Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Remote Start Questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2011, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote Start Questions

My wife has an '07 G5 2.2L automatic (all power options, MP3 player, etc.). She wants to add remote start. I want an integrated style system. Not really looking for an aftermarket style system. I want to know if the G5s came with remote start system "built in" and just not turned on at the BCM.

I guess my question is... Could a factory remote be programmed to the car and then turned on at the BCM for a fully functioning unit? I know this is how you add cruise control to the car. (Get the button, harness, and turn it on at the BCM)

Otherwise, I assume this could be added to the car. But has anyone put this kit on themselves? What is required for it? Could not find what I am looking for anywhere on here. http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/Page_Pro...tID=9459&qty=1 is the GM part. Anybody add this extended range unit to their car? Will anything need done or is this unit more of a plug and play over a whole new system.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:03 AM

i mean, i see what you're saying but its just as easy if not better to just go aftermarket...some aftermarket systems even allow you to use the factory remote to remote start the vehicle if thats what you want.

I can't tell by that link whether or not its installation is as easy as "plug and play". Don't know man, sorry.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:00 AM

Viper
is what i use... i can remote start from like a mile away, also has plugins to control the windows and all sorts of stuff... someone even said there is addon that will give ya a BJ on this thing! also if you have two cars with these, one remote can control both cars..
Old 02-23-2011, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by xnigelx
Viper
is what i use... i can remote start from like a mile away, also has plugins to control the windows and all sorts of stuff... someone even said there is addon that will give ya a BJ on this thing! also if you have two cars with these, one remote can control both cars..
^^^That thing has a pretty good reputation, and it's probably less exspensive than what gm would charge for the "ok" factory unit.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by nickadolph
^^^That thing has a pretty good reputation, and it's probably less exspensive than what gm would charge for the "ok" factory unit.
I'm not very happy with the GM solution. It only works half of the time.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:22 AM

My wife was cool with me adding the Cobalt supercharger to the car for her and a few other things. She said she just wants to keep all GM parts on the car. For Christmas, I gave her a nice system and told her I would have it put in, she DID NOT want it. It did windows up/down, alarm, read into gas levels, remote start with different times to choose, could open the sunroof, had an alarm that would show if anyone was messing with her car... She said "Why can't I just have the GM one". Which is why I am bringing you the question.

Has anyone tried the "simple" conversion of adding the GM remote start key fob and seeing if the BCM is the only thing that needs adjusted?

I have the extended range one on my Acadia SLT2 and it is good for like a football field or more, and you don't have to guess if it is working or not since the display tells you. That is why I figured it would be another option. Since they make a unit for a car thaat already has remote start and one for cars without, I wondered if anyone had tried this method.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:42 PM

If it's a standard transmission, I'm going to make an educated guess and say no.
Old 02-23-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by denlou
If it's a standard transmission, I'm going to make an educated guess and say no.
Thanks, but as per my first post... "My wife has an '07 G5 2.2L automatic (all power options, MP3 player, etc.)." But I do appreciate the feedback!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM

All GM parts eh? lol.

just give it a shot, if **** doesn't work return it.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by c4w18
All GM parts eh? lol.

just give it a shot, if **** doesn't work return it.
Yeah I know. Only reason the Supercharger was ok was because I told her you could get it on a cobalt.

But when the alarm says Clifford or Viper on it she knows. She is not a fool. But she likes more factory stuff over aftermarket on her car. She knows how some aftermarket stuff is a nigthmare (like on my old Zo6). So she limts me to GM parts upgrades on her car. Weird, I know. But at least she is interested in cars and lets me do my thing.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 PM

Understandable to an extent. We all know how women are though, show her the pink breast cancer awareness viper 5701 and maybe she'll cave :P.
Old 02-25-2011, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by c4w18
Understandable to an extent. We all know how women are though, show her the pink breast cancer awareness viper 5701 and maybe she'll cave :P.
Viper seriously jumped the breast cancer band wagon too?
Old 02-25-2011, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by denlou
Viper seriously jumped the breast cancer band wagon too?

yep
Old 02-25-2011, 01:38 PM

id go viper. my brother uses that for his sti and he's never had a problem and it works EVERY freaking time haha. trust me. every morning i here his stupid car idle outside because its so damn loud
Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by kikal8
id go viper. my brother uses that for his sti and he's never had a problem and it works EVERY freaking time haha. trust me. every morning i here his stupid car idle outside because its so damn loud
Not really an option at the moment. She HATES pink, so that would not really win her over lol. I returned the aftermarket unit I had since she was so against it. GM is the only option I have. Not sure if anyone has tried to program a remote to it and then see if it just turns on at the BCM through a Tech II. That is why I was thinking the GM extended range unit. But I guess no one has tried that unit either. If it says the avarage unit dealer installs in 1.3 hours, I think it must be plug and play for the most part. Since I have never seen a shop hook up all the functions in under 2 hours.

Like I said, I have this on my 2011 SLT2 Acadia and it works from over a football feild away without a hitch. My G8 has the factory remote stat that only works for like 30 feet. Something awful like that. So I think the "GM Unit" will be just as good. It would be cheaper to have a factory fob work though. Since she would not start it fram any distance anyway. She can't remote start from the garage or we would die. And she parks close to the door at work