Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Question about putting hids in projectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 03:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about putting hids in projectors

ok so im just a little confused, i know with our stock headlights, the 9007 hids bulbs come with the adapter plug running from the bulb that plugs into the factory connector.... ok so on the projectors, it has the plug on a harness, for both the high and lo beams, so my question, is , do the h1 bulbs come with the connector off of the Hid Bulb, just like the 9007, and if so does that mean u just connect it to the factory plug and bypass the connector on the projectors ?? just wondering before i order hids soon... kinda confused about that
Old 07-10-2009, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The hid bulb connects to the output of the ballast, the factory harness connects to the input of the ballast.

Best result is with a relay harness kit (3bspec.com seems to be the popular choice), will keep you from roasting your factory wire harness.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:50 PM

You order the HID kit for the connectors that your housings use, not what your car came with stock.

You cannot bypass the connector on the projectors entirely since this will leave you without marker lights.

So yeah, just get a H1 kit (Depending on which you have), and you plug the ballast's power feed into where you would normally connect the prongs for the halogen H1 bulbs.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:56 AM

so will my old ballasts from my stock setup work with just buying h1 bulbs or will i need a whole new kit
Old 07-12-2009, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by bboyfreeflow
so will my old ballasts from my stock setup work with just buying h1 bulbs or will i need a whole new kit
Buy the H1 bulbs, and then rewire the power connectors to work with the H1 sockets (These are simple blade connectors... so you can easily get the crimp on blade connectors at walmart or autozone for very cheap).
Old 07-13-2009, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Nighthawk243
You order the HID kit for the connectors that your housings use, not what your car came with stock.

You cannot bypass the connector on the projectors entirely since this will leave you without marker lights.

So yeah, just get a H1 kit (Depending on which you have), and you plug the ballast's power feed into where you would normally connect the prongs for the halogen H1 bulbs.
This is wrong!!
The markers have a seperate plug
The blue plug that comes off your car is a 9007, thats the kit you need.
The HID bulbs themselves only have little tiny connectors on them, plus they plug directley into the ballast so it don't make a difference. Your ballasts need to be able to connect to a 9007 plug (into the car) in order to interface with the car. The king of bulb you get is only determained by what fits into the housing, not by the plug

If you get genereation 2 projectors you need H7 bulbs for the lows, all the other projectors take H1's.
What you want is a 9007 kit with the relay, and then depending on what projectors you have either H1, or H7 bulbs.
BTW- If you want a bi-xenon kit (hi/lo) get retrofited lights and a 9007 bi xenon kit, I just riped my gen 2 projectors w/hids out and put these in and what a difference
Sorry for the spelling I'm late for work, no time to look at what I'm typing
Old 07-13-2009, 01:55 PM

ok lol confused so i can do it with h1 bulbs and my 9007 ballasts and also get a 9007 relay ? correct????
Old 07-13-2009, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spun
This is wrong!!
The markers have a seperate plug
The blue plug that comes off your car is a 9007, thats the kit you need.
The HID bulbs themselves only have little tiny connectors on them, plus they plug directley into the ballast so it don't make a difference. Your ballasts need to be able to connect to a 9007 plug (into the car) in order to interface with the car. The king of bulb you get is only determained by what fits into the housing, not by the plug

If you get genereation 2 projectors you need H7 bulbs for the lows, all the other projectors take H1's.
What you want is a 9007 kit with the relay, and then depending on what projectors you have either H1, or H7 bulbs.
BTW- If you want a bi-xenon kit (hi/lo) get retrofited lights and a 9007 bi xenon kit, I just riped my gen 2 projectors w/hids out and put these in and what a difference
Sorry for the spelling I'm late for work, no time to look at what I'm typing
Dude you just confused him even more. You DO NOT need to buy a mixed bag of parts for HIDs like you just said.

Buy an HID kit for whatever projector style you have. If you have Gen 1 or 3, get H1, gen 2, get H7. The headlights themselves already come with the proper adapters to convert the 9007 plug on the car to H1 or H7 bulbs in the projectors. The HID kit then uses those connections to function. It has nothing to do with what the car came with. My car came stock with the 9007 bulbs (obviously) but I bought an HID kit strictly for H1 bulbs.

If you already have a kit for 9007, you have to get power to the ballast. You can buy different HID bulbs and they'll plug right in. You just have to manage to get power to the ballast to make it all work.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:53 AM

^^^^
When you buy a kit, it gives you the choice of what size bulb you want and what temp bulb you want (6000k, 8000k, ect)
There's no need to buy seperate items, it should all come in one kit.

You do not buy a HID hit for the bulbs that are in your projectors, by kit I mean wire, relay harness. If you were to buy an H1 kit it would have the wrong end plug on it, there would be no way to plug it in to stock wire harness (blue round one) which is a 9007 plug.
Like I said since the bulbs plug into the ballast directly, weather they are 9007,H1, H11,H4, on an HID kit the connectors that come off the bulb itself are all the same, but the piece that plugs into your stock headlights right now needs to plug into the relay harness, which needs to have a 9007 connector on the end of it.
You can buy it in 2 seperate pieces,or buy from a place that lets you mix and match. If your confused about it try and find a local shop that sells them, so you can comunicate what you want a little bit better

I realize now that the above poster is talking about a non relayed harness, I wouldn't do this if I were you but its a free world, but relayed is the only way to go IMO.

BTW- Gen 2's get all there power from the square connector that has the parking lights and everything in it, so they don't come with the 9007 connector on them.
I had to hack the one from my gen 3's (spider web cracks got the better of them) into the wires on the gen 2
Old 07-14-2009, 08:04 AM

You do realize that you can buy a relay harness for different bulb types other than stock right? You're getting too picky with this stuff. Using my car as an example again, it came with 9007 bulbs in the stock lights, like everyone else's car. I bought third gen projectors, which use H1 bulbs. When I bought my HID kits for the lowbeams and foglights, I bought the kits for H1 and H11, relays or not. Had I bought a harness for a 9007 it would have been useless to me. The projector lights have the adapters for the headlights already on them to convert the big blue 9007 plug into separate plugs for the H1 (or H7 for second gens) bulbs the projectors use. Using a 9007 harness would leave wires dangling on the back of the headlight. I just don't see why you're against doing something the easier way.
Old 07-14-2009, 02:49 PM

Cuz not all projectors come with the blue plug.
Its not that I'm against it but if you say you can buy just the blue plug then thats fine, I'm trying to discourage the OP and anyone else away from getting the non-relayed harness.
It will onlly lead to problems down the road