21-2009, 06:10 PM

So, the nice people at UPS brought me stuff today and in a little bit of suckitude it's a downpour for the rest of the evening but it's all good! hopefully tomorrow will be nicer!

One more question. Can I just mount my amp to the back of my seats?
yea most people put it on the back seat
Old 07-23-2009, 01:29 AM

Ok, first that install was a biiiiiitch! I did okay but I have a few more questions.

1. I used the XSVI-2103 but for some reason the deck wouldnt turn on. It would when I opened or closed it but nothing else. I ended up running the red wire from the deck to the yellow wire. It work but I have tur turn it on and off manually.

2. The JVC has some serious clearance issues. I have the metra double din bracket but I may have to shave it down alot for it to work correctly

3. I've got some wicked dimming issues but with vaca coming shortly I'm sol till after then.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:32 AM

dimming with 400 wt?

hmmm are you running any other power hungry things?

and post pics asap!!
Old 07-23-2009, 03:04 AM

Well I have an amp, radar, phone charger. I noticed it kind of subsided after the initial dimming. I'll post pics real soon probably tomorrow. I ended up cutting a few millimeters off the bracket with a little bit of help it clears I'll **** with it some more tomorrow.

ok, took another spin. At 3am I'm sure people were pleased. I have some dimming for sure. I wonder if it's from testing the car all afternoon without it running?

Last edited by mikelpn; 07-23-2009 at 03:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 07-23-2009, 05:15 AM

im guessing your on the stock battery but yea your generally not suppose to thump for a while with the car off cause it drains the battery and since the car isnt on the alt wont recharge the batt.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Ok, first that install was a biiiiiitch! I did okay but I have a few more questions.

1. I used the XSVI-2103 but for some reason the deck wouldnt turn on. It would when I opened or closed it but nothing else. I ended up running the red wire from the deck to the yellow wire. It work but I have tur turn it on and off manually.
2. The JVC has some serious clearance issues. I have the metra double din bracket but I may have to shave it down alot for it to work correctly

3. I've got some wicked dimming issues but with vaca coming shortly I'm sol till after then.
Use a fuse tap and run a power wire from a fuse that has RAP (sunroof seems to be the popular choice)
Don't forget now that you have amps running if you forget to turn the HU off, the amps will stay running as well. This will not sit well with your battery. I think Cobalts have battery run down protection, however I don't know if it would turn the HU off, the RAP would normally take care of that,