Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Quick Question On CarPC stuff...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quick Question On CarPC stuff...

I was wondering if I could run a small PC from a touch screen headunit? Now, I know they have USB input, but would that also communicate to the PC for using the touch screen?

Reason being is, I have an idea of using a Pioneer AVH headunit, and a FIT PC2 Mini PC together. I want to know if this will work, then i won't have to deal with worrying about an external amp and all that nonsense...
Old 10-03-2009, 01:07 PM

Bump?
Old 10-03-2009, 01:22 PM

did you even search?

search carputer on the site

i do not however how wat all goes into makin the computer work off a touch screen in the car so i would not kno if you can do the setup your askin

however EmperorJJ will be on tonight lol and will be able to assist you
Old 10-03-2009, 02:06 PM

Yes... I searched. If you can find a more appropriate thread, post up a link. Until then, I am going to keep bumping this thread.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:39 PM

here is a thread about a install he did... not a how to: but a finished product... i'm sure if you PM him he'll help you out...

warrenb213
Old 10-04-2009, 01:17 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
no way in hell man. USB off the deck is very picky. it wont run any software and in some cases only "read" the mp3 files

there is no way to use both effectively. its not impossible thou
Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 AM

Shitty. My dreams are dashed.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:36 PM

Hey sorry about the hella delayed response.

If you are looking to do a combo of your AVH and a carPC, u could do a "half way" job, which is essentially putting in a laptop, and connecting the line-out to the input of the AVH. The problem with this route if you gotta interface with the computer, not the AVH, to change tracks etc. You could probably pass the video to the AVH, but not touch screen capabilities and that hinders ya.

That is a way of doing it, a couple coworkers of mine currently run a similar setup.

You'd honestly probably be happier SELLING the AVH and putting a real nice sound card in that computer you have.

The CarPC world has much advanced since even a year ago, and compared to 5 years ago it's crazy how much has been done. Nowadays, the CarPC can EASILY be direct competition to the oh so dear AVIC units. So the days of "piggy backing" CarPC's through stock system is in the past.

If you sold your AVH, you'd have plenty enough money to complete a CarPC setup. I imagine you spent about a grand on the AVH?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:06 AM

I don't have an AVH... I was just thinking it might be an easier way for me to make a carputer work. I jsut want to bypass having to run a separate amp and having to wire into the sound system and all that jazz. Maybe I will chase down a netbook. I imagine all I will really use the ocmputer for is tuning and music.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:24 AM

mind you most video units have a usb so a flash drive works better then the netbook for music. sounds like you want an pioneer unit and a seperate netbook for tuning not a car pc at all
Old 10-05-2009, 02:27 AM

so realistically, you could build a complete car computer with screen for about a grand?
Old 10-05-2009, 02:31 AM

Well... I would like to keep my stock head unit if I am not doing a complete carputer. I just think a carputer would be fancy.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try this site
http://store.mp3car.com/default.asp
Old 10-05-2009, 02:32 AM

Thanks.
Old 10-05-2009, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by mkriebs
Well... I would like to keep my stock head unit if I am not doing a complete carputer. I just think a carputer would be fancy.
lol fine then your going to need to install an amp then.... unless

http://store.mp3car.com/Guru_Double_..._p/ccc-130.htm

hey warran did you ever see something like that called the g3 or something. i remember it and it looked way better then that ****. but fucked up like this one sounds like its gonna be
Old 10-05-2009, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
lol fine then your going to need to install an amp then.... unless

http://store.mp3car.com/Guru_Double_..._p/ccc-130.htm

hey warran did you ever see something like that called the g3 or something. i remember it and it looked way better then that ****. but fucked up like this one sounds like its gonna be
OMG for 3 grand I could build someone a system that'd blow that out of the water. I don't like using those small internal amp's. The reason why many of us go with spendier units is to escape the internal amp's and offload the amplification to dedicated equipment. that last statement wasn't for you emp, but for the op.

there have been a lot of attempts that haven't really ever caught on emp. the main factor holding back the CarPC market is the costs. Too few companies all seeking HUGE profit margins. Such said strategy has turned an expensive hobby into an even more expensive one, which eliminates a good 50% of the potential audience for these products. If we ever get to the point of seeing my future companies brand coming around, the price points will be set to the advanced deck pricing of today with all the extra bells and whistles.....now that's the way to draw folks in, and it'll look more OEM than that trash.

