Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Questions about new H/U

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 12:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Questions about new H/U

Hey guys, Im new here and I've been reading through pretty much every thread, geez it can get pretty confusing. I got a 05 LS Cobalt in Arrival Blue the other week (god is it sexy). Now I really want to replace my audio system. Ive been reading about harneses etc and I just wanna get the clear story. If it helps to be specific, this is the h/U i want to install.

Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP6800MP?vq_id=none

I dont have onstar so I know I dont need the extremely expensive harness for that crap. But I deff wont loose anything else right? (I dont have XM, just the Mp3 cd with the standard crap speakers)

Can someone link me to everything ill need to install just the headunit? Like the harness etc? I want to order everything online. Down the line I plan on installing some new Alpine speaks, the fronts are 6 1/2 and the rears are 6 9 right? I've never installed car audio before, this is my first car, however im pretty good with electronics, I'm 17 and a computer techinican (not for the geek squad =P) I really apreciate any help you guys can give me, I can gurantee you guys will be seeing alot of me around here...

MAJOR QUESTION: Does replacing the H/u and speakers void my warranty at all? I saw that other thread saying it dosent, but I just want to make sure GM wont get pissed and void my whole warranty because I had it replaced.
Old 08-03-2006, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Hey guys, Im new here and I've been reading through pretty much every thread, geez it can get pretty confusing. I got a 05 LS Cobalt in Arrival Blue the other week (god is it sexy). Now I really want to replace my audio system. Ive been reading about harneses etc and I just wanna get the clear story. If it helps to be specific, this is the h/U i want to install.

Pioneer DEH-P6800MP
http://www.cardomain.com/item/PIODEHP6800MP?vq_id=none

I dont have onstar so I know I dont need the extremely expensive harness for that crap. But I deff wont loose anything else right? (I dont have XM, just the Mp3 cd with the standard crap speakers)

Can someone link me to everything ill need to install just the headunit? Like the harness etc? I want to order everything online. Down the line I plan on installing some new Alpine speaks, the fronts are 6 1/2 and the rears are 6 9 right? I've never installed car audio before, this is my first car, however im pretty good with electronics, I'm 17 and a computer techinican (not for the geek squad =P) I really apreciate any help you guys can give me, I can gurantee you guys will be seeing alot of me around here...

MAJOR QUESTION: Does replacing the H/u and speakers void my warranty at all? I saw that other thread saying it dosent, but I just want to make sure GM wont get pissed and void my whole warranty because I had it replaced.
You said you used search - you should have found all the answers to your questions there. NO, you don't need the expensive harness. NO, you will not lose things like door chimes etc. NO, it won't void your warranty.

If you want to buy everything online, I would just pick the deck up at Crutchfield since they throw in the wiring harness, dash kit, and antenna adapter you'll need. You might save a little elsewhere but by the time you pay for the things you'll need for the install it'll end up being the same, and this way you get everything from the same place and you don't have to do any guessing about what parts are right.
Old 08-03-2006, 11:56 AM

I did however some stuff dates back to like 05, and I just want to make sure that everything is still the same and get the most up to date info I can, sorry
Old 08-04-2006, 05:59 PM

hey man, that headunit looks like mine, i have the 7700 i think. but i alos have an LS go to ebay, buy the harness off of there for like $8 and then go to walmart or ebay and get the antenna adapter, oh yeah youll need the dash kit too, =eaby abother $8. but with shipping i got the harness and the dash kit for like $26, they both work perfectly. i dont believe that the radio will void your electrical warranty but it shouldnt be a problem anyhow. good luck, you will not lose any features with your car either
Old 08-04-2006, 08:26 PM

do you have steering wheel controls for the radio?
Old 08-04-2006, 09:53 PM

i have that deck in my 06 ss with the 7 speakers and all i used was the cheap stuff
Old 08-05-2006, 12:57 AM

Nope, just cruise on the wheel
Old 08-05-2006, 01:33 AM

You need parts for an 04 malibu.....a mod should sticky this once and for all or something...you need a dash kit for the 04 Malibu, Wiring Harness for the 04 Malibu (Metra part number 70-2301) and an antennae adapter u can get anywhere....than....connect wires...colour matching makes it simple...and ur done...and of course dont forget ur red power wire..wire it to w.e u want...i used a volt meter on the fuse box to check what GM labeled....use anything that gets power when u turn to ACC or has constant power as long as u never leave ur deck on by mistake...done and done..
Old 08-05-2006, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
You need parts for an 04 malibu.....a mod should sticky this once and for all or something...you need a dash kit for the 04 Malibu, Wiring Harness for the 04 Malibu (Metra part number 70-2301) and an antennae adapter u can get anywhere....than....connect wires...colour matching makes it simple...and ur done...and of course dont forget ur red power wire..wire it to w.e u want...i used a volt meter on the fuse box to check what GM labeled....use anything that gets power when u turn to ACC or has constant power as long as u never leave ur deck on by mistake...done and done..

