Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Radio Cable Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Radio Cable Question

Anyone that has changed their stock HU out for an aftermarket one has obviously seen the radio plug-in. Ususally you buy and adapter to let it plug into the aftermarket unit your installing. Long story short, I got the wrong adapter sent to me by accident and ended up breaking the end of the stock radio cable. For now I just cut the end off the stock radio wire and the cut the one end off the adapter i was sent and spliced them together and it works with the aftermarket unit now. Problem is I wanna be able to put the stock unit back in if need be, and be able to plug the radio wire into it.

So do they make an adapter that would go from an aftermarket male end back to the stock male end? Seems improbable so does anyone know how long that radio cable runs and where it goes and if its possible to replace that?
Old 08-18-2009, 11:18 PM

What year car? I found this when I was looking for myself Metra 71-2103-1 Into car OEM Radio harness for 05-06 cobalt with pioneer system. They have others available, you may have to cut and splice the harness into the main radio harness, not sure on your situation.
I would check out the metra web site. metraonline.com
Old 08-19-2009, 12:18 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
x2 metra makes a few reverse harnesses as they are called. but not sure on the newest gm plug
Old 08-19-2009, 11:17 AM

ok thanks guys. mine was an 08 ss/tc. it kinda had a black cap on the end that got cracked and i eventually just cut off.

so what i kinda have now is called an "aftermarket antenna" since i permenantly attached the aftermarket adapter to my factory radio antenna wire? so i think this is what i need...Metra Electronics Corp. - 40-GM20. Only thing is, is that this doesnt look quite like the piece I broke...

Last edited by hilty003; 08-19-2009 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-19-2009, 01:17 PM

sounds like I misunderstood you, I thought you were asking about the main radio harness that connects to the OEM radio, and your last reply sounds more like it is a antenna adapter/plug your needing, is this correct?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by comptekkie
sounds like I misunderstood you, I thought you were asking about the main radio harness that connects to the OEM radio, and your last reply sounds more like it is a antenna adapter/plug your needing, is this correct?
yea i think. ill try to explain it again as best as possible.

theres a cable that carries the radio signal that connects to stock unit.....you normally buy an adapter to allow factory end to plug into aftermarket radio....i broke factory end and cut it off...then i cut one end of the aftermarket adapter and connected the 2 so that it plugs into my aftermarket unit and works.....however, that aftermarket end will not plug into my stock radio so i need something that has an "aftermarket input" end and a "fatory output" end so that I can plug it into the stock unit if need be.

kinda get it now? i was wondering if they make something like that or if i would have to get that whole cable that carries the radio signal replaced...