Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

ported or sealed

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 05:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ported or sealed

so i just got 2 JL W1 12's in a sealed box being run by a JBL 700watt amp and i have a pioneer head unit, the thing is i need more bass like its loud but for some reason i need more would gettting a ported/vented box do that????
Old 05-06-2008, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yes it will make it louder, but make sure the box is built to the spec of the sub and not just a generic box. also it will lose it's clearity when it is in a ported/vented box
Old 05-06-2008, 05:35 PM

ported = loud and sloppy

vented = between ported and sealed

sealed = less loud, more crisp/clean
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 PM

so if i get cartoys to build me a custom vented box it will sound louder/hit harder? anyone know what that will cost
Old 05-06-2008, 06:09 PM

i prefer sealed boxes. tighter cleaner bass
Old 05-06-2008, 06:19 PM

i prefer ported, you can really feel the lows...but def make sure the box IS made to the specs of your subs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-06-2008, 06:23 PM

i always go with ported unless its a complete SQ system.i'm more about the BUMP though.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:32 PM
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlackSS182
so if i get cartoys to build me a custom vented box it will sound louder/hit harder? anyone know what that will cost
yes just about any custom audio shops (even the low end ones) can build you one, or if it comes with a manual or an online file to download with the specs for different boxes, you could buuild it yourself.

BTW i do custom fiberglass work and can make any box size people need and it will be build to the specs of whatever sub you choose so if anyone is interested let me know and i'll see what i can do
Old 05-06-2008, 11:17 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by bgbearcatfan
ported = loud and sloppy

vented = between ported and sealed

sealed = less loud, more crisp/clean
vented is a ported box... just different word

oh and a custom ported box doesn't sound bad its really the crappy ones that give it the name for bad sound. but sealed is usually cleaner/tighter

have someone build u a custom ported box and be happy

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 05-06-2008 at 11:17 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-07-2008, 03:00 PM

it seemed that ported was usually referneced to boxes with the curcular cut out design, which seemed to me to produce a difference sound than what i was referring to as "vented" or rectangular slotted box. guess im just retarded
Old 05-07-2008, 03:01 PM

Porting will always give you power, sealed will give you quality. Its your pick....
Old 05-07-2008, 04:15 PM

i love sealed boxes.. better sound quality
Old 05-07-2008, 08:42 PM

sealed- better SQ
ported-more bump
Old 05-07-2008, 09:35 PM

mmmmm I feel I gotta jump in on this.....

Sealed boxes don't have the FOLLOW THRU. The initial thump on them is what they are best at.

Ported boxes have FOLLOW THRU. A long bass note will come out much better in one of these style boxes.

Bandpass boxes are completely ******* useless unless you just wanna have bassy bass bass with no sound quality.

Personally, after having used and observed all the above boxes, I'll never go sealed or bandpass again.

Ported FTW.
Old 05-07-2008, 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by warrenb213
mmmmm I feel I gotta jump in on this.....

Sealed boxes don't have the FOLLOW THRU. The initial thump on them is what they are best at.

Ported boxes have FOLLOW THRU. A long bass note will come out much better in one of these style boxes.

Bandpass boxes are completely ******* useless unless you just wanna have bassy bass bass with no sound quality.

Personally, after having used and observed all the above boxes, I'll never go sealed or bandpass again.

Ported FTW.
for shizzle
Old 05-07-2008, 10:15 PM

One thing to remember about ported (and bandpass as well) boxes is that they are tuned for a certain freq by design and do not give you even bass across the speakers freq range. So if you have one tuned for 50hz, it will not be as loud as a good sealed box at the higher end of its range.

Did you fill your sealed box? That will make it louder as well. Also, a sub in a sealed box can normally handle more power than in a ported or bandpass box.

And not to be a dick, but a sealed is the only box that will accurately reproduce the music being played. If it is a long steady bass note, the sealed will play it just fine. Sealed will also have not require you to use an extremely narrow filter range and high boost in that range, since it will play everthing in the speakers supported range fine. So if you listen to music other than rap which doesn't normally drop below 100hz, the sealed will sound a hell of a lot better.
Old 05-08-2008, 01:33 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
lol its so funny the crap in this thread. Warren have u ever had a box built and designed for a certain speaker? Unless you go do that then there is no way you can accurately judge a box.

