Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

set of comps

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question set of comps

ok now that i know what head unit im going to get... http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...EH-P510UB.html ... i just have to start thinking about a nice set of comps upfront to finish off my system. Just a couple of questions first.

Are the stock locations ok for the midbass driver, and is there any special that i will need to fit them in there? I remember reading about having to make something out of mdf, but i cant quite remember exactly what it was.

Mounting depth in the stock location if anyone knows that off hand?

Good place to put the tweeters? I hear the closer to the midbass driver the better, so any recommendations on a location without too much work would be nice...like just having to cut a small hole or something.

How much power should they have. Is 60 rms to small of a mount of power for good sounding comps?

Sorry about all the questions, but i like to make very informed decisions on my purchases...im sure there will be more questions to come also

This is just what i found that i would like
http://www.woofersetc.com/p6201/CTX6...ker-System.htm

A less demanding option
http://www.woofersetc.com/p3372/165A...t-Speakers.htm

As always thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2009, 12:42 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
60rms is plenty for midrange speakers... do u have the pioneer system? how about power mirrors?
Old 08-09-2009, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by EmperorJJ1
do u have the pioneer system? how about power mirrors?
no pioneer or onstar. I have power mirrors and windows. It the 08 ls sedan model ... I believe its the ls anyways
Old 08-09-2009, 01:07 AM

ok so no pioneer means u will need to make a bracket, buy a bracket or cut your stock speakers to properly fit an aftermarket 6.5

regarding tweets alot of peeps say to put them buy the woofer for better imaging but i dont like the staging way down there. something like the stock pioneer location has been great for me. heres a pic of my old tweet setup
Old 08-09-2009, 11:20 PM

so what is the mounting depth of the stock speaker location? The focal are 2.81 inches deep so i think i would need at least 3 inches for them to fit ok.

Any suggestions on other comps would be nice too. Im not to sure if i want a more natural sounding tweeter or not. I know some sound differently than others.

Input is always welcome
Old 08-10-2009, 01:54 AM

should be fine ive never herd of a 6.5 being to deep in our cobalts... and im pretty sure a member here has the re XXX comps in there and they are deep as hell
Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 AM

I have the xxx's in the doors and only had to make a spacer for them to fit.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What are the power ratings on those like?
Old 08-10-2009, 09:54 AM

I thought that the cars with the Pioneer system were the ones that had the funky mounting hole and required the brackets and not the other way around. I have the Pioneer system in my car and had those goofy ass brackets. Go figure.

I have the RE XXX comps too. I didn't have any problems with mounting depth and they're something like 4" deep, so those Focals should fit alright. It was the surrounds on the speaker basket itsself that gave me trouble. It caused the speaker to not fit into the plastic bracket in the door. I just dremeled off the part of the bracket that sits inside the door, and cut little notches that let the speaker slide right in. The tweeters... Now that's a different story. Those things were a pain.

I like the window sails for mounting tweeters also, but I just couldn't get the XXX tweeters to fit up there, so I settled for putting them in the doors right above the woofer. Imaging seems fine, but then again I didn't have any problems with my old tweets in the sail. Emp is right about the staging though. It kind of pulls it down to the floor. It's not terrible, but I think I'd prefer the tweets in the sails again.

As far as different tweets go, I used aluminum ones forever. Once I switched to the XXX comps with the silk tweet, I don't think I'll ever go back. It just had a much warmer sound to it. A lot less tinny and harsh. Of course, different strokes for different folks.

Spun: Power rating on the XXX comps is 150watt @ 2 ohms.
Old 08-10-2009, 02:34 PM

ok its good to know that they will fit alright. thanks guys. About the silk tweeters. Any suggestions on a set i could get for around $200. Im not sure what ones i would like better the silk or aluminum, but i like to have options and i could look for review of them to see what others think.

I have never had comps before so im not to sure what kind i would like to be honest. I listen to a lot of rock, punk rock, hard rock...with a little pop and rap mixed in there

actually now that im looking again the ID comps are have silk tweets os maybe i should go for those ones. Im not sure if i will be able to give them all the power they need...cuz i am always paranoid about my alt not being enough...but ill have to get a new battery anyways so why not go all out i guess.

Any opinions on the ID's or any other comps???

Last edited by ShadowSlayer666; 08-10-2009 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 AM

if you can spend a little more than 200 the pioneer prs set if pretty nice and fits well in the cobalt with just the spacer that comes with the set.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by GeNNiX
I thought that the cars with the Pioneer system were the ones that had the funky mounting hole and required the brackets and not the other way around. I have the Pioneer system in my car and had those goofy ass brackets. Go figure.