yeh or the 05 malibu would work too
Old 08-05-2006, 08:08 AM

http://cgi.ebay.com/2005-2006-CHEVY-...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 08-05-2006, 11:41 AM

Damm 90 for some cheap plastic and some wires lol
Old 08-05-2006, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
The kits are the same for the Malibu and the Cobalt - why say you need a Malibu kit when they are clearly labelled "For Cobalt, Equinox, Malibu, and G6" etc??
Old 08-05-2006, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Damm 90 for some cheap plastic and some wires lol
That's why I suggested that you buy the deck from Crutchfield if you don't already have it
Old 08-05-2006, 05:47 PM

If i buy the headunit and all the crap on ebay will Circuit city or best buy install it for me? How much do those guys charge?
Old 08-05-2006, 06:36 PM

i thnk they will but its not cheap. its very easy if you have the adapters and stuff, just match the wire colors really. you need to run one wire to the fuse box but that simple i can show you that another time. but its about a 20 min job (if you have the right stuff, wiring harness, dash kit, antenna adapter)
Old 08-07-2006, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by xspyder85x
i thnk they will but its not cheap. its very easy if you have the adapters and stuff, just match the wire colors really. you need to run one wire to the fuse box but that simple i can show you that another time. but its about a 20 min job (if you have the right stuff, wiring harness, dash kit, antenna adapter)
Its not a 20 minute job for a beginner. I'd like to see you do it the right way in 20 minutes as well. By the time you solder all the connections and fight with the dash clips that are so tight the first time you take them apart, its going to take longer then that.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Bandit2941
The kits are the same for the Malibu and the Cobalt - why say you need a Malibu kit when they are clearly labelled "For Cobalt, Equinox, Malibu, and G6" etc??

Not all the kits state they can be used in a Cobalt, the malibu is more common, and if it had said cobalt on the label than i would ahve assumed he would have bought that since he does drive a cobalt...i was giving direction if he couldnt find one labelled cobalt..
Old 08-09-2006, 02:52 AM

most circuit city's have the dash kit in stock I know cause my store does and alot of other stores do to the harness you'll have to special order but they have a dash kit thats specifically for the cobalt get that one just go to www.metraonline.com look up u'r car right down the model numbers and have cc get it for u
Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 AM

Its not a 20 minute job for a beginner. I'd like to see you do it the right way in 20 minutes as well. By the time you solder all the connections and fight with the dash clips that are so tight the first time you take them apart, its going to take longer then that.

if you dont soder, just use electical tape or connectors then it is a quick job. if you are installing patch cables then it will take longer because you have to cut plastic. but just match the wires plug in the harness and insert the dash kit and reasemble, its that easy. the hardest part would be running the acc wire to the fuse box. but thats very easy. the kit even comes with a fuse connector.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:45 AM

I second Crutchfield.com, because I bought a head unit there for my old car (90' ford probe) and they send EVERYTHING you need, and it was very reasonable. PLUS, they send a packet of papers which are all the wireing diagrams and all the instructions to take out all panels needed to access speakers and the head unit. I didnt even buy speakers from them, but found it useful to find hidden screws when I replaced my speakers.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:16 AM

if you dont soder, just use electical tape or connectors then it is a quick job.
LOL, good luck with that electrical tape there buddy.....

For your sake I hope you tapped the proper side of the fuse you used for switched power......
Old 08-09-2006, 11:48 AM

LOL, good luck with that electrical tape there buddy.....

For your sake I hope you tapped the proper side of the fuse you used for switched power......

fortunately for me, i did soder. and yes i did use the correect side of the fuse. you act like thats not how its done.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:48 PM

fortunately for me, i did soder. and yes i did use the correect side of the fuse. you act like thats not how its done.
You act like you just twisted the wires and taped them together, when you say "if you dont soder(sic), just use electical tape or connectors then it is a quick job." That's why I said I hope for your sake you tapped the proper side of the fuse when your tape falls off and a hot wire touches a ground back there......

Which is why I said in the beginning, no way is it a 20 minute job if you're going to do it right and solder everything.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:39 PM

Oh wow, searching does wonders...

I even bought the same exact H/U.