Originally Posted by bgbearcatfan
it seemed that ported was usually referneced to boxes with the curcular cut out design, which seemed to me to produce a difference sound than what i was referring to as "vented" or rectangular slotted box. guess im just retarded
not really just confused. lol i know exactly why u made the statement of the slotted boxes sounding better then the circular ones. if u notice most slotted boxes have much bigger surface area then the circular ones... When u tune a box it doesn't matter how big the ports generally are because u can always tune it to the correct freq using several sizes BUT the smaller you get what is called port noise. Meaning the air traveling out of the box is moving so fast it makes a whistling noise. If i remember correctly when Jranger was looking at porting his box using 4" areo ports 2 of them was 7" per port and a single was 2" long. Using both of them would be perfectly fine and using one would create tons of port noise... yet they would physically be "tuned" to the same freq so if there was no noise they would sound exactly the same.

Oh and the shop i work at makes at least 1 custom box a day with a 6 or so being the most we've done in a single day. 99% of them are ported and i guarantee they sound better then what most people have herd. Problem is most ported boxes are just built however and really aren't designed. Port noise and wrong tuning are very prevalent (even on boxes built by speaker manufactures so don't think getting those keeps u in the clear either) Ive been to a "shop" that builds speaker boxes and they stated they barely started "designing" SOME of their boxes... meaning before a few months ago they built ported boxes by just putting 2 pieces of wood to a random length and bam all done. They make ~20 boxes a day and they all sell. So not only are these not built to a specific subwoofer they aren't tuned at all. I wonder why people think ported boxes sound like ass

Last edited by EmperorJJ1; 05-08-2008 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-08-2008, 01:42 AM

dont get ported its a sealed trunk not open air like a suv sealed works better in a closed trunk option....
Old 05-08-2008, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by InfinityzeN
One thing to remember about ported (and bandpass as well) boxes is that they are tuned for a certain freq by design and do not give you even bass across the speakers freq range. So if you have one tuned for 50hz, it will not be as loud as a good sealed box at the higher end of its range.

Did you fill your sealed box? That will make it louder as well. Also, a sub in a sealed box can normally handle more power than in a ported or bandpass box.

And not to be a dick, but a sealed is the only box that will accurately reproduce the music being played. If it is a long steady bass note, the sealed will play it just fine. Sealed will also have not require you to use an extremely narrow filter range and high boost in that range, since it will play everthing in the speakers supported range fine. So if you listen to music other than rap which doesn't normally drop below 100hz, the sealed will sound a hell of a lot better.
QFT!!!
Old 05-08-2008, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol its so funny the crap in this thread. Warren have u ever had a box built and designed for a certain speaker? Unless you go do that then there is no way you can accurately judge a box.

not really just confused. lol i know exactly why u made the statement of the slotted boxes sounding better then the circular ones. if u notice most slotted boxes have much bigger surface area then the circular ones... When u tune a box it doesn't matter how big the ports generally are because u can always tune it to the correct freq using several sizes BUT the smaller you get what is called port noise. Meaning the air traveling out of the box is moving so fast it makes a whistling noise. If i remember correctly when Jranger was looking at porting his box using 4" areo ports 2 of them was 7" per port and a single was 2" long. Using both of them would be perfectly fine and using one would create tons of port noise... yet they would physically be "tuned" to the same freq so if there was no noise they would sound exactly the same.

Oh and the shop i work at makes at least 1 custom box a day with a 6 or so being the most we've done in a single day. 99% of them are ported and i guarantee they sound better then what most people have herd. Problem is most ported boxes are just built however and really aren't designed. Port noise and wrong tuning are very prevalent (even on boxes built by speaker manufactures so don't think getting those keeps u in the clear either) Ive been to a "shop" that builds speaker boxes and they stated they barely started "designing" SOME of their boxes... meaning before a few months ago they built ported boxes by just putting 2 pieces of wood to a random length and bam all done. They make ~20 boxes a day and they all sell. So not only are these not built to a specific subwoofer they aren't tuned at all. I wonder why people think ported boxes sound like ass

thanks for the clarification man.