Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Someone that knows more about audio than me.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Someone that knows more about audio than me.

Ok I hooked up my KICKER ZX1000.1 bout a year old got everything ready to turn on. Turned on the key and the amp turns on, then clicks then gose off, then clicks again and comes on, ect ect. it continues this wehn power is applied and i dunno what the problem is i emailed kicker but i figured i would check on here in the mean time. any ideas?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like the amp is toast. Sorry. What'd Kicker say?
Old 10-19-2008, 12:55 AM

they havent got back to me yet? its got the thermal protection thing on it, I wonder if thats malfunctioning and causeing it to kick on and off??

sorry i was trying to short hand i guess.

Last edited by nuttzzy; 10-19-2008 at 01:12 AM.
Old 10-19-2008, 12:59 AM

Ok I got the thermal protection bit, double check ALL the connections to the subs. But what the hell was the last part sposed to say?
Old 10-19-2008, 01:01 AM

i had the same thing happen to me with my kicker amp in my old car. it just ended up being a fuse though, hope you have the same problem because they're pretty cheap
Old 10-19-2008, 01:04 AM

Originally Posted by ctanzer88
i had the same thing happen to me with my kicker amp in my old car. it just ended up being a fuse though, hope you have the same problem because they're pretty cheap
disconnect that subs from that amp and try powering up the amp then you will know if its a crossed wire in the sub set up
Old 10-19-2008, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by darrion
disconnect that subs from that amp and try powering up the amp then you will know if its a crossed wire in the sub set up
i tried this same thing.

Originally Posted by ctanzer88
i dont see a fuse on the amp i guess its internal. the manual doesnt say anything bout a amp fuse just the inline fuse in the power. in witch come to think of it blew already and i replaced it. i wonder if the amp drew to much current and its damaged someway. i mean ive only had it a year thats why im wondering all this. it was working when i took it out of the last car.

Originally Posted by Jackalope
Ok I got the thermal protection bit, double check ALL the connections to the subs. But what the hell was the last part sposed to say?
i rewrote it

Last edited by nuttzzy; 10-19-2008 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2008, 02:30 AM

I looked up the manual for this amp and infact it does say you need a fuse inline for the amp to run, it actually says you need 2 one 18" away from the amp and of course one 18" away from the batt. There is no internal fuse
http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-suppor...0e01%20web.pdf

I think your problem might be the settings for the input mode. Are you running it set at low or high, and as for the automatic turn on setting what have you got that set at. Also how is it hooked up, do you have an aftermarket deck with a remote wirea nd RCA's or are you running an LOC and a fuse tap?
Old 10-19-2008, 10:51 AM

okay, this might seem silly, but if you ran the wires nicely and its under the carpet, make sure you got the ground in the ground, and the 12v+ in the 12v+, then electrical tape the ends until you got about 1/4 of an inch open, stick it in and tightening it down to make sure no shorts

then check the power to turn it, on, then the power 12v+, then make sure you have a proper ground
Old 10-19-2008, 10:57 AM

Same thing happend to my brother when Circuit city did his install. They broke the connection on the inside of the amp going to the RCA's and it would short out like that for no reason. They ended up buying him a new one.

Originally Posted by nuttzzy

i dont see a fuse on the amp i guess its internal. the manual doesnt say anything bout a amp fuse just the inline fuse in the power. in witch come to think of it blew already and i replaced it. i wonder if the amp drew to much current and its damaged someway. i mean ive only had it a year thats why im wondering all this. it was working when i took it out of the last car.
No fuse on the amp what size amp and what size power and ground are you running. If you have to big of wires your amp is pulling to much current. But if your power and ground are 2 different sizes then you could pull to much in and not enough out.

I have 2400 watt Fosegate with OT gauge wiring on both ends and a 250AMP inline fuse with 4 25amp fuses on the amp

Last edited by 2FST4U; 10-19-2008 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 10-19-2008, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by 2FST4U
Same thing happend to my brother when Circuit city did his install. They broke the connection on the inside of the amp going to the RCA's and it would short out like that for no reason. They ended up buying him a new one.

No fuse on the amp what size amp and what size power and ground are you running. If you have to big of wires your amp is pulling to much current. But if your power and ground are 2 different sizes then you could pull to much in and not enough out.

I have 2400 watt Fosegate with OT gauge wiring on both ends and a 250AMP inline fuse with 4 25amp fuses on the amp
im running 4 gauge (power and ground) to a 1000 watt amp. the RCA's pushed in realy easy that might be the problem but that wouldnt cause the amp to turn off. just wouldnt have an output.

i have a 600 watt pioneer im ganan hook it up today and see if it work if it does then its most likly the amp.
Old 10-20-2008, 03:49 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by 2FST4U

the amp wont every pull too much current. and running a smaller ground is bad but not due to pulling in or out or anything like that. and electrical system consists of a pos and a neg so if you have 1/0 power and 12g ground you might as well only run 12g your limited by the current that can flow thru that ground. but theres a good chance it will burn up and **** up the amp more then anything
Old 10-20-2008, 08:59 AM

There it is I knew I was off alil bit.
Old 10-20-2008, 10:28 PM

sounds like amp it self is messed up nothing with wiring