Electronics, Audio, and Video All Audio, Video, Alarms, and all other electronics

Sound deadener

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2013, 08:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sound deadener

Ok so I asked this question on DIYMA as well but I thought I would ask some opinions here as well. I am about to start installing my stereo equipment in my Cobalt.

I have an excessive amount of premium stainmaster carpet pad left over from when I got carpet installed in our living room.

How viable of an option is it to use this stuff as a sort of sound deadening material?

Its a 1/2" thick open cell foam type stuff with a vapor barrier of sorts on one side.

I want to keep the weight down in my car since I have no plans for major performance mods but I want to retain the peppy lightweight feel of the car which is why I am going to simply use the factory pioneer subwoofer with an aftermarket amplifier.

I plan on using this mainly in the trunk, rear deck, and rear fender wells where there isn't moisture present since I am not sure which type of foam is better suited to damp environments. These also seem to be the biggest areas of sound entering my car, the doors don't seem that bad but I plan to later treat the doors to enhance the sound of my CDT Components after I get it all installed and wired.

This is my 1 and only vehicle besides the gf's car who also works full time so I can't afford to have my car down for literally more than a few hours because it seems we are always on the run going somewhere. This is install is going to happen over the course of several weekends. Deaden first, run wires next, figure out amp placement and mounting, and finally install components.

Also my budget for this install is close to nothing and I already have all the equipment from my previous vehicles hence why I ask if this might be a decent material to use since I have almost close to 200 sq ft and its free or garbage otherwise.

Any thoughts or opinions?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:29 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just have to know two things:

Temperature rating-will it melt? or fail in the cold? stink?

And how does it apply? sticky tape? adhesive?
Old 07-14-2013, 10:39 PM

Well its carpet padding. Has no smell, no adhesive, and I don't think it would melt in the temperatures encountered inside the cabin of a car.
Old 07-14-2013, 10:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
so, through some on the trunk lid or whatever rattles, use 3M outdoor wide double stick tape and see if it works. Most sound deadeners used are either butyl, asphalt or foam based.
Old 07-14-2013, 11:01 PM

After some Google fu I did come up with some prior saying that for as cheap as it is it's not a half bad material. Just not as effective as a true mass loaded vinyl product. So I guess we will see eventually.
Old 07-15-2013, 03:12 AM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
as long as you are aware its probably not the best sound deadener since its free might as well go for it. Open cell foam will mold and rot when exposed to moisture so inside the car only.

If it was me i would buy a small amount of alpha damp or second skin damp pro and utilize 10 to 20 percent coverage focusing on the large flat surfaces. then cover that with the carpet pad.. you may even want to double up on it with as much as you have the only issue is getting it to stay on the vertical surface. The rear quarter panels is probably where you will hear the biggest difference using this
Old 07-15-2013, 05:49 PM

I dunno it was just a thought. I have so much of it and no use for it. I do want to treat my doors and rear deck lid though for sure. I plan on using the factory rear 6x9's as dedicated midbass speakers possibly if the frequency response of my components in my doors doesn't satisfy me.
Old 07-15-2013, 09:46 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
while the doors would make the biggest difference and would techniclly be the best place to put this you really really shouldn't as its an open cell foam and should not be exposed to water. anywhere inside the car is fair game but i wouldn't put it anywhere that could get wet.

Mind you im not saying you shouldnt use it. I probably would if i had a bunch laying around but i dont want you to set yourself up for failure. As a household product it may or may not make as big of a difference as you might initially "expect"