I have the RE XXX comps too. I didn't have any problems with mounting depth and they're something like 4" deep, so those Focals should fit alright. It was the surrounds on the speaker basket itsself that gave me trouble. It caused the speaker to not fit into the plastic bracket in the door. I just dremeled off the part of the bracket that sits inside the door, and cut little notches that let the speaker slide right in. The tweeters... Now that's a different story. Those things were a pain.

I like the window sails for mounting tweeters also, but I just couldn't get the XXX tweeters to fit up there, so I settled for putting them in the doors right above the woofer. Imaging seems fine, but then again I didn't have any problems with my old tweets in the sail. Emp is right about the staging though. It kind of pulls it down to the floor. It's not terrible, but I think I'd prefer the tweets in the sails again.

As far as different tweets go, I used aluminum ones forever. Once I switched to the XXX comps with the silk tweet, I don't think I'll ever go back. It just had a much warmer sound to it. A lot less tinny and harsh. Of course, different strokes for different folks.

Spun: Power rating on the XXX comps is 150watt @ 2 ohms.
ya. you know how the stock pioneer speaker unscrewed from that weird ass bracket? on the non pioneer models there is no speaker/bracket. Its all a single piece. the easiest way is obviously to buy the brackets off a pioneer balt, next is to cut the stock speaker from the bracket. since its all plastic you just cut out the basket pull the actual speaker part out and trim it down to something manageable. then you can make a block off plate out of wood or whatever. or you could sorta screw the speaker in there and call it done but thats really the worst way to do it. especially if your "upgrading" to components why ghetto rig it so it sounds worse then properly installed?

How do u like the speakers? i don't memmer if i've asked you since you've installed them. god i really wish i had some 2 ohm drivers.
Old 08-16-2009, 04:26 PM

ya. you know how the stock pioneer speaker unscrewed from that weird ass bracket? on the non pioneer models there is no speaker/bracket. Its all a single piece. the easiest way is obviously to buy the brackets off a pioneer balt, next is to cut the stock speaker from the bracket. since its all plastic you just cut out the basket pull the actual speaker part out and trim it down to something manageable. then you can make a block off plate out of wood or whatever. or you could sorta screw the speaker in there and call it done but thats really the worst way to do it. especially if your "upgrading" to components why ghetto rig it so it sounds worse then properly installed?

How do u like the speakers? i don't memmer if i've asked you since you've installed them. god i really wish i had some 2 ohm drivers.

Overall I'm very pleased with them. They tend to break up a little when crossed over at about 80/90hz which isn't something I expected from a speaker that deep. I'm gonna try feeding them some more power (they get about 170rms now) and see how they sound. I just installed infinity reference speakers in a car yesterday for someone, and while it sounded ok, I realized that those comps have me really spoiled.

I recently decided to change stuff up on my system, and dropped from 2 SE12's down to 1 in a big ported box I built in my garage. I'm running it off of my friend's oldschool 500.1bd. I don't really like the sound of the ported box so I'm building another sealed box. My friend wants his 500.1bd back, so I'm gonna power mine with an oldschool RF power 800a2c I found. Oldschool RF FTW! I was going to pick up a 3sixty.2 and some 8's for the doors, but I'm not too sure I want to deal with the pain of figuring out where in the hell I'd put them.
Old 08-17-2009, 05:03 PM

try putting some second skin or other sound dampening behind the speaker and load up the metal panel that the speaker adapter is mounted too (i would either get the speaker kit and only put it behind the speaker or the door kit and do half and half between the 2 metal panels)

also make sure there is a good seal on the woofer and its not leaking air
Old 08-17-2009, 10:38 PM

try putting some second skin or other sound dampening behind the speaker and load up the metal panel that the speaker adapter is mounted too (i would either get the speaker kit and only put it behind the speaker or the door kit and do half and half between the 2 metal panels)

also make sure there is a good seal on the woofer and its not leaking air
I forgot to mention that my doors are deadened with second skin, didn't I? Outside door panel and around the speaker and bracket too. I thought about tossing a speaker tweaker behind the woofers but I'm not so sure it'll really help that much. Also going to put some rubber padding or closed cell foam between the plastic door panel and the metal to try and separate the two. I'm getting some buzzing and specific frequencies that's just damned annoying.

I'm gonna try feeding them some extra power too and see what happens. Found a working old RF 225.2 on the semi cheap. Gotta love those old cheater amps.