Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Replacing base speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2005, 07:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing base speakers

I was looking into replacing the speakers in my cobalt base sedan. I looked at the circuit city webpage and they told me that 6 1/2 inch speakers would fit in the front doors and 6 x 9 inch speakers would fit in the rear deck. This is the link to the page: http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catO...ategorylist.do
If/when i replace these speakers, would it be something that i could do myself? The speakers would have to fit perfectly because i have to remove them before i turn in the car at the end of my lease. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:01 PM
Premium Member

If your fairly new to car audio, you might want to check out Crutchfield. They sell alot of great brands and, most importantly, you can enter the make, model, and body style of your car and they will list whatever fits it. They also sell vehicle-specific wiring harnesses that will plug directly into your car's wiring, so you don't have to cut any wires on the car. If you change out the stock head unit, they'll have a harness that you can wire to the new radio so you can just connect it to the factory harness. They also usually ship easy to follow installation instructions free for whatever you order. I used to be huge audio-phile back in my younger years (probably been over 10 years since I messed with a stereo), but I'm already thinking about making some speaker swaps and possibly installing a better amplifier (haven't torn into the dash, yet, so I don't know how the Pioneer's amp is integrated into the system).

If you have the Pioneer system, then one thing I might suggest is buy some capaciters (or Crutchfield calls them bass-blockers) for the front speakers. Let the sub do all the heavy bass work. I noticed the stock speakers up front distort rather easily, and aside from the tweeters, I doubt they have anything on them to limit the bass output.
Old 04-19-2005, 10:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The rear 6x9 speakers(in the SS/SC Pioneer system at least) are 2 ohms. Most all the aftermarket speakers are 4 ohm. I'd assume you'd then have essentially half the volume(not accounting for better speaker sensitivity to make some up) by replacing them. Is that right? That amp they have in the SS/SC can handle 2 ohm loads? This sounds strange to me.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:48 PM

I have replaced the factory pioneer speakers with aftermarket 6x9s and 6.5 components. I would say there is a noticable reduction in the overall output of the stereo/amp with 4ohm speakers versus 2ohm. I am not very happy with the replacement for the following reasons:

1) the original 6x9s were not coaxial so replacing them with coaxial speakers shifts the sound stage dramatically to the rear

2) the replacement 6.5" components have better bass response which is a plus, but they also have better treble response. Because of the equalization in the amplifier to account for the flatter factory speakers, the system is now harshly bright with the aftermarkets

Therefore, I am going to take it a step further and either replace the head unit or amplifier (or both) with aftermarket to power the internal speakers. That way I can reduce distortion, control the equalization, sound staging and increase overall power output. A much better solution and worth the addtional expense.

FYI, the pioneer sub is borrowed from aftermarket and is claimed to have impressive specifications. I am still attempting to quantify that statement before I consider to utilize it in my upgrades.

If anyone needs additional information regarding the stock system contact me offline. I should be able to point you in the right direction.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:40 AM

OK.. it's sounds like you all are talking about the SS/sc... how about my car.. LS Coupe????????? I am thinking of just putting subs in there.. that's !.. and yes keeping the stock radio... I DO NOT WANT TO DEAL WITH the wires behind it!! I have a pair of 6x9's Pioneer sitting under my bed!.... They are 3 way's and can handle 240 watts!!..... I might sell them with the 4" 2ways that can handle 100watts, pioneer also!.. and a DEH 6500 head unit for $350....

BUT, back to the question............. How many Ohms do you the my stock 6x9's are???
Old 04-20-2005, 09:00 AM

lilngineer:

Please correct my error in thinking or misunderstanding, but why can't you use the fade controls to bring the soundstage to the front?

And as far as the harsh treble, What does adjusting the treble control on the stereo do? This should have some impact on your highs. Your mids will probably suffer as well though since I assume the head unit has only treble and bass adjustment. I forgot to check when I test drove.

The preset settings in the radio such as Pop/Rock etc.. Are these able to make a change to more bands than just your treble/bass controls or are they confined to just bass/treble control as well?

What do you mean by amp equilization? Shouldn't all the equalization be on the head unit?

Just out of sheer curiosity, what speakers did get get for the rear and front?
Old 04-20-2005, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
lilngineer:

Please correct my error in thinking or misunderstanding, but why can't you use the fade controls to bring the soundstage to the front?

And as far as the harsh treble, What does adjusting the treble control on the stereo do? This should have some impact on your highs. Your mids will probably suffer as well though since I assume the head unit has only treble and bass adjustment. I forgot to check when I test drove.

The preset settings in the radio such as Pop/Rock etc.. Are these able to make a change to more bands than just your treble/bass controls or are they confined to just bass/treble control as well?

