Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Questions about deck install

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about deck install

Argh I have a headache from reading all these threads. I want to see if I understand this all.

I have a 07 SS/SC and I want to install a Avic F700BT. I want to keep the stock speakers and amp, however I do have an aftermarket sub with amp.

If I use the standard Metra harness I will loose all chimes including the signals (blinkers).

If I use the GM LAN 04 the chime audio is overly loud and intrusive, not to mention expensive.

I can install a small speaker to the LAN under the dash to keep the chimes at a reasonable level. But in order to do this I need to install an aftermarket amp for the front speakers.

To top it all off I cannot find anyone in the Calgary area that sells Metra harnesses, only AI and Scosche.

I can live without the door chimes, but I cannot live without the signal tick. What are my options to accomplish this? Can I power the front speakers from the new head unit?

When the hell did installs become this damn complicated?
Old 02-23-2009, 04:00 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
yes you can do an amp bypass and run the stock speakers off the HU. it still isnt super easy because you would need a crossover if you wanted to keep the tweeters
Old 02-23-2009, 10:14 AM

By using the LAn you can keep the chimes and blinkers...the door chime will be loud, but the LAN has a jumper plug that you can adjust in addition to the volume control that will bring the door chime volume down to a respectable level...Even stock my car's door chimes were loud so the issue was nothing new for me...For my HU (keep in mind that mine was a different model), you had seperate outputs for the sub so hooking the LAN into the factory speakers/amp would have been extremely easy and running the sub and aftermarket amp would have been much simplier than what I ended up doing...as it is I ended up getting rid of my factory speakers altogether....

Make sure that when you read threads that you can distinguish between those of us that kept the factory speakers/amp and which ones replaced everything...the install is much more difficult if you end up changing things out (significantly different)... however, there are still a few threads out there which discuss installing a new HU on the factory system with a sub change...

I will help where I can...I was pretty green myself when I replaced mine and ended up learning a lot through trial and error...I would also recommend keeping in contact with EmperorJJ1 as well...he pointed me in the right direction when I got stuck...
Old 02-23-2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks Everyone!

Well we will see what happens. I have ordered this:

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+-+GM22SR.html

I will update again when I have it installed. I dont know if anyone has tried this.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM

should work. let me know and i edit the FAQ
Old 03-06-2009, 09:08 PM

Ok so I got the GM22SR in the mail and installed it. nothing worked when I installed it originally.

The head unit powered on, but there was no audio, No audio through the LAN and I was getting "---------" on my DIC.

I had to almost completely repin the harness

First moving the Green, Purple, white and Grey wires to where they should be, still no sound but the DIC worked properly.

There was a black (ground) wire where the amp turn on was, so I had to move that to an unoccupied spot, then put the Blue/White (Turn on) wire in its place. Finally we had sound.

Then I had to move the Pink (GM LAN) wire to where it needed to be. Finally everything seems to be working as intended.

The sound of the chimes is a good level, however the blinkers are a bit quite.

Over all the GM22SR is a good unit, but it was a little frustrating to install, and anyone new to car stereos should avoid this unit.

I will update later the pinouts when I was done.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:51 PM

that sucks man... ya let me know the pin outs.... i really need to update the faq (which i no longer can) because im starting to find out they now have a saturn harness with completely different pinouts but is the same plug. Sadly i think that GM22SR was one of them
Old 03-09-2009, 11:22 PM

Here are the pin outs I used:

UQ3 (2007 /w Pioneer) Head Unit
Pin #
Wire color
Function

Connector 1

Yellow
Battery Positive

2-3 NOT USED

White/Black