Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Problems with fog light wiring!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with fog light wiring!

I ordered an universal fog light harness from eBay pretty complete brought all I need. But I ran into some problems.

Okay here's how I wired it.

Switch:
-positive -> spliced into 12v cig lighter power
-negative -> spliced into 12v cig lighter ground

Then it runs a white wire that goes to the relay in the engine bay.

From the relay I grounded to the chassis, positive straight to the battery terminal positive.

And from there I have 2 wires (white/black) for each fog light, positive and ground. The ground ends up in the chassis, positive comes from the battery.

Now... My switch lights up, and you can also hear clicking in the relay. In my opinion the switch part is not the problem.

So I turned on my switch and tried hooking 1 fog light to test if it would turn on, but instead the relay starts vibrating and making noise, light doesn't light up. Then just to test I got a LED strip (since they require little power) and hooked to the fog light positive/negative and it lights up and the relay doesn't make any noise.

In my opinion the relay is working to give power to the fog lamps but it doesn't have enough power to light them up. Not sure what the problem is.

I checked many fog light diagrams and some have the switch hooked straight to the battery terminal but my diagram says to just hook it to any 12v source. And the switch works perfectly as I said. Why aren't the lamps lighting up?

Please help!
Old 05-21-2013, 11:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wiring straight to the battery is always better than tapping into an exsisting source especially in your situation. You don't want to put extra strain on your exsisting wiring if you don't have to. Your problem seems like a bad ground though. I'd wire relay/switch straight to battery and check your grounds at the lights.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Joe22
Wiring straight to the battery is always better than tapping into an exsisting source especially in your situation. You don't want to put extra strain on your exsisting wiring if you don't have to. Your problem seems like a bad ground though. I'd wire relay/switch straight to battery and check your grounds at the lights.
That might be the issue. I'm gonna wire the switch straight to the power terminal and ground it the same way.

Btw this is what I'm using as a ground point, there's a sticker in it that says it's "GND (-)"

Right under that bolt, I unscrewed it and put the wire right under it then tightened it.

The lights have 2 wires running together, positive, and negative. And the negative runs all the way to the relay, and from the relay I grounded it. The lights have a common ground, they're not individually grounded. Even though I did try to ground the light I was testing individually and the relay made noise but didn't light up either.

Edit: Link to the kit I bought + diagram;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-WIRING-HARNESS-WIRE-SWITCH-KIT-HID-OFF-ROAD-LIGHTS-4X4-TRUCK-FOG-LAMPS-/400488786566?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d3efdea86&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dieGone; 05-21-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:12 AM

Okay just re-wired everything switch to battery terminal, and grounded in 2 diff bolts.

It works like a charm now, no relay noise, light turns on and off. Only thing I noticed after I had the light on for about 1-2 minutes I saw smoke coming out of it. Pretty scary. Do you have an idea of what could have caused that? Or maybe it's normal?

Edit: Just looked it up, apparently if you touch them or they have any type of "oil" in them it can cause them to wear out faster and die lol, the bulb was moved around a lot so maybe that's the reason. I'll just get a new one if it dies.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:42 AM

Whats bulbs and housing are you using? Ya you never want to touch yours bulbs with your fingers and get oil on them. Especially HID's you don't want anything to touch them.
Old 05-22-2013, 12:49 AM

Whats bulbs and housing are you using? Ya you never want to touch yours bulbs with your fingers and get oil on them. Especially HID's you don't want anything to touch them.
Stock H11 bulbs, stock fog lights. I have a base Cobalt so it didn't come prewired. I have the SS bumper and bought the fogs that came with bulbs. Also had to get the connectors. Now it's all set. I'm gonna have the halogen for now, I'll upgrade to HIDs later on. I need to get a kit for my headlights first lol

Thanks a lot for your help man!
Old 05-22-2013, 12:58 AM

Oh cool ya halogens H11.. Burnt a little oil off, shorten life a little bit oh well lol. Should be good for longer than it takes you to get tired of them and want HID's lol. No prob man glad I could help and it turning out to be an easy fix!
Old 05-22-2013, 01:00 AM

Oh cool ya halogens H11.. Burnt a little oil off, shorten life a little bit oh well lol. Should be good for longer than it takes you to get tired of them and want HID's lol. No prob man glad I could help and it turning out to be an easy fix!
Yeah, glad it worked. Can't wait to see how they look like tomorrow! Next step, buy a better looking switch and replacing the one I have now.