Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2005, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Security System

Does anyone know if the cobalt is coming with any sort of car alarm?
I need one quite badly where I live..
If not from GM, hopefully I can get it as a dealer option.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:35 PM

In my dealer brochure, it says nothing about an "alarm system". Under safety and security it only lists:

Air Bags: Front: Driver and passenger
Head curtain side-impact: driver and passenger

Battery rundown protection

Daytime Running Lamps

Headlamps, halogen: includes Automatic Exterior Lamp Control

LATCH system

OnStar: includes one year Safe & Sound plan
Old 02-22-2005, 02:48 PM

It several different theft deterrent devices.

First "PASSlock 3" is a GM favorite that disables the fuel system unless the correct key is used. It's not based on a key, but rather a system of "tumblers" that will allow the starter to engage, but will not turn on the OBC (computer) and in turn will not turn on the O2 sensor, which will in turn not send any fuel to the engine.

Second the stereo, whichever you get, has a system in it that will not work unless programmed (with a code from the factory) to a different vehicle, but nobody really steals factory radios these days anyway.

Third, the keyless entry system acts as an "alarm." The factory default setting is set to arm by pressing the lock button twice, the alarm will sound the horn and flash the lights if someone opens the door without using the keyfob to unlock the door. This of course is only availble on the models with Power Locks and Keyless Entry (LS, LT, SS, SS/SC). It does not function as a "motion detector" and will only sound if any door is opened. (Thus, if you arm the vehicle while inside, then unlock the door manually and open it, the alarm will sound.

Hope that helps.

Villain
Old 02-22-2005, 04:10 PM

Exactly what I was looking for
Thanks!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:18 PM
Moderator Alumni

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what happen to the system that had a weird little chip in the base of the key?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:32 PM

That was the earlier version of the PASSlock system. It used a coded resistor on the key. The problem with those is that after a while they wore out, or if it didn't make good contact with the system, it disabled starting the car for like 30 minutes.

I believe the newer cars use a PASSlock that isn't exposed to the elements.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by White97Jimmy
That was the earlier version of the PASSlock system. It used a coded resistor on the key. The problem with those is that after a while they wore out, or if it didn't make good contact with the system, it disabled starting the car for like 30 minutes.

I believe the newer cars use a PASSlock that isn't exposed to the elements.
That's why it's called "PASSlock 3" or "PASSlock 2"

Other vehicles have similar systems. The Malibu and Malibu MAXX have something called the "PASS-Key III Plus"

Yet still the classics like the Montes and Impalas as well as the Full Size vehicles all use the plain ole "PASSlock" as opposed to the PASS-Key system that you were referring to.

Nowadays there are no "chips" in the keys, only a coded ignition assembly. It has been explained to me that each "tumbler" in the key is coded to a different function in the car, whether it is the starter or the fuel system or the OBC.

Glad to help.

Villain
Old 02-22-2005, 08:24 PM
BJC

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So if I want a spare key, any hardware store could cut them, or do I need to special order them from GM?
Old 02-28-2005, 12:12 PM

I will assume then, that installing an aftermarket security in the Cobalt shouldn't be a problem. I have owned a couple vehicles in the last 5 years that have had factory installed security which caused big problems when installing an aftermarket alarm because the factory system couldn't be disactivated.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:14 PM

My alarm is called 5 speed, seems that most car thiefs can't drive them
Old 04-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Calgden
I will assume then, that installing an aftermarket security in the Cobalt shouldn't be a problem. I have owned a couple vehicles in the last 5 years that have had factory installed security which caused big problems when installing an aftermarket alarm because the factory system couldn't be disactivated.

I, well not me a shop installed an aftermarket alarm, works great. Also, I didn't have keyless entry. They installed aculators in my doors to give me keyless entry.

Im realizing now I should have just got all the power options from the dealer because I am now having power windows installed lol.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:36 PM

For some GM vehicles, they comes with the most advanced PAsslock 3 - The newer keys don't have the chip, but you tell if a key is coded by the little 'X' etched on the base of the key, near wear you hold it.

Best thing is to make sure you have the right insurance, because even if you have an Alarm and someone wants your car ... it's gone!
Old 04-30-2005, 05:37 PM

the only way to turn off the alarm is to start the car
how shitty is that??
isnt that the exact opposite of what you want?
Old 05-01-2005, 01:12 PM

About a week ago I had locked my car and taken the key fob off of my key chain because I had a job interview for a government position where I had to pass through metal detectors. It is the kind of place where they do not want you bringing anything extra into the building, CDs, thumb drives, not even cell phones so I figured I would be better safe than sorry and just carray as little as possible.

Any way after the series of interviews was over I went back out to my car to open the trunk and used the key. All of a sudden the alarm system kicked on (I didn't know that it would turn on if you opened the trunk with the key) and here I am standing in the middle of a government parking lot trying to turn off my alarm system and messing around with the key... so much for not making a scene....