Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Remote start...little hesitant

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start...little hesitant

Alright so heres my dilema, my gf's mom bought me a remote start and the install for christmas....i was like holy crap because she bought a bypass mod and everything but i am a little hesitant to put it in because of warranty issues and other circumstances...however not using a remote start and install given by my gf's mom for christmas would be suicide!!...little help?
Old 01-13-2006, 05:57 PM

give it to me and ill let u know how it works out . but seriously i dont think it will void the warrenty at all. I know that their are also some othe people on here who has them too. so just hook it up and make her proud

ryan
Old 01-13-2006, 05:59 PM

yeah i dont wanna be completely shuned from her house the rest of my life because i didnt put in a remote start...
Old 01-13-2006, 06:01 PM

yea ihear ya. getting on the girlfriiends parents side is a must. (im in a lil whole now since i brought my g/f home drunk last night and her mom was still up .thats a )
Old 01-13-2006, 06:20 PM

Yeah i did that, they said something along the lines of "we have to prove that it was the fault of the remote start to sa ur warranty is void" but i dunno how much i trusted the person i was talking to...
Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 AM

not trying to sound rude or anything but, you'd be an idiot for not putting it on. if not for the sake of your relationship with your girl and her parents, but for the pure fact it is FREE.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:20 AM

Check with a dealer first - you never know what might void your warranty and I'd bet there's probably a few dealers out there that are that shady.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:20 AM

Originally Posted by djpatrick35
Check with a dealer first - you never know what might void your warranty and I'd bet there's probably a few dealers out there that are that shady.
Im sort of having the same dilemma. Quick question though: if I take it to one dealer and they deny service, can I just go to another dealer and pretend like the whole thing never happened, or do they put a flag up somewhere in their database?
Old 01-14-2006, 12:39 PM

you guys and the "ask the dealer first" thats BS.they will almost always say it will void it, because they don't want to cover anything, the work (time)comes out of their bottom line...If you replace or add anything, The Dealer will not warentee the new item (unless GM aproved) and unless they can prove that the new item caused the problem (small pulley=broken Supercharger) they can't void the entire warentee. Check out the Magnussun-moss act or something like that....I'd also say that you probably have some kind of warentee with the company installing the Starter too....If it's done right you won't have a problem anyway....And stay on the good side of the mom...especially if she's a **** :-)
Old 01-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Site Founder

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
is your car a 5 speed?
Old 01-14-2006, 02:38 PM

Mine is. I would have to install a neutral safety switch.
Old 01-14-2006, 04:00 PM

I asked my dealer about installing a remote starter and they said it doesn't 'void the warranty', they said that if something breaks as a result of the remote starter, like something that the remote starter controls or something, then u'll have to pay for the parts, otherwise everything else in ur car is still under warranty.

hope that helps
Old 01-15-2006, 02:28 AM

Originally Posted by TarZan
not trying to sound rude or anything but, you'd be an idiot for not putting it on. if not for the sake of your relationship with your girl and her parents, but for the pure fact it is FREE.

Well yeah ive already booked the installation i was just checkin to makesure i wasnt being a huge moron by putting it in the car in the firstplace, regardless of whast free or not if it mesd up my new car id be a lil mad...
Old 01-15-2006, 11:04 AM

Mine came as an option from my dealer.
Old 01-15-2006, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
Well yeah ive already booked the installation i was just checkin to makesure i wasnt being a huge moron by putting it in the car in the firstplace, regardless of whast free or not if it mesd up my new car id be a lil mad...

way to go! now, make sure you let us know how it goes and how much you like it. and if you're car doesn't break, i might just schedule an installation for myself
Old 01-15-2006, 04:24 PM

I just installed one on my girlfriends blazer. ZR2. I got her the Viper 791xv for christmass. INSANE INSTALL!! But all in all it worked out well. If you are worried about the warranty just have the dealer install it. Most dealerships, like the one I work at, have an alarm guy that comes to the dealership to install that kind of stuff. That way if it causes a problem they have to fix it...free But there is a chance they might not do it, if your car is a manual. If its manual they run the risk of you trying to start it while it's in gear. I don't know if you've ever seen that happen, but the car will actually roll and keep rolling untill you shut off the remote start by hitting the button on the remote again.
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM

I got a sweet remote start unit from my parents for christmas too... I just got it installed at the Chevy dealer that I purchased the car from and it didnt void the warranty at all infact its warrantied for 3 years / 36,000 miles! In my case I have the extended warranty on my Cobalt so the remote start is warrantied for the length of that which is 6 years / 75,000 miles! The unit works awesome and has all the same features as the normal keyfob. Its awesome and so usefull on really cold days or when its hot out!
Old 01-15-2006, 10:46 PM

for manuals you can get remote starts specifically designed for them so that problem doesnt occur...but i should be ok, yeah my dealer here wont install it simply because i dont lvie in a big city...i actually live south of ottawa...getting it done tues at 10
Old 01-17-2006, 04:42 PM

Just had my remote start put in..works like a charm...the range is 2000ft and am loving it since it was -25 in Ottawa today....installers did a very clean cut job and should have absolutely no problems as its garunteed for life.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:38 AM

if you install it correctly it wont hurt anything. you cant even tell its installed except for the little antannae on the windshield behind the rear view mirror. i have it done and i'm sooooo glad i got it.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by NoleafClover
Yeah i did that, they said something along the lines of "we have to prove that it was the fault of the remote start to sa ur warranty is void" but i dunno how much i trusted the person i was talking to...
At a dealership, it's usually more like, "The owner has to prove it wasn't the addtion that caused the failure", because most dealerships will try anything to get out of a warrenty claim.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:45 AM
South Central *********

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts
let me tell you a story

i had a remote start on one of my cars, (as an automatic but later swapped to a M5)

one day i was working on a car with my keys in my pocket, i must have bumped it or something
my car started and drove into a wall in front of it after jumping the curb
that one wasnt so bad

the final straw was when i had a beer or two and was leavin my buddys apt.
as i walked down the stairs i hit the button to unlock it, i ended up hitting the wrong f*in button the car, which was parked in 3rd, started, spun the tires in third and crashed into the wall in front of it

i have heard numerous other encounterz like this as i have told this story so **** happens
either get it and have it only engage when ebrake is on or always park in nuetral, cuz the first time you park in gear, or your GF does, or the shop down the street that changes your oil does, you will not be a happy camper

you will prolly even be starting it showing off like joe cool *****

AND NO MATTER HOW THEY WIRE IT, IT STILL BYPASSES THE PARK/NUETRAL SAFETY SWITCH OR YOUR CLUTCH DISENGAGE SENSOR, ALSO IF DONE UNCORRECTLY YOU MAY BE ABLE TO JUST TURN THE KEY AND START IT W/O USING THE CLUTCH (NOT REC/)
Old 01-18-2006, 11:31 AM

I wouldn't mind a remote start on my manual trans... I always put the car into neutral before I shut it off anyway.
Old 01-18-2006, 11:36 AM
Banned

I have a remote start in my sedan. But mine is an automatic. The only thing I don't like about it is the horn honking whenever you first start it. it honks twice and stops...
Old 01-18-2006, 01:19 PM

well..mine is an auto so hopefully that manual crap wont happen, but ive had a remote start on my old cavy for years...and that never happened...so i got the same starter fro christmas and had it installed at the same place so....we will see i geuss

Quick Reply: Remote start...little hesitant