Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Question..wha should i do?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
not if there is no smaller battery... if there are only 2 optimas and no stock battery it would run best in parallel because there would be no voltage drop at the isolator
Old 05-30-2007, 05:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You're absolutely right. But now you're talking about buying two Optima batteries. The OP asked if adding another battery will fix his light dimming issues. Then he mentioned...."
i think i might go with that since it is cheaper than the yellowtop battery"

Adding another, less expensive battery will work fine, but only if an isolator is used. Isolating the two circuits from each other will solve the problem.

Black06SSNA tried to imply that just adding another battery and hooking the stereo to it will solve the problem...
" Just leave your first battery hooked like normal, and use your new battery to run your amps."

It doesn't work that way. The second battery, without an isolator, will still draw it's power from the main circuit of the car, over tax the alt., drain the main battery, and the headlights will still dim when the bass hits. They may not dim as bad, but they'll still dim down.

OP,

Even if you don't go with an Optima, I'd still use a sealed deep cycle battery. It'll work much better for those times you want to listen to the stereo with the car off.

Another option is to run the solenoid type setup found here.

This page should help answer a lot of questions.

http://www.bcae1.com/battiso.htm

Upon further review and research I found another possible alternative.

A battery separator.

http://www.rvpartscenter.com/Product...=131&CategoryI

I don't know how well that would work for letting the stereo play with the car off though. I may have to look into that also.

It seems that battery separator is much easier to install, is self switching, and would just fit the application better than an isolator.

Last edited by aj_92rs; 05-30-2007 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 05-31-2007, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok so the only way an isolator would work would b if i had 2 batteries then? and ur saying that the battery separator is better than the isolator right?....but thnks alot aj for clearing all that up for me..probably installing the battery separator and the optima battery..and would you recommend the red or yellow top battery (dont really kno the difference)?