Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Screwed up my system, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Screwed up my system, HELP

So guys I was installing my new component speaks today, right side went in perfect, then i put the left side on and i go to test, and i think the speaker terminals made contact with the metal frame of the car, because then there was just bad noises from all the speakers, i pulled the key, taped up the terminals with electric tape and put it all back in.

Now when my key is in ACC im getting high pitched feedback like theres a bad ground, its not noticeable when you put the volume up, but you clearly hear stuff when you switch the track or put the volume down to zero. However when the car is running its ALL fucked up, weird noises, if i click my reverse lock on my gear shifter i hear noises in the speakers as well

When i turn the LPF on my amp for my speakers on the noises go away, but that obviously isnt a fix.

Any ideas? I think i might have killed my speaker amp, and hopefully not my headunit

Anyone wanna help?

Last edited by Xavipheus; 04-28-2007 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 04-28-2007, 09:28 PM

Where do you have your grounds for the amp??
Old 04-28-2007, 09:48 PM

Drilled a hole in the trunk, but i've never had any issue like this before, only when i put my new front left speaker in did everything just wig out
Old 04-28-2007, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by redSSBalt
Where do you have your grounds for the amp??
I think you're onto something.

Sounds like a ground loop to me. The electricity going through both the negative terminal on the amp to the chassis, and the external metal of the amp to the chassis.

What brand of amp? Some are just so cheaply made anymore it doesn't matter what you do, the noise won't go away.
Old 04-28-2007, 10:58 PM

Check my sig, but i never had this problem until my speaker connection came in contact with the frame of the car ( or at least i believe they did when i put the speaker in the whole) i think i killed the amp or something doing that
Old 04-28-2007, 11:18 PM

But you don't know how it sounded before you touched the speaker terminals to the car, right?

BTW, I don't memorize model names of amps and speakers. Enlighten me, please.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:25 PM

Yes I do, my system was great beforehand, but i blew a speaker the other week so i insalled these new components for my front speakers. my front right went in fine, then i plugged in my front left went to test and i just hear bad noises.

Audiobahn A6004V thats my speaker amp

I disconected my front speaker wires from my amp and i still have the same problem, I think i shorted something on the amp.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:27 PM

run a ground loop wire from the back of your radio to the ground on the amp
Old 04-28-2007, 11:27 PM

Check the ground wiring you have. That happened to me one time before with my old car and it went a high pitch whine/noise through my 6x9's from a bad ground.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:31 PM

Guys, my grounds are fine i never had this issue, all of a sudden i swap a speaker and i think the postive and negative terminals made contact with the metal door while music was playing through it. Ever since then i have all these pops in my speakers and when i hit the gas they go up and make more noise.
Old 04-28-2007, 11:39 PM

yes its called "alternator wine" run a ground loop wire and change your gound! make sure you removed all paint around the area you ground the wire too. best place to get ground from is from a bolt
Old 04-29-2007, 10:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Xavipheus
Guys, my grounds are fine i never had this issue, all of a sudden i swap a speaker and i think the postive and negative terminals made contact with the metal door while music was playing through it. Ever since then i have all these pops in my speakers and when i hit the gas they go up and make more noise.
Yes, but I would still redo your grounds, because that's what sounds like is going on. What happens if you disconnect the RCAs from the amps? Does it just make crazy noises or stop playing altogether?
Old 04-29-2007, 10:53 AM

if i disconnect the RCA's from the amp all the noises go away
Old 04-29-2007, 09:06 PM

You seem convinced you fried something, but I'm sure you didn't. Pretty much all amps sold these days have some sort of thermal overload protection. What you did is nothing different than frying a voice coil.

What you did do is create a Gremlin. I've done this myself. All I did was change out the head unit in my '92 Camaro from some cheap brand (Jensen IIRC), to a JVC Kameleon. After that, my amps developed that same sound. I reconnected the old head unit just to see if the JVC was causing it, but the whine was still there...

Try the suggestions already given.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:35 PM

Today i plugged my Ipod directly in my amp via a Y cable and the noises in the speaker went away, perfect sound, plug my RCA's from my headunit in, bamm noises back. So now im thinking the headunit got fried or something

Im going to swap in my stock one tomorrow to make sure theres no noises with that
Old 04-29-2007, 09:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Today i plugged my Ipod directly in my amp via a Y cable and the noises in the speaker went away, perfect sound, plug my RCA's from my headunit in, bamm noises back. So now im thinking the headunit got fried or something

Im going to swap in my stock one tomorrow to make sure theres no noises with that
I'll say it again in case you're not picking up on what everyone else is saying: GROUND LOOP!!

If everything is fine when you plug the ipod into the amp, that's even more evidence that a ground loop is causing your problems. A ground loop develops when there is different resistances in the different grounds of the system. The ipod is not grounded to the vehicle, therefore there is no way a ground loop could develop. So if you're having sound issues and you plug the ipod in and its fixed that usually indicates a ground loop.

Unbolt and clean up the ground for your amp(s), re-check all connections (distribution block?), and run a source ground wire from the head unit ground to the ground of the amp.
Old 04-29-2007, 09:50 PM

why would this all of a sudden be an issue though? My headunits ground is just the original ground wire for the stock h/u so maybe ill cut that wire and bolt it down to the chassy somewhere.

But I still dont understand how this could have happened. But ill deff check it out
Old 04-29-2007, 09:51 PM

If he's explaining it correctly, he definetly has a GROUND LOOP!!!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:56 PM

And whats this about running a ground wire from my headunit to my amp ground distro box?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:05 PM

run a wire from your ground on your radio to the ground on your amp and thats it
Old 04-29-2007, 11:14 PM

For a perman hookup and keep both existing grounds connected?
Old 04-29-2007, 11:20 PM

yes just tap on to your radio ground and then run it to the amp and just hook it up with the amp ground
Old 04-30-2007, 12:10 PM

Okay so today I changed my ground on my headunit from using the original harness ground wire to a bolt on the drivers side, that did nothing. I then ran a ground wire from that same bolt the headunit ground is bolted too to the amps ground terminal and that did nothing.

I connected my stock headunit back in and has no noise issues. So im thinking the headunit now?
Old 04-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Okay so today I changed my ground on my headunit from using the original harness ground wire to a bolt on the drivers side, that did nothing. I then ran a ground wire from that same bolt the headunit ground is bolted too to the amps ground terminal and that did nothing.

I connected my stock headunit back in and has no noise issues. So im thinking the headunit now?
Sounds like it.

One disadvantage nearly nobody can get away from is the fact that your HU is grounded twice. Once with the ground wire (duh ) and once by the antenea.

That's the problem I had. I bought a noise supressor and put it between my HU and my main amp. That's the only solution I could find.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:09 PM

your ground is whack, somewhere. i fixed a similar problem on my buddies sentra. just redo the grounds, in different parts of the car than they are now. all grounds relating to stereo if you really wanna get ****. this time do it right!

Quick Reply: Screwed up my system, HELP