What do you mean by amp equilization? Shouldn't all the equalization be on the head unit?

Just out of sheer curiosity, what speakers did get get for the rear and front?
the HU has limited tuning capability, just Front/rear, left/right, treble/bass
on an amplifier, you can tune frequencies, bass, gain, and control the speakers themselves
a head unit will control the signal going to it

in my car, im keeping my stock cd player, and adding in my subwoofer setup
Old 04-20-2005, 12:37 PM

Sounds like replacing the speakers isn't enough. I've got a nice flip out deck with cd that adds a few watts, infinity speakers(front and back with tweets) and a jbl sub. and an 850 watt amp. Only problem is that they will have to take that one out of my 2001 Z24 and replace with the old stock to go back to the dealer and then take out the stock on the SS and put in the good system. That's a lot of work and costs some bones I'd think....not a one day job!!! But the sound is worth it.
Old 04-25-2005, 11:55 AM

Nightcrawler,

You can use the fade controls to bring the soundstage forward, but doing this also reduces the power going to the sub and rear 6x9s. For my personal preferences, there isnt enough power anyway so this is not acceptable.

As for the treble, yes you can use the head unit treble controls to limit the output provided the treble control frequency is adjusted at an acceptable point. Not a big deal, just something to note.

The equalization of the system can be contained both in the head unit and amplifier. I am not certain how much of it is accomplished where, but I can tell you there is a significant amount designed into the system.

FYI,

I finally decided to replace my head unit as well as the speakers in the cabin. It sounds much better now that I have. I am still using the factory sub, but powering it with an aftermarket amp. It sounds really good.

I work for Clarion so I have the following Clarion components in the system:

Head Unit DXZ755MC
AMP APA 2160
6x9s SRR 6985
6.5" components SRS 1685
Old 04-26-2005, 10:50 AM

Ok.. I'm thinking perhaps your audio 'standard' preference and mine are a bit different. I think you're used to higher end systems than I am. Here's a scenario.

I currently own a 1999 Z24. I replaced the rear 6x9's with 3-way Pioneers(40wattRMS). The front 4x6's got replaced with Infinity 4x6 plate speakers(35W RMS I think) . No amps.. The head unit sufficiently powered all the speakers enough for my liking. To me.. I have beautiful, crisp, clear sound. Most of it thanks to the beautiful mid/high's provided by the Infinity's though.

I've got an SS on order. I guess my real question is, do you think I will be able to acheive the same power level and sound quality I had in the Cavalier with the with just speaker replacements?

I'm thinking what is not enough power for you.. may be enough for me.

As a side note, my impression of the stock SS stereo when I heard it was it was lacking and sounded flat in the mid/high range as opposed to the Inifinity's in my Cavalier.
Old 04-26-2005, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Nightcrawler
Ok.. I'm thinking perhaps your audio 'standard' preference and mine are a bit different. I think you're used to higher end systems than I am. Here's a scenario.

I currently own a 1999 Z24. I replaced the rear 6x9's with 3-way Pioneers(40wattRMS). The front 4x6's got replaced with Infinity 4x6 plate speakers(35W RMS I think) . No amps.. The head unit sufficiently powered all the speakers enough for my liking. To me.. I have beautiful, crisp, clear sound. Most of it thanks to the beautiful mid/high's provided by the Infinity's though.

I've got an SS on order. I guess my real question is, do you think I will be able to acheive the same power level and sound quality I had in the Cavalier with the with just speaker replacements?

I'm thinking what is not enough power for you.. may be enough for me.

As a side note, my impression of the stock SS stereo when I heard it was it was lacking and sounded flat in the mid/high range as opposed to the Inifinity's in my Cavalier.
It sounds like the pioneer system in the SS should be good for you and if its not throw in some different aftermarket speakers.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:55 AM

so, when i replace the speakers in my base sedan, will it be enough to get some good sound out of it, or will i have to get an aftermarket amp...right now i have a 2003 malibu ls, so any speakers are an improvement over what i have now
Old 04-28-2005, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Chevy4Life85
It sounds like the pioneer system in the SS should be good for you and if its not throw in some different aftermarket speakers.
Aftermarkets absolutely. As I said.. It's all because of those Infinitys that the music in my Z24 is so clear and crisp. The little tiny 4x6 plates have amazing mid's and highs. They kill the Pioneer rear speakers I have, but the rears are my low end.. so that's ok. The Pioneers have good base for 6x9's.

I would buy nothing less than Infinitys for my front speakers now that I've owned some. I'm not sure it's necessary to put them in the rear especially in the Cobalt SS considering the extra price. With the sub there, and good front speakers, the back speakers are just basically filler and add some higher frequency bass kick that the sub can't produce.