Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Questions about Transpod

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2006, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Questions about Transpod

I recently got the Transpod FM tuner for my iPod and it works pretty decent. I would say the sound quality is about as good as an FM station reception and I haven't had any of the fading problems like other people talk of. The problem I do have is that the volume is very low when using the Transpod. Even with the volume turned all the way up, it is only about as loud as 1/2 volume from anything else (CD, XM Radio, ect). I would like to know if this is possible to fix and if anyone else is experiencing this volume difference. I know FM tuners suck, yada yada yada, but I would like to get my iPod to work without replacing the head unit yet. I also know about the inline FM Modulators that people are using, but if I am going to take my dash apart, I would rather just switch out head units. Also, are there possibly any other FM tuners that give clear sound with loud volume? The car stereo guy at Best Buy was trying to push the Monster FM tuner over the Transpod, but I got the Transpod because many people on this forum said it works well. If the Monster would work better, I think I am still within the two week return policy.

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:45 PM

i bought the belkin one for the ipod, i forget the name. it works really well.
Old 07-19-2006, 09:46 PM

the belkin tunebase**
Old 07-20-2006, 12:20 PM

I am going to return it today and start trying out others. I guess I will first try out the Monster one because the car audio guy swears by it, but if it doesn't work as well as I want, I will try out that Belkin one or others until I find one that is acceptable. I wish someone would go ahead and come out with a wiring harness that would allow direct connect. It sucks that one exists for about every other car and we are just screwed. I would just switch out head units, but I want to keep my XM radio and I have head that it is a pain in the @$$ to deal with.

Thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 03:23 PM

I bought the Monster FM transmitter for my fiance and it works great in her Trans Am. It dosn't fade nearly as much as other brands I've heard. It was kind of pricey but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:24 PM

I bought the Monster FM transmitter for my fiance and it works great in her Trans Am. It doesn't fade nearly as much as other brands I've heard. It was kind of pricey but you get what you pay for.
Old 07-27-2006, 11:14 PM

Yea right buddy, I bought the Monster one when I returned by Transpod, it was the same price $99 dollars, but it was a piece of crap. The Transpod is much better than the monster transmitter and I didn't even leave the parking lot of Best Buy before I returned it. I gave up on FM transmitters, hopefully a direct wire kit will come out pretty soon or I will have to go with a new headunit.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:09 AM

No reason to jump on me. I was just relating my experience. It worked better than any other FM transmitter I've used. It is as clear as a radio station if not better. I don't know if it is the same one you used or not. I bought it at the Apple store because I happened to be there. It also wasn't $99, it was $80. Maybe we have two different models.
Old 07-31-2006, 01:25 PM

Not trying to jump on you, but I as so frustrated that FM transmitters don't like me.

I don't know exactly which model number it was, but the main problem I had with the Monster one was the fact that you could only use the preset stations. At least the transpod would let you use any station you choose. The majority of the presets for the Monster were actual radio stations in my area, so that wouldn't work and the other presets were very close to strong signal stations. It might work well on other cars, but in my SS, with the presets available, it worked horribly for me.

Last edited by Satchmo; 07-31-2006 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 11:36 PM

Besides Auxilury input, I'd think the Bluetooth connector would be your best bet for sound quality. Because I'm not 100% sure on Auxilury inputs, but I think that they work top of the line, but they aren't always availible. And Bluetooth should work really well from what I've read, no interference like using an FM adaptor. I have the Transpod and I like it, but I'm going to eventually get the Bluetooth adaptor since I'm definitely keeping my Cobalt for a long time............And if I'm wrong, please correct me.
Old 08-01-2006, 12:06 AM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i just bought the scosche FM Modulator that hooks into the antenna itself to there is no signal loss, all i needed what the modulator & 2 antenna adaptors. I got it thru Crutchfield $56.00 for the whole deal including shipping. the Scosche part # is FM-M0D01, and once u select the part on crutchfields site it automatically adds the adaptors & install guide, seems like it will work alot better then the once that actually transmit from the from the front of the car to the antenna in the back. Ill be sure to update when i get installed on Wed.
Old 08-01-2006, 09:00 AM

I have seen the inline FM Modulators at Best Buy, but I still believe you have to tune it to a specific FM station to work. At Best Buy, they had this Harmon Kardon set with an inline FM Modulator that had a remote and viewable screen. I thought that was neat because the iPod could be hidden out of sight, but the biggest problem was that it didn't charge the iPod. Has anyone heard about this Harmon Kardon iPlay thing or if it is any good?

http://www.harmankardon.com/drive-1/default.aspx\

Old 08-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Original Hayden Fanatic
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah you have to tune it to a radio station but there isnt the signal drop with the inline that you get w/ a trasmittor... I hooked it up and it sounds amazing.. personally if you just barely keep the ipod from full volume(by 1-2 clicks) it sounds like a CD, even when its cranked... i give it two thumbs up