Old 10-06-2009, 02:01 AM

what if i like trash?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:59 AM

So, say I do a carputer, I am looking at something like this for the PC, and a lilliput screen. Now, I see the computer has a 2 channel output, but I would rather run a 5 channel output to a 5 channel amp (or a 4 and a mono) for best sound, right??

One more reason I like the carputer idea is I then have an excuse to run an amp to all my speakers, thus giving me an excuse to run a nice component system, lol.

IDK, in the name of weight savings (I am not big on adding weight, lol) I prolly will never do it, but I am trying to dream up a way that it won't way too much, and the heavy parts will be removable.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:53 PM

Honestly, CarPC's are great.

If you know a little about computers, you can make a machine on the cheap-around 750 for everything (excluding any amps you may need, etc).

If you have the factory Pioneer amp, then you can use that.

As far as adding weight, it's kinda a toss up. Most CarPC's now look like amplifiers, and the screen replaces the heavy headunit, so you may or may not have a noticeable increase in weight. If you are in the process of adding carbon fiber panels to shave off 5-7 pounds, then I would ask questions, otherwise you would likely be fine.

I loved mine, but I had a chance to get my money back out of it and I have been so busy over the past six months that I haven't even had time to wash my car, let alone play with it, so I took the money and ran.

If you are interested in having something different, a CarPC can be the central hub of making your car very custom. I had planned on adding small monitors, using a USB external video out, and installing the small monitors to the windows behind the b-pillars, making a custom enclosure to make it look factory on the inside and blacked out on the outside except for the monitors. Then playing a demo video of my car on the external monitors, or playing random animated Cobalt SS logos, or other stuff.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:54 PM

yes you can.
i have a car pc if you want it.
pm me for details.
has windows xp, and 160 gb hd.
its the size of an amp

will give you all the wires, usb cord, extension vga, wireless card, and even the sound cables and what not.

i got my setup from maetrix, turned ou the screen didn't work when i got it so i said the hell with it.
bought it for 400 bucks, but since i'm not giving you the screen we can work something out if you're interested. the pc part works just fine though. and is pretty fast. already comes with centrafuse and all the drivers and stuff you'll need to make it all work.

i also just asked maetrix for the link to 7" inch hd screen that fits in the center console where stock radio does and looks completely stock, so all you'll need is the computer "amp" to go along with it.

http://www.bybyte.com/combo_GM.htm
Old 10-10-2009, 02:00 PM

Here's some pics of it, it already has centrafuse installed.

http://www.fluxmedia.net/screenshots.aspx

I'm still pissed that shipping frigged up that monitor for you, I put in alot of time on that.

And yeah, you don't need those keyboard/mouse wires installed, those were for testing, LOL
Old 10-10-2009, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Maetrix
Here's some pics of it, it already has centrafuse installed.

www.centrafuse.com

I'm still pissed that shipping frigged up that monitor for you, I put in alot of time on that.

And yeah, you don't need those keyboard/mouse wires installed, those were for testing, LOL

trust me so was i, i spent like 3 days getting frustrated and trying all sorts of things to make the screen work.
next time try and get insurance? cause i kinda did get the crapper on that. but i didn't blame you for it. you're stuff worked before you sent it, so i couldn't get pissed at you.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:07 PM

I know, I still feel bad. I learned my lesson, not that my feeling bad gets you a working touchscreen, though.
Old 10-10-2009, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maetrix
I know, I still feel bad. I learned my lesson, not that my feeling bad gets you a working touchscreen, though.
yea, i just bought a pioneer avic d3. computers just sitting in the closet lol
Old 10-10-2009, 02:21 PM

If I would have had the coin to spring for one of those Verizon Mifi's I would have gotten one and thrown on moblin, imagine this on a touchscreen carpc??

Quick Reply: Quick Question On CarPC stuff...